Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Ive been reading this morning. As usual, trying to find a simple fcking wiring diagram FROM THE MANUFACTURER of the ECU has proved to be less than easy. Every google search brings up some Miata or RX 7 goobers clutch switch wiring video, and all of these guys are enabling launch/flat shift in the setup.

I dont need no stinking flat shift in my setup.

From what i’ve been able to come up with is that the ECU wants a ground to enable the circuit. Based on that, i’m not gonna make this any harder than it has to be.

I was gonna tie in the signal from the brake light switch as a redundancy so that i could set up a couple of parameters to act as “ checks and balances”, i.e. When the brake is on, AND the TPS is over say 30% pushing the button enables the launch control circuit,......but in the software, launch control is either on/off, and tied to just one input. So.....I don’t need to try and convert the 12v coming from the brake light switch to gnd using a relay anymore.

If all the ECU needs then is a single gnd, then the momentary button by itself will do that. All i have to do is gnd one end of the switch, and wire the other end to the ecu. Pushing the button closes the circuit..the ECU gets its gnd.

The other “Lack of MFG supplied info” issue is How to setup the fcking thing in the software. Again you have to rely on some Youtube video to tell you where to set it. It’s not rocket science by no stretch, but it’d sure be nice if they would just go the freakin extra mile, and supply some additional documentation that doesn’t come from a third party when wiring some of the accessories.

What I know:
Im gonna set mine to “Launch“.
Im gonna set the launch RPM at 3k..( I don’t think the converter will let the engine slip beyond that, and i won’t be able to hold it with the brakes beyond that if it starts making power)

What I don’t know:
How much RPM before that
How much timing to cut
Whether i want just spark, or spark and fuel cut ( one bangs and pops a lot more, and a lot louder)

The Rotors are here. I can put them on, and put the thing back on the ground. ( which is a good thing in more ways than one) The problem with setting the two step in the garage is the likelihood that it’ll make waaay too much noise.
Kate will kill me.

Ill have to take it somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive been reading this morning. As usual, trying to find a simple fcking wiring diagram FROM THE MANUFACTURER of the ECU has proved to be less than easy. Every google search brings up some Miata or RX 7 goobers clutch switch wiring video, and all of these guys are enabling launch/flat shift in the setup.

I dont need no stinking flat shift in my setup.

From what i’ve been able to come up with is that the ECU wants a ground to enable the circuit. Based on that, i’m not gonna make this any harder than it has to be.

I was gonna tie in the signal from the brake light switch as a redundancy so that i could set up a couple of parameters to act as “ checks and balances”, i.e. When the brake is on, AND the TPS is over say 30% pushing the button enables the launch control circuit,......but in the software, launch control is either on/off, and tied to just one input. So.....I don’t need to try and convert the 12v coming from the brake light switch to gnd using a relay anymore.

If all the ECU needs then is a single gnd, then the momentary button by itself will do that. All i have to do is gnd one end of the switch, and wire the other end to the ecu. Pushing the button closes the circuit..the ECU gets its gnd.

The other “Lack of MFG supplied info” issue is How to setup the fcking thing in the software. Again you have to rely on some Youtube video to tell you where to set it. It’s not rocket science by no stretch, but it’d sure be nice if they would just go the freakin extra mile, and supply some additional documentation that doesn’t come from a third party when wiring some of the accessories.

What I know:
Im gonna set mine to “Launch“.
Im gonna set the launch RPM at 3k..( I don’t think the converter will let the engine slip beyond that, and i won’t be able to hold it with the brakes beyond that if it starts making power)

What I don’t know:
How much RPM before that
How much timing to cut
Whether i want just spark, or spark and fuel cut ( one bangs and pops a lot more, and a lot louder)

The Rotors are here. I can put them on, and put the thing back on the ground. ( which is a good thing in more ways than one) The problem with setting the two step in the garage is the likelihood that it’ll make waaay too much noise.
Kate will kill me.

Ill have to take it somewhere.
They sorta do...
section 15.11.1

cut spark only
soft limit 50-100 rpm

while on the rev limiter ignore the WB input, if it bogs on the hit then pull a few mS of fuel right there in the launch settings if it pops [intake pop] then add a few mS of fuel on the hit..

poofff your a rocket surgeon

I agree with the button.. now the only issue with not also using the brake switch as a second safety is that you may inadvertently trigger the input while driving, I know its unlikely but :poo: happens.. my suggestion [remember my main job has me building everything with safety redundancy] is to also place a rocker switch [next to or inconspicuously mounted] to interrupt the circuit while not in use... This is moot if the car has a VSS that can be used.. then we just ignore the input while driving [over say 10mph] as a safety. I know you dont have one so my looney suggestion stands

You have got to see the Datalog on this one. 23 psi.

I’m at work right now, and I can’t get to it till later, but suffice it to say:

I will not have an issue with 60’ times.
I did not need to create the 2 step circuit.
I have to find a way to keep the car from pushing while foot braking.

All things considered it’s gonna be fast. How fast is ytd.

Reactions: 1 users
You have got to see the Datalog on this one. 23 psi.

I’m at work right now, and I can’t get to it till later, but suffice it to say:

I will not have an issue with 60’ times.
I did not need to create the 2 step circuit.
I have to find a way to keep the car from pushing while foot braking.

All things considered it’s gonna be fast. How fast is ytd.
Nd9GcQ5zLaXocZV7p9mCp1gRpD7sgtLZT3wXdN_Hw&usqp=CAU.jpg

Ok...I'm home.

A close up look at the datalog tells me that the Turbo is too small. (At least the turbine housing is too small) The engine makes its power at 5500 rpm Revving the engine to 7k RPM loses 3 psi.

I'm still learning with this thing....I was afraid to stand on the brake and put my foot on the floor, because it didn't seem to do anything when I half-assed tried to power brake the thing...

It just takes a different attitude.

"Don't make me beat your ass...cause I will..."
And when you get insolence....You just beat that ass.....

It makes boost while foot braking...It really doesn't like to go above 2500 RPM,..MOF I really gotta force the thing to go to 3,000 RPM.. BUt when I do....
20201119_171348.jpg

CYA!

Attachments

• 2020-11-19_13.28.55.mlg
    3.3 MB · Views: 160
Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure that you're not then one turning 63 in two days?...
I'm just checking..
My disdain for things that are unneccesarily impossibly complicated turned 63 ten years ago. I am trying to get 3 bundles of really expensive, marked up, roofing shingles ordered right now, and no one will take my money.

Kurt

Ok...I'm home.

A close up look at the datalog tells me that the Turbo is too small. (At least the turbine housing is too small) The engine makes its power at 5500 rpm Revving the engine to 7k RPM loses 3 psi.

I'm still learning with this thing....I was afraid to stand on the brake and put my foot on the floor, because it didn't seem to do anything when I half-assed tried to power brake the thing...

It just takes a different attitude.

"Don't make me beat your ass...cause I will..."
And when you get insolence....You just beat that ass.....

It makes boost while foot braking...It really doesn't like to go above 2500 RPM,..MOF I really gotta force the thing to go to 3,000 RPM.. BUt when I do....
20201119_171348.jpg

CYA!
yes... however you dont want to size the turbo too large and have boost lag issues either.. the 3psi loss is not a big deal... we simply tell the ecu to correct for the loss, it will increase the boost duty to the valve and done.

yes... however you dont want to size the turbo too large and have boost lag issues either.. the 3psi loss is not a big deal... we simply tell the ecu to correct for the loss, it will increase the boost duty to the valve and done.
The turbo supplier thought that a .68 AR turbine housing might be just a tad too small. He said that he wanted me to get the screeching boost leak fixed, and see if it loses anything and where it happens across the RPM band. Suggesting that they may wanna swap the housing for a .81 AR instead.
I realize I give up one thing for another, and as a street car I gotta keep my eye on the prize. In truth It’s about as good as it’s gonna get before I start trading that away for more power,..but I may be able to trade away a little of that bottom end for the extra 1500 rpm, ( and the power that may be hiding there)
But where it is right now......pretty good though right?

The turbo supplier thought that a .68 AR turbine housing might be just a tad too small. He said that he wanted me to get the screeching boost leak fixed, and see if it loses anything and where it happens across the RPM band. Suggesting that they may wanna swap the housing for a .81 AR instead.
I realize I give up one thing for another, and as a street car I gotta keep my eye on the prize. In truth It’s about as good as it’s gonna get before I start trading that away for more power,..but I may be able to trade away a little of that bottom end for the extra 1500 rpm, ( and the power that may be hiding there)
But where it is right now......pretty good though right?
I have to say it looks really good right now, boost starts to fall off right at 6k. The question is do you want to make a change? the turbo will "act" smaller and smaller the more we turn the boost up... I think by 25psi the boost will begin to drop at 5500rpm or sooner.. I can increase the boost duty after this RPM to compensate but you will hit a wall eventually as you chase power.

I have to say it looks really good right now, boost starts to fall off right at 6k. The question is do you want to make a change? the turbo will "act" smaller and smaller the more we turn the boost up... I think by 25psi the boost will begin to drop at 5500rpm or sooner.. I can increase the boost duty after this RPM to compensate but you will hit a wall eventually as you chase power.
And that’s what Work turbo told me as well. It gets harder and harder to jam more air into the engine with little gain in the big picture at my present build. ( Small cams, stock ports,...and wherever the fuel system will max out at) I spent 10k on the car last year between the engine and the trans...Lets see how fast it is on Sunday.

And let’s see if I know when to say when.

well.... to help you with that.. here is a new tune. I setup closed loop boost control on this one, now it may need some tweaking as far as the sensitivity goes but should work as expected.. one more datalog please so I can tune the controller.

Attachments

• Monster.2JZ.REV.1.2.3.msq
    273.7 KB · Views: 161
Speaking of out dated technology. Mike needs to commit to spending the money on a twin scroll turbocharger. A Borg-Warner 48x is going to fix the problem no matter how oversized it is. A tuning adjustment is not going to make up for a mechanical deficiency.

Kurt

Speaking of out dated technology. Mike needs to commit to spending the money on a twin scroll turbocharger. A Borg-Warner 48x is going to fix the problem no matter how oversized it is. A tuning adjustment is not going to make up for a mechanical deficiency.

Kurt
Read post 837 I cover the shortfall of leaving the turbo as it is. I am sure the guys doing the actual turbo building know what they are doing.

Kurt
According to two different turbo rebuilders ( Both who are recognized as competent, and one of whom i’m using) A mono scroll turbo will be just as effective as a twin scroll turbo when properly sized and built for the intended usage. I wanted a turbo built for a street car. They put one together that is way smaller than what the other guy was recommending (57mm vs 76mm) but in the end, power from the 2500 rpm stall speed to 6k rpm is more ideal than 4000-7500 for this application.
I was concerned that the guy at Boost lab wasn’t hearing what I was telling him I wanted..He kept talking about 800-900 potential HP, when I kept telling him “Street car responsiveness”.

Now that I have a base line for how this turbo will work when my foot is on the pedal, Ill call Work turbo and tell them what i’ve got here. They told me that they may wanna do a turbine housing swap depending on how this thing responds.
I’ll let the guys that know, make the suggestion for which way to go.
Who knows, It may not be worth it If the bigger housing sacrifices some bottom end velocity and forces me to get the 2step working for racing, but allows the engine to pull to 7 instead of being able to put my feet on both pedals and being able to get the turbo to 5-6 psi at 3k.

Ill call them this morning.

Reactions: 1 users