1978 302 Mustang Ii Clutch

PnyPower

Feb 3, 2016
Hey guys, new to the forums here... I'm in a bind and need some help...
So I've got a 1978 with the 302 4-speed transmission. Well, recently I had someone replace the starter for me (as I don't have a heated garage up north in the cold here) and he screwed up. Horribly. I brought it into a shop and they said the starter is shot again as well as the flywheel. They can get both with no problems. However, he said looking at it, they might not be able to get the clutch back in there as it's super worn down (This makes sense, because I noticed it would pop out of gear when I would shift from 3rd to 2nd) so I'm looking for a clutch kit. They can't find any anywhere, and I'm having troubles finding one as well. I was told there's 2 or 3 different transmissions for the 78 302 4-speed, and I have the "German" one... Anyone have anywhere I can look or any help? Love this car and don't want to see it go (Just bought it this past summer and was going to restore it.) Resampled_2015-03-18_12-59-14_668.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forums!!

It's been a while since I replaced my clutch assembly, so I may be in the same boat as you sometime. I don't know if this one works or not, but Summit's application chart says it fits?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-75113/reviews/

I did, however, clean up my flywheel and pressure plate and replace the disc. I can't remember where I got it now, but it doesn't seem like it was hard to find.....

You should be able to get the ring gear spun around, I did that with mine. As well, you need to make sure the nose cone on the starter is correct, as there are different ones. If it was loud when cranking, chances are it was close,but not quite right.

You may have luck checking with a local transmission shop, especially one that deals with manuals more than automatics. They may be able to point you in the right direction for either a new set or someone who could rebuild your pressure plate. The clutch disc itself shouldn't be too hard to find. I got a new disc a couple of years ago, but couldn't find anyone that stocked a pressure plate. Mine wasn't in bad shape so I just cleaned it up and reused it. Just my 2 cents for you.....

I sent mine to 'Spec clutch' in Alabama. They rebuilt it to a 'stage ll'. Works great now.

You may have luck checking with a local transmission shop, especially one that deals with manuals more than automatics. They may be able to point you in the right direction for either a new set or someone who could rebuild your pressure plate. The clutch disc itself shouldn't be too hard to find. I got a new disc a couple of years ago, but couldn't find anyone that stocked a pressure plate. Mine wasn't in bad shape so I just cleaned it up and reused it. Just my 2 cents for you.....

Reactions: 1 users