Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the CMA bolt on bolt off intake housing went.

Here is mine. Done with 7 dollars of V10 photo shop time.
Doesn't it show?

boltonboltoff_v10_6_trumpet.jpg

"http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6002/boltonboltoff_v10_6_trumpet.jpg"

and a single base collector to top it off.

boltonboltoff_v10_6_trumpet_base%20collector.jpg

You keep the pancakes, add some exhaust tube or "oil filler" trumpets, then get the single ram air intake off the new Glia Monster intake duct.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, so this thread hasn't been closed. It's been a while since CMA posted. SOOO, he's either had a setback with the knees and in the ICU or he's working on something that is totall going to blow us all away and will post his Picasso soon.

Ooooor, he's on the 3rd or 4th time to redo it and his forehead is bloody from beating it against the wall. And redoing the redo of the redo has caused him to have to redo something else and he had a break down and his wife had to put him in a mental hospital.

Ok, so this thread hasn't been closed. It's been a while since CMA posted. SOOO, he's either had a setback with the knees and in the ICU or he's working on something that is totall going to blow us all away and will post his Picasso soon.

Ooooor, he's on the 3rd or 4th time to redo it and his forehead is bloody from beating it against the wall. And redoing the redo of the redo has caused him to have to redo something else and he had a break down and his wife had to put him in a mental hospital.

Ultimate Oxymoron.....Calling Michelangelo's work, a "Picasso":rolleyes:

I'm working on it.

The headers are done. I'm taking them to the powder coater tomorrow.
IMAG0045_zpspvrx8ur4.jpg

I was also gonna take the airbox to him as well, but the thing is too wonky to be shiny
IMAG0044_zpsyw88ysgc.jpg

There used to be a stub sticking out of that box. It was all good until I tried to shut the hood.
:nono: No said the finger.
So for the pic, I cut the stub off. I'll have to turn it down 45* to get it to clear the hood. I decided to put a piece of glass on top. Today, I had to build the tray for that glass to sit in. Now,...with the right tools that might have not been such a bad deal...but I don't have a brake. So I go looking for a piece of 1/4" angle iron to use as a base.

They don't make a piece of 1/4 x 1/8" thick angle iron. As an alternative, I buy a piece of C channel. It's 1/8" thick, and has two 1/4" legs....but it's an inch wide.
I have to cut the thing down its length to get a true 1/4 x 1/4 piece to work with.
Problem was, as soon as I cut it, the thing bowed as a result of the 90* bend that was part of the original C channel.
In other words,..as soon as I cut it, the thing became less than straight.

So,...here's why it takes me for-fckin ever to build this thing: After I get the two sides cut, I have to straighten the bow that they have taken on after the cut. That involved clamping one of the bowed pieces to a piece of rectangular tubing to keep it straight. Then I have to weld the short sides onto that using a combo square to keep the thing at 90*. When I unclamp the long side leg, it's still bowed. So I gotta tweak it. But, since I'm putting a piece of tempered glass in this thing, it has to be straight. So I have to tweak it some more....... And some more,.........And some more.
Finally, the thing is straight. I weld the other long side to the two short sides that are welded to the tweaked long side.
That requires that I build a jig to hold that thing perfectly square at 20.750" long. I weld it.
It's twisted.
I put the thing in a vise, and twist it the opposite way to cure the twist. It takes several of these "adjustments".

I finally get the thing square, straight and un-twisted.
I place the rectangle in the rectangular hole I've cut into the airbox...It's gonna take some "modifications" to get it to look decent. The modifications involved welding.....alot of it.
IMAG0046_zpsnaqkwfpm.jpg

Alot of welding requires even more grinding. Because I've decided to allow God and Country to look down into the throttle bodies, All of that welding I did along the low side of the donuts had to be ground down....It took forever. And I'm still not done.

If I have that area powder coated in some shiny silver, that will smooth that area significantly, but because I'm not, I'm just gonna have to polish the metal the hard way.

With a die grinder.

I'm undecided as to how I want to mount the glass. Half of me just wants to bed the glass in some sort of silicone and let it cure. No clamps required to hold it in, no bolts, or screws,..just sticky, self vulcanizing RTV. It'll mount, and seal the thing at the same time.

But......Just as surely as I do that,...the glass will get filthy from gas and oil back-spray, and after a matter of time....will no longer be "see through"

If I make a clamp to hold the glass in place, or have the glass drilled so I can run screws through it into the metal below and make the thing removable, I have to come up with some form of gasket then.

:nono: I don't want to make a stinkin' gasket. And I don't want stupid little hold down clamps on top of the airbox.
And if I run screws through glass... And I break it?.....How bad will the conniption fit be that I'll throw when it does?:fuss:

I got another full day In the air box before I can call it done enough to consider painting it. Because it's wonky, I need to give it the wrinkle black treatment that the old intake has...I'm not worried about the inside rusting because of the nature of the beast....a slight film of gas and oil will end up inside that box.
One day a week is taking a long time to get anything done is all I'm saying....especially when it takes all day to get anything done.

In other news, I found a new beer that I think suits me..
IMAG0039_zpseimtqpjt.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I decided to put a piece of glass on top.

Well, of your own free will and without being impinged upon by the Force, you pulled your horns in and are now showin' it all off.

It's GOATin' to be good.
MONSTER PREMIERE!!!!!

Greatest
Of
All
Time
I
N

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq10HVQ85RA

Way to go, your thoughts made it happen, your way. No one holds a gun to your head....you've made a great executive decision, CMA.

I can die happy.

Flush bond it with window goop, cover it with that plastic screen protector/ bullet proof mylar sheet compound and call it good.

http://www.tssbulletproof.com/diy-security-films-laminates/

Darth is looking very angry, very evil, my friend. And Evil is good in the car community. Dang gooooood!

Last edited:
One word Mike, Lexan.

Jim
Nah....Polycarbonate (i.e. Lexan) will yellow with time, exposure to oil and gas and heat.

It's a done deal anyway. I ordered the piece of 3/16" tempered glass today. I'll have it Wed-Thur.

Dropped the header off at the powder coat dude...I chose Silver as my color. I wanted it shiny, but it looks like it's gonna have the same flat characteristic that I've always seen in a high heat situation. ( Except Collins)
It's gonna cost me $240.00, and won't be done for two weeks...and that's not really a problem. not like I'm gonna be done with the rest of the stuff anyways.

I am gonna paint the airbox. Doing that will allow me to use expoxy as a filler so that I can body work the thing to get it perfect. I'm thinking that I'm gonna use an engine enamel and clear coat inside on the donuts as well...just gotta find one that is rated as solvent resistant. I think most of them are, and some are better than others,..so I'm on the hunt for that.

The donut color...what about a copper? Kinda maybe looking like you're looking down the throats of a trumpet or something...:thinking:
meh...I'll probably just paint it some silver metallic and be done with it.
The outside is definitely gonna be a textured black of some kind to match the valve cover. It doesn't necessarily have to be wrinkle finish, but I do want it to match the valvecover..
Maybe I'll paint the whole engine copper.........Don't roll your eyes,.........it could happen.:crazy:

I keep thinking back that this was just supposed to be a re-ring job...:nonono:

Reactions: 3 users
No I'm serious! I think copper and black will give me the effect that I was going after when I mistakenly painted the thing orange.....

Yeah,......Orange.:rolleyes:

But Copper,...like a new Penney.....with black hither and thither....it'll be so cool.

Kinda like my last pretty engine..
mustangbuild358_zpsjtfyuwcm.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
What he said. To my knowledge, ceramic coating creates more of a heat barrier than plain powder coat. Im no expert though.

Technically you never said what type of coating you are having put on them. You just said, dropping them off at the powder coating dude, and chose silver for the color. Made me assume you were having them plain powder coated. From what I read, plain powder coating will not hold up on automotive headers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.