1978 Fairmont Build. How 5/16” may as well be a mile.

When Mike tries to cut the Aerocatch fasteners into the original hood, will I:

• Do it up

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Screw it up

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
7:30 AM after probably one of the worst nights of sleep I’ve had in a week. Since last Wednesday, i haven’t had even so much as a sniff of beer. So before anybody starts thinkin that “Whiskey Man“ is the new 3AMD,...dont.

Broccoli is.

Since i’m cooking for myself, and Kate is still away, I take these “ opportunities“ to make the kinda junk that I grew up on that she won’t eat. In this case,.....Trainer park tuna casserole.
1 can Campbell’s Cream of mushroom soup.
1 can of Tuna in spring water.
1 bag of wide egg noodles.
1 bag of frozen broccoli cuts.
1/2 cup of milk to add a sauce like consistency.
1/2 bag of cheddar cheese.

It all gets put together after the noodles are cooked in a 8x8 baking dish, topped with cheese, and then put in the oven for like 30 minutes..

Then it’s Viking feast time. Except this time the aftermath is strictly the stuff of Old white guy of Russian descent legend.

I find out ( to my discontent) when you eat half a pan of this stuff one night, and come back the next night and finish it off, the reputation that broccoli has for creating intestinal gas is not to be taken lightly. Only this stuff was trapped inside, too far down to get out either way it typically can. So....

Pain like giving birth to an alien out of your stomach ensues,....for about two hours.

So,..not only am I giving up drinking whiskey,...i ain’t never looking at a broccoli ever again.
Substituting a drained can of peas or mixed vegetables makes this casserole easier to digest and still objectionable to the palate. Frozen veggies help, but kind of negate the name.

• Sponsors(?)

revhead347

Just rub Vaseline all over
15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
Since i’m cooking for myself, and Kate is still away, I take these “ opportunities“ to make the kinda junk that I grew up on that she won’t eat. In this case,.....Trainer park tuna casserole.
1 can Campbell’s Cream of mushroom soup.
1 can of Tuna in spring water.
1 bag of wide egg noodles.
1 bag of frozen broccoli cuts.
1/2 cup of milk to add a sauce like consistency.
1/2 bag of cheddar cheese.
Damn dude. That's a recipe for disaster or success. Should have just gone straight to the track, hung your ass out the window, and jet farted yourself to a 9 second quarter mile.

I have the same problem. My wife does not eat spaghetti or meatloaf. If she is away for the evening, I am eating one of those two things.

Kurt

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Excepting some missing hardware..this thing is finally done. The bolts that hold the PH bar aren’t long enough to get completely into the locknut, and one rod end is missing a jamnut that is now ordered,...but other than that..this cake is cooked.
20201025_200147.jpg
20201025_200357.jpg
20201025_200225.jpg
20201025_200127.jpg

This was by far one of the hardest things i have ever undertaken.The amount of work involved to get everything this way is probably close to 60 hours. Even swapping in the 2 j was less tedious.

But i gotta say, I think the thing looks pretty killer...and there is already a softer ride and way less binding than what was there before with the 4 link. So, if you’re gonna do one of these things, it comes down to:

$300.00 and about a bagillion hours of laying on your back, breathing welding fumes and grinding dust...or..
You pay 1000.00 to MM and still have to lay on your back.. just not as much time, way less welding fumes, and no grinding dust.
But you still get the softer ride, less binding, and a potentially better hooking car.

Attachments

• 20201025_200147.jpg
    20201025_200147.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
It will be interesting to see if the driver's side shock absorber panhard bar mounting bolt moves up and down in a straight line or an arc...

• Happy
Reactions: xecute

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
It will be interesting to see if the driver's side shock absorber panhard bar mounting bolt moves up and down in a straight line or an arc...
I followed the rule...Make the thing as long as possible, mounted level at ride height, and both mount points are plumbed exactly the same off center.

Reactions: hoopty5.0

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
It should move in an arc, but the same arc each time so it is predictable while driving. As long as the bar is, I hope it is not noticeable from the driver’s couch seat.
A Watts link, like this one for a newer Mustang so everybody knows what I’m talking about, should prevent the rear axle traveling in an arc. But the complications of making a custom one is probably not worth the benefits for this application. It might be if Mike is planning on road racing or not in a straight line track time.
https://www.enjukuracing.com/produc...erm=4577473067330491&utm_content=All Products

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Even if the rear moves following the arc, it's a predictable, and small, movement.

I like it. Looks rather professional.

67coupe

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2002
Huntsville, AL
The rear end will move side to side with the arc. That’s why making the pan hard as long as possible is optimal (minimizes the side movement).

This should be miles ahead of the Quadra-bind. Curious to hear about how it drives.

revhead347

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
Looks like a pretty exhausting setup to put in. We are going to have to talk about those welds at some point though.

Kurt

• Potroast

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
It should move in an arc, but the same arc each time so it is predictable while driving. As long as the bar is, I hope it is not noticeable from the driver’s couch seat.
A Watts link, like this one for a newer Mustang so everybody knows what I’m talking about, should prevent the rear axle traveling in an arc. But the complications of making a custom one is probably not worth the benefits for this application. It might be if Mike is planning on road racing or not in a straight line track time.
https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/whiteline-rear-watts-link-kdt916.html?msclkid=c13f0935644b1c21778b56a3ac67ac0c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CT-RB-Shopping (All Other Product)(High)&utm_term=4577473067330491&utm_content=All Products
Looks like a pretty exhausting setup to put in. We are going to have to talk about those welds at some point though.

Kurt
What, ...that they are excessive, or that they come as a result of laying on the ground not being able to get your hooded head in to see what you are doing?
Im pleased with my welds..They aren’t pissy , blubbery, or splattery....

In the spirit of that giant orange child that runs the country......But,.. What about _________________’s welds?...You didn’t say nothing about ________________________’s welds. SO UNFAIR!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: xecute and a91what

revhead347

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
What, ...that they are excessive, or that they come as a result of laying on the ground not being able to get your hooded head in to see what you are doing?
Im pleased with my welds..They aren’t pissy , blubbery, or splattery....

In the spirit of that giant orange child that runs the country......But,.. What about _________________’s welds?...You didn’t say nothing about ________________________’s welds. SO UNFAIR!

LMAO. Don't you love those youtube welding videos where the guy is standing in a well lit shop working on a piece of metal in a vice. Ok dude, now do it on your back in an awkward position under a car on jackstands with at least 2 spiders crawling on you. I would embrace the ugliness of those welds, since scientifically, the ugly welds hold up just as well as the pretty ones in situations like this. However, that looks a little too boogery for my taste. I'd have spent a little more time on that.

Kurt

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
LMAO. Don't you love those youtube welding videos where the guy is standing in a well lit shop working on a piece of metal in a vice. Ok dude, now do it on your back in an awkward position under a car on jackstands with at least 2 spiders crawling on you. I would embrace the ugliness of those welds, since scientifically, the ugly welds hold up just as well as the pretty ones in situations like this. However, that looks a little too boogery for my taste. I'd have spent a little more time on that.

Kurt
Oh look...I found a place for you to jump off of..
1603759969451.jpeg

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
There’s this: https://www.emeraldcoastcruizin.com/index.html

Whereas the Crusin the coast thing is on the MS gulf coast, happens in early October, and is strung out between 4-5 cities along that area, this thing is entirely in Panama City Fla. 4 days in mid November, then again in March.

I can make this thing ..With a new Torque Arm, a new Tiny Wheezer, new carpet, and a working speedo. :banana:

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
@jrichker , @RaggedGT , @droopie85gt , @Davedacarpainter , @90sickfox , @hoopty5.0 , @Mustang5L5 , @95BlueStallion , @General karthief , @revhead347 , @JMGlasgow , @7991LXnSHO , @rdharper02 , @Rdub6, @Foxslider , @a91what , @stanglx2002 , @KZGUNS , @02 281 GT , @xecute @Noobz347

Im sure i’m missing a bunch of people here,...if I did, it’s because i can’t remember everyone right off the bat,..you guys are the ones that I’m sure ive offended or insulted at one time or another.

I‘ve re-read a lot of what i’ve said here over the last year. I don’t like it. I’ll admit to being a snarky smart ass as part of my normal behavior, but after looking back at some of the things i’ve said,...”snarky, and smart ass” is putting it mildly.

Its more like a condescending, obnoxious, inconsiderate prick.

Not who or what I really want to be.

Everytime i’ve looked into one of my replies that are over the top, I’d be willing to bet I’d also been drinking right before.
Self examination reveals that the addition of alcohol takes my normal snarky smart ass, and amps it up to the above set of character flaws.
Ive cut whiskey out of my life. Hopefully, now i’ll have the temperance to keep my mouth shut when I’d just as soon say something intolerant & critical instead.

In the end, my reason for tagging all of you is to apologize directly to as many of you as I can. Sorry for being “that guy”.

MustangIIMatt

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
@jrichker , @RaggedGT , @droopie85gt , @Davedacarpainter , @90sickfox , @hoopty5.0 , @Mustang5L5 , @95BlueStallion , @General karthief , @revhead347 , @JMGlasgow , @7991LXnSHO , @rdharper02 , @Rdub6, @Foxslider , @a91what , @stanglx2002 , @KZGUNS , @02 281 GT , @xecute @Noobz347

Im sure i’m missing a bunch of people here,...if I did, it’s because i can’t remember everyone right off the bat,..you guys are the ones that I’m sure ive offended or insulted at one time or another.

I‘ve re-read a lot of what i’ve said here over the last year. I don’t like it. I’ll admit to being a snarky smart ass as part of my normal behavior, but after looking back at some of the things i’ve said,...”snarky, and smart ass” is putting it mildly.

Its more like a condescending, obnoxious, inconsiderate prick.

Not who or what I really want to be.

Everytime i’ve looked into one of my replies that are over the top, I’d be willing to bet I’d also been drinking right before.
Self examination reveals that the addition of alcohol takes my normal snarky smart ass, and amps it up to the above set of character flaws.
Ive cut whiskey out of my life. Hopefully, now i’ll have the temperance to keep my mouth shut when I’d just as soon say something intolerant & critical instead.

In the end, my reason for tagging all of you is to apologize directly to as many of you as I can. Sorry for being “that guy”.
I wasn't included. :cry:

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Who are you and where da hell is mike????
Apologize, aplolity, apollo, damn I can't even say it but I can except it.
I cut off the drinking long time ago, my fuse was beer. And I drinks a lot back then.
You prolly didn't notice but I stopped posting in this thread awhile back, mostly because of your arrogance with deleting your old thread.
I still say that was the second most entertaining thread here, second only to the guy with the 'pretentious hat'.

• Hell Yeah!

KZGUNS

I can swing up to 11”
Jul 23, 2018
chardon, Ohio
ehh no hard feelings. my skin isn't that thin. You did manage to get me to get the better block for my build so I'm happy about that!!

• Hell Yeah!

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
:shrug: I work in the construction industry you have to try pretty hard to get me riled up. Insults and WTF moments are commonplace, work would be boring without them.

That said no hard feelings Mike.

• Clever