1975 351W largest camshaft?

Hey guys, my stang isnt classic, its a 90 Coupe, but im still into the old school and im putting a 351W in it. The problem im having is that it was completely overhauled a few years ago, and it was bored .040 over stock. The valvetrain is 100% stock as far as i know, but all replaced so everything is new. I was wondering if anyone knows how big of a cam i can put in that motor with the stock heads(ported and polished) , valve springs, rocker arms, pushrods etc. Eventually i would like to get some aftermarket heads, but the funds arent there right now. Also, does anyone know what a .040 over 351W comes out to in Cubic Inches? is it a 359? thanks, any help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

yes it is 359 cubic inch's. As far as how big what heads are you running? factory 75 windsor heads? In 1975 and later, the 351W valve size was reduced to a 302 combination which was 1.78/1.45-inch valve set used on 289/302s. Not exactly a great head to allow your 351w to breath. As far as max lift is concerned you should really measure but i doubt it is 2 much higher then .500.

You should keep it under .500" lift.
If you have press in studs, you are probably going to pull them right up after .500". Even at .480", 'spirited' driving, combined with decent aftermarket springs has been known to pull studs time to time.
Duration doesn't matter much. It is lift and spring pressure.
Kinda a catch 22 because you need good spring pressure to utilize a performance cam, but good springs will pull up your studs or even your small pedestal bolts.
Speaking of pedestal mounts, the aluminum fulcrums can gall right up with good springs or extra lift.
Good luck
Dave

BTW: I have stock 72 302 heads using Comp 942s (iirc) and Lunati 218/.488" cam. Haven't pulled a stud yet, knock on wood... ;)
This is a little bigger than I wanted, but the price was right.

If it's a stock reman 75 351W, then it's got about an 8 to 1 comp ratio. You'll need an RV style cam for that. Something no bigger than a Comp Cams 268H, otherwise you're going to be real dissappointed in a big ass cam. Or go with an EFI style grind that's intended for low comp ratios.

wow that definately blows, haha! geez, i'd prolly be better off just throwing a carb and intake on my roller 302 thats already in the car than doing this stock 351W, this is getting depressing, haha! what do you think if i put aftermarket pistons in and get some windsor Sr. heads for it to bump comp. up to around 10:1? then go with the big cam? i just dont want to waste money on junk i dont really want anyway. thanks for help so far guys, i really appreciate it!

well bumping the compression to 10 to 1 and a set of windsor sr heads sounds like a great idea. Should be a very torquey engine and a lot of fun. I would recomend the cam i bought the XE 274 comp cam and a wiend stealth dual plane intake. If you want less torque and more upper hp then a vic jr works nicely on the 351w.

wow that definately blows, haha! geez, i'd prolly be better off just throwing a carb and intake on my roller 302 thats already in the car than doing this stock 351W, this is getting depressing, haha! what do you think if i put aftermarket pistons in and get some windsor Sr. heads for it to bump comp. up to around 10:1? then go with the big cam? i just dont want to waste money on junk i dont really want anyway. thanks for help so far guys, i really appreciate it!

Yea, mid 70's spec'd 302's and 351W's weren't known to be performance engines by any stretch. I'd at least make sure of just what heads are on the 351 before shopping for others. If it's got C9OE or D0OE's on it, you might want to just swap pistons.