1974 302 installation

Hello everyone, just found this place and am hoping for enlightenment. I picked up a project that a fellow had started but aborted. It's a '67 or '68 302 with a c4 put into a coupe. It's been setting for a while and I'm just starting to get on it. I'm getting into the wiring and it looks to me like ford switched from points to electronic ignition in 1975. I have no problem just going with the points and am just wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of by trying to do that. I should probably mention that I hate wiring. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Welcome.
Someone will be able to help for sure. I'd recommend staying with the electronic but that's just me. Others here are far better mechanics than me.
Pictures of the project please.

If you hate wiring, and don't have experience with points, I recommend a distributor like that.

It's a simple 1 or 2 wire hookup (ignition hot to coil terminal, and signal wire to tach terminal if running an aftermarket tach). In addition, all of the service parts for it (cap, rotor, coil, module) are readily available at parts stores, just tell the countermonkey you've got a 70s Chevrolet with a 350. In addition to that, no points to maintain, no ballast resistor needed, no condenser, none of that mess. No external coil to mount either.

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to Stangnet!

I can't think of anything that you probably haven't already thought of. It's been a LONG time since I've dealt with points though. Depending on your budget, there are a number of ways to do away with points and the required maintenance. As @74stang2togo linked, you could go with an updated distributor. Or you could go with a full aftermarket system, something like MSD. You'd have easy to follow instructions if you bought a new set up with the benefits of eliminating maintenance and a hotter, more consistent spark. As long as you have a meter, neither way should prove too difficult to get working.

As far as your engine goes, if it's from 67 it should be a 289, if it's from 68 it could be a 302. The 302 was introduced for 68. :)

You can also use the distributor you have. Just buy a Pertonix I. They work great and you don't have to mess with adjusting the breaker.
That is how I will do it and how my 66 coupe runs since 10 years.

Reactions: 1 user
You can also use the distributor you have. Just buy a Pertonix I. They work great and you don't have to mess with adjusting the breaker.
That is how I will do it and how my 66 coupe runs since 10 years.

Pertronix, while a fantastic product (and I mean that, I've NEVER heard a bad thing about them, and the one time I've encountered it in the field I was impressed), costs more, and when other things in the distributor wear out, nobody stocks the parts at the local level anymore, they'd have to be ordered. It's a good option, and if originality was a goal the one I'd advocate (but we're talking a V8 into a 74 Mustang II, so originality is out the window).

The other advantage of the new distributor from Pro-comp is there's no potentially worn-out parts in it.

BUT... you're not wrong. Both opinions on how to remedy this are 100% valid, I'm just re-iterating mine because I'm bored and like to argue. :jester:

Reactions: 2 users
Both opinions on how to remedy this are 100% valid, I'm just re-iterating mine because I'm bored and like to argue. :jester:

I did this kit on our 289 Cobra II, from flea bay;

This is what I picked for ignition.

s-l64-jpg.jpg
DonUkE4oRhiGKhmNkPQX8A.jpg

After determining the GM style HEI won't fit with the stock air cleaner. I got an small cap HEI, in blue.
130$ plus 15$ shipping so it was the right price for sure.

Hello everyone, just found this place and am hoping for enlightenment. I picked up a project that a fellow had started but aborted. It's a '67 or '68 302 with a c4 put into a coupe. It's been setting for a while and I'm just starting to get on it. I'm getting into the wiring and it looks to me like ford switched from points to electronic ignition in 1975. I have no problem just going with the points and am just wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of by trying to do that. I should probably mention that I hate wiring. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Welcome.
Someone will be able to help for sure. I'd recommend staying with the electronic but that's just me. Others here are far better mechanics than me.
Hi,
Welcome.

Thanks for the fast responses. Here's images of the car and some wiring, as requested. I think I will check into the pro-comp distributor first. Seems pretty sweet and the cap is red. 74stang, are you serious about the 350 chevy?

Attachments

• 20200625_184902.jpg
    20200625_184902.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20200625_184735.jpg
    20200625_184735.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 20200625_184948.jpg
    20200625_184948.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 20200625_185220.jpg
    20200625_185220.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 181
Thanks for the fast responses. Here's images of the car and some wiring, as requested. I think I will check into the pro-comp distributor first. Seems pretty sweet and the cap is red. 74stang, are you serious about the 350 chevy?
The distributor is just a copy of a Chevy HEI distributor made to fit a Ford. Just run 1975+ Ford 302 plug wires, the correct spark plugs for your engine, and should you need to replace the tune-up parts on that pro-comp distributor, tell the parts guy at the counter it's for a 1975 Chevy C10 with a 350.

Like I said though, @extra_stout isn't wrong in his opinion that you should upgrade your existing distributor. Now that I see that you already have an upgraded coil, and have all that air cleaner clearance (sometimes an issue with an HEI style distributor, but not often) it's something to consider.

The original distributor will not have a good timing curve without disassembly and modification. If you are not interested in this work, buy a aftermarket distributor with a modified timing curve. Modified means a reduced mechanical advance of 20° and a adjustable vacuum advance box.
I don't like the looks of the HEI system, but that is a personal thing. And I always use old distributors because I like to fiddle with things...

If you buy a new one, check twice that it has a cast gear not a steel gear (only valid for roller cams)...

If you consider the last 2 responses and take another look at what I suggested earlier, here is what I currently run on my 302. As I said before, there are instructions included and as long as you can operate a meter you shouldn't have much problem getting the car running with this setup. The downside is the cost involved, but you may be able to get lucky and find some used parts on eBay or Craigslist.

Here is my distributor:

And here is my MSD box:

If you're interested in seeing some of what it takes to adjust the advance on these distributors, you can take a look at my thread about adjusting the air fuel ratio for my car (The thread link should be in my signature). There is a couple posts about double checking the advance I was running and at what RPM it was all in. Again, this isn't a cheap option and you should be able to get it running with points should you choose to go that route, and none of the other options are bad at all. I think it would just boil down to your personal choice and what kind of budget you have to get it going.

Thanks all again for the info. Cost is somewhat an issue and I'm not planning any street racing but it would be nice to get it right the first time. I got this a couple of years ago having never even heard it run. I was a so-so wrench back in the day but that was way back in the day. My first education on this thing so far was on c4's and all the different flexplates. But I just don't seem to feel right unless there's some kind of motorized project around. it's a sickness.

Reactions: 1 users