Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

For whatever reason, I went down to the garage last night..I ended up dragging my ass back outta there at 1:40 AM.
To say that i’m a little groggy might not accurately describe my current state.

But I am awake.

And now the heater hoses are already installed, save one. ( there are 4 total, 2 in, 2 out.)

The OD circuit is wired, I checked it with the car off and at 11.9 v in the system, the switched circuit ends up at 4v. I’m thinking once the car is running, that’ll be 5v more or less..And that’s what they wanted that circuit to be. The status light falls through the hole,..I gotta go get some washers to back it up.

I’ll plan to rent the evac pump and manifold gauge set so that I can charge the AC system when I go.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not gonna look like I got anything done,...but I think I did.

Like i said,...it kinda just purrs along.

I spent the morning getting the heater hoses finished, I also thought I was gonna charge the AC system, but the piece of sht O reilly’s evac pump would only pull 15” of vacuum..I know I don’t have a leak, cause it’ll hold 15” of vacuum aa long as I want it to.
So,..that plan piddled away.

I finished the electrical wiring..I needed to create the OD switched circuit.
20200917_175144.jpg

Obviously so is putting the carpet and console back.

I have a heater, and I’ve got heat. when I get a decent evac pump, Ill have AC.

I spent too much time dicking with the waste gate..It was leaking ( still). I changed back to the elcheapo clamps that came with the gate,..They seem to be working for now.

And while I was out, I stopped at Harbor freight. Fully planning on buying a 56” rolling chest, and a 56” top chest as a replacement for the junk Craftsman boxes I’ve had for 25 years now.

When I got there I was happy to find that they had a floor model 72” rolling chest priced the same as the 56” roller.

So,..for 1350.00 i now have a 72” rolling chest, topped with a 56” chest.
1600385286315.jpeg

WOOT!

• Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users

I spent the morning getting the heater hoses finished, I also thought I was gonna charge the AC system, but the piece of sht O reilly’s evac pump would only pull 15” of vacuum..I know I don’t have a leak, cause it’ll hold 15” of vacuum aa long as I want it to.

20200917_175144.jpg

I spent too much time dicking with the waste gate..It was leaking ( still). I changed back to the elcheapo clamps that came with the gate,..They seem to be working for now.

And while I was out, I stopped at Harbor freight. Fully planning on buying a 56” rolling chest, and a 56” top chest as a replacement for the junk Craftsman boxes I’ve had for 25 years now.

When I got there I was happy to find that they had a floor model 72” rolling chest priced the same as the 56” roller.

1600385286315.jpeg

WOOT!

Cheap but good vacuum pump...
Vacuum pump – I use an old refrigerator compressor = $20- $40 at used appliance stores, or go to the Dump and get one for free. Be sure to have some R12 compatible oil handy to keep it lubed up properly.
vacuum-pump1-jpg.jpg

Your new box reminds me of the box setup I used to run around with when I was doing toolmaker work. Mine was a bit smaller than that, but I had a 40" Craftsman Griplatch (or whatever it's called... :shrug: ) with a 30" standard slide Craftsman top box. I still have them, they're just set up differently now. Hopefully that Harbor Freight box holds up well for you.

Oh, and long live the Monster! :rock:

20200917_175144.jpg

1600385286315.jpeg

WOOT!

Good buy. One of the things Harbor Freight does best is the US General toolbox line. My 44" with the side cabinet and custom hutch is over 10 years old, and I only retired it from the shop to the garage because I outgrew it and blew $7000 on a Matco 4S with all the bells and whistles... like a dumbass.

My harbor freight tool box has done really well over the last few years. No complaints at all. I'm starting to outgrow it in the garage. Might spring for the bigger box.

Put the drivers seat in and let’s see this car rolling out of the garage and going for a test drive! You don’t need AC for that!!!
To know me is to love me.

Despite outward appearances, I don’t like to do stuff over.
To get to the AC charge ports, having the intake charge tube off makes it way easier to do. And now that I have a way to evacuate the system ( bought that goofy little HF evacuator for 13.99)
1600458683068.jpeg

And now that I have my own manifold gauge set..
1600458820929.jpeg

59.99 ba-buck-bahs....
And since the top is off the dash, allowing me access to get to any control/switch that might not work, or has come unhooked...

It seems only fitting that I take advantage of that, and NOT have to do that over, or at another time.
So,..It’ll get put on its tires when it’s time,...and I say when that time is.

Now sit back there and be glad that this ride is still going forward..cause if you piss me off, I’ll just turn the whole damn thing around, and nobody is gonna get any ice cream tonight.

Be vewy vewy careful with that Harbor Freight gauge set. It's decent, except the knobs. They break off. And not really from tightening or loosening the valves. But bump the set into something and buh bye knob. Happened to 2 sets in less than 3 uses of each set.

just discovered this. For 20 bucks, I’ll try it.

Glad you took my advice on this one. Fair warning, that little $14 venturi vacuum pump needs a bitching air compressor to run it. They work every bit as well as the electric driven ones though. I like to suck down my AC systems for at least 30 minutes to boil off any possible moisture in the system. I have a 6hp 60 gallon that runs continuously to get the job done. I assumed given the amount of car work you do, that you probably have a very decent air compressor. I replaced both HVACs on my house as well, and sucked them down with that same stupid little $14 pump. Worked perfect, and the AC in my house blows ice cold as well.

Kurt

Last edited:
The Sturgis Rally ended up causing very few directly attributable cases of C-19. Mainstream media had doom and gloom reports, but the actual numbers (health dept reports from family in the area) were pretty minor. All I can figure out is that ethanol is a good sanitizer inside and out! (Or most anyone who felt off stayed away and a lot of partying was outside).
I hope you get to drive this creation before flu and snow season.

just waiting on thevfittings

I was thinking that you was gonna cite the Rona Virus..
I guarantee ya, just like Sturgis, the majority of the people participating in this event will be the same type of non-mask wearing “ fake-virus” claiming types too.

The Sturgis Rally ended up causing very few directly attributable cases of C-19. Mainstream media had doom and gloom reports, but the actual numbers (health dept reports from family in the area) were pretty minor. All I can figure out is that ethanol is a good sanitizer inside and out! (Or most anyone who felt off stayed away and a lot of partying was outside).
I hope you get to drive this creation before flu and snow season.

I read another research piece that said Sturgis attributed to 20% of the new cases in the US through contract tracing. It's apples and oranges though. You are pretty safe outside in the fall heat as far as I know. I lived in Daytona for almost 9 years, and I am very familiar with the biker crowd. It's not the hanging out on the street talking about motorcycles. It's when they get into the bars at night listening to "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" on repeat, start screaming while drinking, and by midnight they are wife swapping. They are all dentists, doctors, and orthodontists (I mean who else can afford a Harley these days) that grow their beards out once a year for a biker event. So they are all back working on your kid's teeth 9am Tuesday morning after 9 other orthodontists banged their wife over the weekend.

Kurt

• Haha
Do not forget about the accountants and stock brokers with new Harleys.
An vintage Indian owner I know heads somewhere else in the area and camps out rather than renting a house for the week.

I read another research piece that said Sturgis attributed to 20% of the new cases in the US through contract tracing. It's apples and oranges though. You are pretty safe outside in the fall heat as far as I know. I lived in Daytona for almost 9 years, and I am very familiar with the biker crowd. It's not the hanging out on the street talking about motorcycles. It's when they get into the bars at night listening to "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" on repeat, start screaming while drinking, and by midnight they are wife swapping. They are all dentists, doctors, and orthodontists (I mean who else can afford a Harley these days) that grow their beards out once a year for a biker event. So they are all back working on your kid's teeth 9am Tuesday morning after 9 other orthodontists banged their wife over the weekend.

Kurt

• Haha