76_Cobraii_mustang

Jul 23, 2018

Attachments

• Sponsors (?)

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Painting is all about the prep, same as the chroming process. You have to be patient when prepping anything for finishing and get it as good as you possibly can before applying a final coat. As far as painting goes, you can always work on blemishes and repaint until you're happy with the result, but once chromed it'll be that way unless you have it re-chromed again. Of course, that also depends on how much prep work the chrome shop will do for you and how meticulous they'll be. I say keep at it, I think you'll get it figured out given some time!

76_Cobraii_mustang

Jul 23, 2018
I wanted to use the aluminum kits. The one I got did not fit. I am only painting the edges were the chrome was. Then I will install the aluminum
. I am going to use my original aluminum and cut that ac vent out. I can re-sand hem and make them look like new. Nothing will fit like factory.
Thanks
Chris

76_Cobraii_mustang

Jul 23, 2018
Hey I need a black drivers door panel. It can have the wood because I can use my aluminum but I need a black one if someone has one for sale.
Thanks!

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
How should I prep it?
Sorry man! That's a question I can't really answer. The best I can give is general info - make sure it's clean (free from dust, oil, etc.) and as straight/true as possible. What we did in an industrial paint booth was wiped everything down with MEK or acetone immediately before painting to remove any oils and made sure that there was no lint left over from our rags. Hopefully this helps a little! Otherwise you may be better off asking someone with a lot more experience with body and paint than I. What I do know is it's a tedious process when you want to get it right so patience is key.

76_Cobraii_mustang

Jul 23, 2018
Have not been able to work on it so I figured I would show spme of the new stuff I got for it. All repro stuff I got for Christmas the rest I bought. Front tucked bumper and all weatherstripping.

Attachments

Reactions: LILCBRA and ttbit

76_Cobraii_mustang

Jul 23, 2018
There probably won’t be many updates on this till summer. I realized there are no engine pics though so here are some. I have an original 60s cobra dual quad intake with two four barrel carter carburetors. Some day I will get an oval air cleaner. I am fixing an 83 gt now though you can see it in my content. I will be fixing that car untill summer and then back to the cobra.

Attachments

2Blue2

Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Wow! the Dual quads and the tall filler neck cobra valve covers are a neat set up.

Manoah

Jul 28, 2018
San Diego
im about to strip out my interior and do what you did, is there an easy way to do that? also, i'd like to see pics of the instal for that bumper, i hate my stock bumpers and want to tuck both of them.

76_Cobraii_mustang

Jul 23, 2018
The interior is pretty easy. You will need a socket and ratchet for the seats. Two of the seat bolts for the front are under the car. The rest are on top I think. For all the interior panels all you really need is a phillips screwdriver and you should be all set. The rear seat bolt are under the carpet I think. I used a air drill and a wire wheel to get the paint to bare metal. You could probably use a regular drill. If you have any provlems let me know. I probably had the same ones maybe I can help. Let me know Thanks!
Also tucked bumper are not going on until summer. I bought an episode of all girls garage. They tuck the bumpers on a mustang II it is called the forgotten mustang in season 6 or 7. That might help.