1978 302 Serpentine conversion

Anickm3

Sep 30, 2019
Illinois
Need Help, I am looking to change my 1978 Mii 302 to Serpentine belt, was told that late 80's Mustang 302 parts will fit.
I found a junkyard with a 1989 Mustang with a 302 serpentine system. But before I pay $300 for everything I think I may need
I was hoping to find someone who has converted their Mii to Serpentine like this to see what things I may run into and need to
know about before embarking on this task.

• Sponsors (?)

The most important thing, is that the water pump fits!
- the water pump must match the timing cover (e.g. problems with mechanical fuel pump if you change the timing cover)
- the water pump sets the position of the plane where the serpentine drives
- the water pump needs to have the right rotation direction
In my opinion there is no need to do that, especially if everything is working and it is still original.
If there any problems with your current v-belt, think about solving that issue instead of starting new problems. Start with reporting your issue here…

I swapped an explorer 302 in a 74 Mustang II (which has the short engine bay because of the radiator support beeing diffrent to the later models). I did the swap, because I knew that the explorer 302 front dress is the shortest one available on a 302 and I could get this engine cheap. But it has many downsides. Esspecially I don't like using an electric fuel pump... And i had to do everything custom. Which is fun (to me... partially), but consumes many hours.

If you like to see pictrues check my build thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Get the water pump and all brackets. There's minor differences in the timing cover water pump area between standard and reverse rotation. So you should just get all brackets and bolts and note where they go and swap it all over.