Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Now I remember why I don’t like dickin with go pro media transfer…Between getting it off the camera and into my phone, then looking at that, and determining the snore factor, then have to teach myself how to edit that thing down to make it more watchable…..I just don’t want to spend this much time doing dumb assed sht.

And now that I’ve watched it, there is no sensation of speed in the video. The hard acceleration up to the 1-2 gear change is a 2 second blip, followed by another at the 3-4.

Absolutely pointless video.

I did get to see what I haven’t been able to see due to fact that I can’t take my eyes off the road and watch for it,….but the water meth activation light ( which I woulda swore was never coming on) is clearly lighting up every time I get into high boost.

Until I can figure out how a video taken from inside can convey what it feels like under hard acceleration …..there’s no point in posting it.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
And now that I’ve watched it, there is no sensation of speed in the video. The hard acceleration up to the 1-2 gear change is a 2 second blip, followed by another at the 3-4.

Absolutely pointless video.

I did get to see what I haven’t been able to see due to fact that I can’t take my eyes off the road and watch for it,….but the water meth activation light ( which I woulda swore was never coming on) is clearly lighting up every time I get into high boost.

Until I can figure out how a video taken from inside can convey what it feels like under hard acceleration …..there’s no point in posting it.
Hang a tennis ball (or something) from the roof so that we can see how much it moves, will provide a sense of G forces.

How about a Dew (or whatever you drink) in the cup holder flying into the back seat under acceleration? Make sure the cap is tight.
Or scaring the heck out of Kate would be entertaining.
Probably should stick with the tennis ball idea.

Today should be the last day I’m using the Monster as daily transportation. Kate will get her car fixed by today’s end. As I pull out this morning, and am slow rolling through my neighborhood, I hear the distinct click-click-click noise letting me know that I have picked up a screw or nail somewhere between my garage/driveway and about a block of road leading away from my house. I stop to find the 1/4” screw that I couldn’t find anywhere a couple of days ago buried about 1/4” deep in the tread of one of the new Nitto rear tires..I was able to wiggle it out, I hope it didn’t get to the point of causing an air leak.

In other news:

The “ next big thing” is seat reupholstery. The Recaro-wannabe Corbeaus I have have failed at the bottom seat bolster twice now ( this is a warranted seat currently in the car). The foam splits where it’s glued under the fabric, and slips downs and exposes the wire frame. The only thing covering the wire frame is the cloth upholstery at this time.

So, thoughts turn to either having them reupholstered and having that bolster fixed when they have the old cloth removed, or buying a set of the real things.

But a Recaro “Expert” is only available in black/black-white houndstooth. And looks to be about 1650.00 ea.
For a freakin seat.

If I get mine reupholstered, they’d match the current black/tan or black/copper theme that is going on in the car. The centers would be perforated.
And I’d do in in a leather match as opposed to actual leather,….these fabrics are so close to leather feel now days, that nobody will ever know anyway.

I just gotta find out how much somebody will charge to reupholster the two front seats.
(I’m sure it won’t be 3 grand)

The other issue with paying somebody to do something like that is the time they take to get it done. The last time I surrendered a set of seats to one of these guys, they had the seats for months…and that ain’t gonna happen this time.

If I do it at all.

The weather looks like it’s going to be good for the most part in MS for my event, I’ll make plans to go forward on drag radials.

Reactions: 3 users
Well,…..not an actual chain gang. But after a day spent sanding with 1000, followed up with 2000, then 3000, then 5000.
Then buffed with a green pad, then buffed with a yellow pad.

I feel like I spent the day cutting weeds with a sling blade along some alabama county back road.

And….
30CF3986-180E-4246-9199-BA8135BA679A.jpeg

Here’s the beef.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well,…..not an actual chain gang. But after a day spent sanding with 1000, followed up with 2000, then 3000, then 5000.
Then buffed with a green pad, then buffed with a yellow pad.

I feel like I spent the day cutting weeds with a sling blade along some alabama county back road.

And….
30CF3986-180E-4246-9199-BA8135BA679A.jpeg

Here’s the beef.
You sanded and buffed your new tires?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nope. Paint. There was orange peel in the sides that I never liked. Now that’s gone, but I have a ton of buffing to get rid of 2000 grit scratches still in front of me.
That's why I hate paint work. I don't have the patience for wet sanding and buffing. That's one of the things I would probably pay someone to do.

As far as the speed sensation of the videos...it would probably be better for it to look out the side so we can see the acceleration of the scenery. Mount it to the passenger window pointing at you so we can see you banging gear.

That's why I hate paint work. I don't have the patience for wet sanding and buffing. That's one of the things I would probably pay someone to do.
As far as the speed sensation of the videos...it would probably be better for it to look out the side so we can see the acceleration of the scenery. Mount it to the passenger window pointing at you so we can see you banging gear.
Yeah, but I won’t be able to drive it with a box on my head.

Sitting on a stool and holding the switch on my compressor is one thing, trying to drive it that way is crazy.

Another brick in the wall…
391A84F0-C75F-4543-972B-FCF7B6A855EC.jpeg

Evidently, my string front end alignment wasn’t very accurate. I had one tire toe out, and no where near the right Caster setting.

50 bucks later, courtesy of the dude you see in the pic, all things that you’d expect a properly set up front end to do, do.

Now that I was able to see the sides of the car they appear much more flat w/o any visible texture. All that’s left to do is finish the buffing.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users
I'm not sure what it looked like before, but that looks pretty damn good. It's hard to see defects in paint in pictures, but that looks slick.
Thanks. it was one hell of a long day spent sitting on my ass on the ground so i could see what the buffer was doing on the sides. By the time the day was done, holding that buffer at chest height horizontally felt like it weighed 30 pounds.
The sides are better than the deck surfaces. I couldn’t see the cut from the buffer in the daylight as well because of the glare. Now that it’s in the garage, the overhead lighting reveals that i need to do some more work.

Well buffing is done. ( It’s probably more accurate to say I’m done with the buffing. Whether it’s actually “done” is a matter of perspective). All I know is that it’s at my 80% level of satisfaction and I’m sick of it.

The car drives much better now that the front end is aligned properly ( imagine that). When i left work, it had rained and the roads were still a little wet. The Nittos we’re still on back, and everything went along just as you’d expect. If it had actually been raining, and the roads had water on them, that might‘ve went a little differently. Having the caster correct and the one tire properly toed in has eliminated the need to constantly correct the cars forward direction.

Not like any of that matters, The Toyo’s are on now. In reality, they have a much better tread design, with way more water channels designed in than the Nitto’s. It just doesnt make sense that the Nittos, as relatively soft as they are don’t hook for sht. The “ fingernail test” on the Toyo’s doesn’t find them to be any softer than the tires I just took off though.

How pissed will I be if these things are just as worthless as the Nittos are for traction?

Its gonna rain here through Thursday morning when I leave to go to Mississippi,…so I won’t know if they’re any better until i get out on the road. Mississippi on the other hand will be freakin perfect weather…It’s just a matter of how far I’ll have to drive south to get past the rain.

Reactions: 8 users