Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

It will be interesting to see if the driver's side shock absorber panhard bar mounting bolt moves up and down in a straight line or an arc...
I followed the rule...Make the thing as long as possible, mounted level at ride height, and both mount points are plumbed exactly the same off center.

Reactions: 1 user
It will be interesting to see if the driver's side shock absorber panhard bar mounting bolt moves up and down in a straight line or an arc...
It should move in an arc, but the same arc each time so it is predictable while driving. As long as the bar is, I hope it is not noticeable from the driver’s couch seat.
A Watts link, like this one for a newer Mustang so everybody knows what I’m talking about, should prevent the rear axle traveling in an arc. But the complications of making a custom one is probably not worth the benefits for this application. It might be if Mike is planning on road racing or not in a straight line track time.
https://www.enjukuracing.com/produc...erm=4577473067330491&utm_content=All Products

The rear end will move side to side with the arc. That’s why making the pan hard as long as possible is optimal (minimizes the side movement).

This should be miles ahead of the Quadra-bind. Curious to hear about how it drives.

It should move in an arc, but the same arc each time so it is predictable while driving. As long as the bar is, I hope it is not noticeable from the driver’s couch seat.
A Watts link, like this one for a newer Mustang so everybody knows what I’m talking about, should prevent the rear axle traveling in an arc. But the complications of making a custom one is probably not worth the benefits for this application. It might be if Mike is planning on road racing or not in a straight line track time.
https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/whiteline-rear-watts-link-kdt916.html?msclkid=c13f0935644b1c21778b56a3ac67ac0c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CT-RB-Shopping (All Other Product)(High)&utm_term=4577473067330491&utm_content=All Products
Looks like a pretty exhausting setup to put in. We are going to have to talk about those welds at some point though.

Kurt
What, ...that they are excessive, or that they come as a result of laying on the ground not being able to get your hooded head in to see what you are doing?
Im pleased with my welds..They aren’t pissy , blubbery, or splattery....

In the spirit of that giant orange child that runs the country......But,.. What about _________________’s welds?...You didn’t say nothing about ________________________’s welds. SO UNFAIR!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
What, ...that they are excessive, or that they come as a result of laying on the ground not being able to get your hooded head in to see what you are doing?
Im pleased with my welds..They aren’t pissy , blubbery, or splattery....

In the spirit of that giant orange child that runs the country......But,.. What about _________________’s welds?...You didn’t say nothing about ________________________’s welds. SO UNFAIR!

LMAO. Don't you love those youtube welding videos where the guy is standing in a well lit shop working on a piece of metal in a vice. Ok dude, now do it on your back in an awkward position under a car on jackstands with at least 2 spiders crawling on you. I would embrace the ugliness of those welds, since scientifically, the ugly welds hold up just as well as the pretty ones in situations like this. However, that looks a little too boogery for my taste. I'd have spent a little more time on that.

Kurt

LMAO. Don't you love those youtube welding videos where the guy is standing in a well lit shop working on a piece of metal in a vice. Ok dude, now do it on your back in an awkward position under a car on jackstands with at least 2 spiders crawling on you. I would embrace the ugliness of those welds, since scientifically, the ugly welds hold up just as well as the pretty ones in situations like this. However, that looks a little too boogery for my taste. I'd have spent a little more time on that.

Kurt
Oh look...I found a place for you to jump off of..
1603759969451.jpeg

• Haha
There’s this: https://www.emeraldcoastcruizin.com/index.html

Whereas the Crusin the coast thing is on the MS gulf coast, happens in early October, and is strung out between 4-5 cities along that area, this thing is entirely in Panama City Fla. 4 days in mid November, then again in March.

I can make this thing ..With a new Torque Arm, a new Tiny Wheezer, new carpet, and a working speedo. :banana:

• Happy
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
@jrichker , @RaggedGT , @droopie85gt , @Davedacarpainter , @90sickfox , @hoopty5.0 , @Mustang5L5 , @95BlueStallion , @General karthief , @revhead347 , @JMGlasgow , @7991LXnSHO , @rdharper02 , @Rdub6, @Foxslider , @a91what , @stanglx2002 , @KZGUNS , @02 281 GT , @xecute @Noobz347

Im sure i’m missing a bunch of people here,...if I did, it’s because i can’t remember everyone right off the bat,..you guys are the ones that I’m sure ive offended or insulted at one time or another.

I‘ve re-read a lot of what i’ve said here over the last year. I don’t like it. I’ll admit to being a snarky smart ass as part of my normal behavior, but after looking back at some of the things i’ve said,...”snarky, and smart ass” is putting it mildly.

Its more like a condescending, obnoxious, inconsiderate prick.

Not who or what I really want to be.

Everytime i’ve looked into one of my replies that are over the top, I’d be willing to bet I’d also been drinking right before.
Self examination reveals that the addition of alcohol takes my normal snarky smart ass, and amps it up to the above set of character flaws.
Ive cut whiskey out of my life. Hopefully, now i’ll have the temperance to keep my mouth shut when I’d just as soon say something intolerant & critical instead.

In the end, my reason for tagging all of you is to apologize directly to as many of you as I can. Sorry for being “that guy”.

• Informative
  • Surprised
Reactions: 8 users
@jrichker , @RaggedGT , @droopie85gt , @Davedacarpainter , @90sickfox , @hoopty5.0 , @Mustang5L5 , @95BlueStallion , @General karthief , @revhead347 , @JMGlasgow , @7991LXnSHO , @rdharper02 , @Rdub6, @Foxslider , @a91what , @stanglx2002 , @KZGUNS , @02 281 GT , @xecute @Noobz347

Im sure i’m missing a bunch of people here,...if I did, it’s because i can’t remember everyone right off the bat,..you guys are the ones that I’m sure ive offended or insulted at one time or another.

I‘ve re-read a lot of what i’ve said here over the last year. I don’t like it. I’ll admit to being a snarky smart ass as part of my normal behavior, but after looking back at some of the things i’ve said,...”snarky, and smart ass” is putting it mildly.

Its more like a condescending, obnoxious, inconsiderate prick.

Not who or what I really want to be.

Everytime i’ve looked into one of my replies that are over the top, I’d be willing to bet I’d also been drinking right before.
Self examination reveals that the addition of alcohol takes my normal snarky smart ass, and amps it up to the above set of character flaws.
Ive cut whiskey out of my life. Hopefully, now i’ll have the temperance to keep my mouth shut when I’d just as soon say something intolerant & critical instead.

In the end, my reason for tagging all of you is to apologize directly to as many of you as I can. Sorry for being “that guy”.
I wasn't included. :cry:

• Haha
  • Agree
Who are you and where da hell is mike????
Apologize, aplolity, apollo, damn I can't even say it but I can except it.
I cut off the drinking long time ago, my fuse was beer. And I drinks a lot back then.
You prolly didn't notice but I stopped posting in this thread awhile back, mostly because of your arrogance with deleting your old thread.
I still say that was the second most entertaining thread here, second only to the guy with the 'pretentious hat'.

• Hell Yeah!
Same here. No hard feelings.
I used to feel bad for the new members that didn’t know you, and your style.
If it was possible, those that came, and went away because of it, deserve the apology more than the regulars here.

All that being said..... looking forward to seeing this car going and some pics from the Florida show!

Your sparky remarks and brutal honesty don't bother me one bit. I understand when folks cut the drinking and stuff...but I don't get riled up over anything anyone types on the interwebs. You have been the resident grouch that we have all come to admire. If no one else says it we know that you will.

They say alcohol brings the truth out...maybe its telling you to be the mean arse, crotchety, honest, ( sometimes ) brutal man that you have become.

Don't hold the remarks in brother....let them out.

Anyone that reads your threads knows that you aren't an a55hle.

How can we poke the bear if the bear doesn't lash out ? :stick:

All good Mike. I’m not around as much as I was prior to buying my fixer upper, so I think I’ve missed a lot of it. I support you if your looking to make self improvement. I’ve had to do that in my own ways the last couple years.