Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

Can't wait to see a video of the Monster now.

That flutter will get on your nerves after a while. I had a Turbosmart BOV on my ecoboost. It made all types of head turning noises. Now that I've swapped out the exhaust and BOV to stock I actually like it better.

Granted...my eco is no Monster at all.
I will not drive it enough for that noise to ever get on my nerves.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Turbo flutter sounds amazing. Now all these new cars have these fancy recirc valves that work so flawlessly and smooth, it sounds like a mouse sneezing. My new turbo car makes no cool turbo noises at all. I was asking on the forums as to which valve I needed to make it flutter, and everyone thought I was an idiot. "Flutter is bad, it means the recirc valve isn't working right!" I don't care if it's bad, I want it. What's the point of having a turbo car, if it doesn't make turbo noises?

Those flutter noises just come from old BOVs that were a crude but affective design, the vacuum valve and the balance spring get in fight, and the blow off valve bounces back and forth a little bit.

Kurt
I’ve had a Chinee copy of a Tial 60mm bov on the Monster since day 1. The thing has always worked, and is extremely loud. The escaping boost pressure is a literal blast of air when I lift.
No bouncy, just one big PSSHHHTTT!

The noise you’re after is the old HKS or Greddy Bov sound as stated by Kurt . My tial 50 on my blower car is stupid loud and just a rush of air like you said

The learning curve for the car now, and the insane application of power at the wrong time almost cost me dearly.

I took the car to work today. It needed gas first, so I took it down the street, filled it, and left out for work. I’m thinking as I start out..

“ I wonder if I’m short shifting this thing, let’s see what happens if I flat foot it to 7 grand and then shift”

Before I tell you what happens when you do that, let’s all just collectively try to guess how fast a car like this might be going at the top of first gear at 7000 rpm...

What do ya think,..40, 50, maybe 60 mph?

Whatever speed that is, at 7000 this thing becomes an animal, the tires literally scream, and the car violently gets out of shape..
I lift...it snaps back the other way,...It’s sliding towards the median, but for having had experience in trying to control a skidding car this whole story would be over now, with the nose of the monster buried into the median of the 4 lane divided highway I tried this out on..Obviously, I didn’t wreck.

But I got the sht scared out of me nonetheless.

This is a weird thing for me, the car is not that fast up to the point where it hits 15 psi, but once it does,...
it’s INSANE!

It was partially my fault..I pulled that stunt in a slight curve in the highway...in other words,...not quite straight.

Because I’m not the type to let a car scare me, I’m also not the type to do something stupid like that twice...The next time I try it, I’m absolutely straight.
My rear tires spin at 60 miles per hour...at 15 psi..( This seems like a recipe for disaster)

The lag is the deceptive part..as the engine comes into power, it goes from “ Ok...this is fun” , to “ OHHH SHHTTT!” In about the time it takes to go one, two, three. If there was the same kinda torque down low like the 250 had, then I might be better able to anticipate it, but this comes outta nowhere. And the 250 mighta made 400 whp maybe...and by the time it was at 6000 rpm, it was done making that power..
I cannot even imagine this car at 20 psi...

but,....

I’m gonna find out.
image.jpg

For those of you that think that a Fairmont is a big car...

Honey you shrunk the Fairmont, starring Rick Moranis as Mike.

It's good to see the excited Mike. Not the one constantly bitching about the TooJZ or vibrations or 3AMD. I'm going to keep bitching until there's some video of this animal unleashed.

What do ya think,..40, 50, maybe 60 mph?

Whatever speed that is, at 7000 this thing becomes an animal, the tires literally scream, and the car violently gets out of shape..
I lift...it snaps back the other way,...It’s sliding towards the median, but for having had experience in trying to control a skidding car this whole story would be over now, with the nose of the monster buried into the median of the 4 lane divided highway I tried this out on..Obviously, I didn’t wreck.

But I got the sht scared out of me nonetheless.

Glad to hear you and the car are okay. Doing it straight isn't going to fix that. It's just going to come bite you in the ass again. You need a $4000 axle, ask me how I know. Don't blow it off as a rediculous amount of money. You might hesitate to spend that kind of money elsewhere in the car, but you would spend it. It's absolutely the best performance mod I have ever bought, even for the price, hands down.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to hear you and the car are okay. Doing it straight isn't going to fix that. It's just going to come bite you in the ass again. You need a $4000 axle, ask me how I know. Don't blow it off as a rediculous amount of money. You might hesitate to spend that kind of money elsewhere in the car, but you would spend it. It's absolutely the best performance mod I have ever bought, even for the price, hands down.

Kurt
What ever are you talking about? What is a 4000.00 axle?

What ever are you talking about? What is a 4000.00 axle?

This was a $4000 axle.

And it's worth it. If you have that much power in the engine, you need the hardware to control it.

Kurt

This was a $4000 axle.

And it's worth it. If you have that much power in the engine, you need the hardware to control it.

Kurt
He should start with a better tire then that summer tire he has on it .

This was a $4000 axle.

Kurt

Just checked that out! Tell your painter “Nice job!! “. That’s awesome!!

The car doesn’t track straight..

A bent axle, damaged torque boxes, or a somehow offset rear will cause the pull to the right..augmented by the natural “ torque steer “ that’s gonna happen anyway.
I shouldn’t have any of that

The rear was jig welded when it was narrowed. I’m using poly bushings, and Chrome moly upper/lower CA’s from UPR. The axles are Moser 28 spline, and it has a rebuilt Tloc with 3.73’s...and I welded 1/8” thick plate on top of the torque boxes..

But..

The front end isn’t aligned, and those tires.....those rear tires...Those cheap, Sumitomo tires are going on 8 years old.

Theres alot of fcked up when you add this much power to the mix. When I took it out on Sunday, and said that it shredded the tires on the 1/2 gear change was before I revved the engine to 7k. Now that I do that, the 1/2 change amplifies the tire spin, and probably adds to the lurch to the right when shifting..Then the tires ( that were spinning at a million RPM, get put into a higher gear, and start spinning at a bagillion RPM)

I hope I can put it in a space where I can’t hurt it if/when I lose control on Sunday, and keep my foot in it. I think there’s a place that’s big enough...

Drag radials we’re always a part of the plan...but I wanted a different set of wheels for those so I could change both front and rears at the same time.

The big assed tool box has put that on the back burner for awhile.

If this was a ladder bar car, this would be so easy to fix..........

Last edited:
The axle does more. I didn't read the 600 page thread, so I have no idea what is going on suspension wise. Even on drag radials it gets squirly at those power levels.

Kurt
Not to sound like a d*** so don’t take it that way but I know what the car feels like at his power level . My car has made 580 to the tire or above since 2016. The better tire no matter what will help tremendously no matter what . Sure his alignment is probably driving the car all over on him under power . The 8 year old sumitomos are a hazard at that level .