Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Well,...things are moving along. Slowly.

I'm getting there on the new laboratory for the Monster,...I still have some cabinets to hang, some junk to throw away, walls to paint, a dividing partition to figure out, lighting to configure/wire....and a ceiling to hang.

No Big Deal.

I cut one of those 6' tall Gladiator shelving units down to 3' and made it into the base for a bench shaped into an "L" pattern.
When you do that, you are immediately confronted with the fact that they are flimsy as hell w/o the benefit of some of the integrated structure.

But I fixed that.

I made a bench top out of sanded plywood bolstered and edge capped by 1x pine boards. It looks good for now, but I really need to do something to the top to resist oil and make it a little more durable, but I'm out of spending money...We have spent a buttload on this move. I think that I'll just have to paint it for now.

The garage portion of the lab has an unfinished ceiling,...there is just raw fiberglass hanging there. My plan to deal with that involves a 15 x 20' poly tarp stretched across the ceiling like a sail w/ all of the eyelets in the tarp tied to a network of eye bolts screwed into the walls, secured w/ paracord.

I hope to hell that isn't one of my "Do it twice Mike ideas":rolleyes:

Even though I plan to leave the space between the official man-cave part of the basement open,..I still want to create the perception of a divided space w/o spending a lot of money. The dilemma is that the perceived divider has to be see through.

I got several plans to deal with that, but again, money is an object...

There is still construction debris that has to go away before I have an actual floor that a car can sit on, there are wires that used to be in a wall that isn't there anymore,...and I want it lit up in there like a operating room..

But I also have a plan to deal with that,...and there are several lights here already.

The Monster is in the upstairs garage,..and when the wife puts her dorky assed Toyota Venza in there,..there is precious little space between his passenger door, and the Venza's paint chipping driver's door. Now I know that my wife is entirely cognizant of that fact,...but accidents happen.

I gotta get him out of there.

Reactions: 6 users
Maybe a roll of that nice chrome moulding you can get at autozone on the sides.

Now, Dave, that's funny right there! But if he does that, he might as well get the fake Buick Vent ports and tape about 5 on each side too!!!!

Mike, sounds like you have the lighting situation planned out. If you haven't finalized it yet, I will give you my lighting rundown. I bought some LED conversion tubes on Ebay. I think it was $120 for 22 tubes! The ones I got were the no ballast required. Pretty easy to install, remove the ballasts and all the tombstones on one end. Wire all the left connectors together and all the right connectors together, look at the polarity of the light when it will be plugged in, wire the hot and neutral to those bundles from the tombstones and voila. No buzzing. Instant on in the winter and with 4 4 tube fixtures, it is like I added at least 2 more fixtures over the old flo tubes. I had 2 tubes bad out of the box, but they sent 2 extra because they had been 'used'. I haven't had one of the ones I installed go bad and it's been almost a year. Probably my best garage upgrade in the 16 years I have lived here.

Reactions: 2 users
I've slowly been converting my basement workshop to LED. It was 4' tubes. I had put 5000K color temperature bulbs in the flourescent fixtures, and that's the color temp I recommend for workspace. Use the typical "cool white" 4000K bulbs for living space. Stay away from 6000K unless you have to do really fine work under it. It's pretty harsh. I have a mixture in the shop now and 5000K is the sweet spot for being able to see detail without feeling like you are being blinded. It is nice to reduce the buzz in the shop every time I upgrade a couple fixtures. I started out replacing the bulbs with the stick on strips, now I've moved on to the conversion bulbs since the prices have come down to attainable levels.

Mine are 6500. If I could do over, I would do 5k. Mine are very bright white...delivery room bright, but after a month or so I got used to them.

Dave, I think most of us in here remember when the phone had a rotor to dial...we're old.

Reactions: 3 users
All day spent in the lab from about 8AM till just now....

I can't tell you what I did.

The benches are complete. 3/4" sanded plywood w/ a 1x4 frame underneath that is bolted and nutted to the very thin metal(like 18 ga.) that makes up the frame of the bench. One side is bolted to the wall, and the other is bolted to that. It has become very rigid. I hung the Gladiator 30" cabinets to the walls, hung a office workstation overhead cabinet, and suspended the two 2 drawer file cabinets that I got from the wife for junk storage. I re-wired the lighting that was in the basement that was originally switched at the door that I removed...
I started with this:
20170622_220133_zpspmrnvaxo.jpg

Which now looks like this...
20170630_185113_zpsl3gpigi9.jpg

It's a disaster I know,...but I was looking for junk to do this so I had to open some boxes..
20170630_185143_zps7sxk2ve9.jpg

The red tool box has been with me for 42 years,....My dad gave it to me for my 18th birthday, and I just can't throw the thing away. It looks like ass, and it needs to go next to the other boxes ( cause it won't open sitting where it is),..But It's full of crap tools I never use. I was thinkin' about taking out all of the combination wrenches that are in it, and hanging them from thin cable w/ S hooks on each end, w/ one end attached to the ceiling.....(kinda just for the purpose of decoration) all along the length of the bench that divides the room. Think of it as a metal curtain that you can see through.

I'm gonna put another shelf where the red box is in place of it. and when I do that, I'm gonna use the shelf support as structure to screw a piece of sheetrock to. That'll create a half finished wall in the man-cave part and hide the crap that'll be on those shelves from being seen when you're in the room...

I think it's coming along swimmingly..:rolleyes:

So I'm here,...sitting in the same chair that I have sat in for 20 years now,...trying to recover from the aches that I have brought on by working non-stop for 9 hours..

And drinking lemonade.

20170630_185709_zpsre9sw76y.jpg

I mean......It has my name on it for Christ sakes! It says it's for refreshment after a hard day's day....How do I ignore this?

Reactions: 6 users
I neglected to mention that I took today off as a day of vacation. Yesterday was my day off. Working for this dealership is really the best job that I've ever had inasmuch as we are absolutely free to come and go when we want, as long as the shift is covered. I make my own schedule. The scheduled week starts on Mon, and ends on Sat.
We work a 40 hours week, but have to make it work w/i the operating hours of the dealership. (9-7:30 M-F, 9-6 Sat).
I'm normally off on Monday, but we can move that day off around as needed for personal reasons,...In my case,...making one official vacation day turn into 5.

See, this is how it works:

Instead of taking my normal Monday off,...I take friday off instead. I take Saturday off as a "vacation day". We're closed on Sunday, Monday is my day off, and Tuesday, the 4th of July we're (the Genius team) off.

I tell ya sometimes I gotta pinch kick myself,....Where was this job for the last 20 years?.... :shrug:.

I gotta do house stuff today,...but it's not all bad. Hopefully when I finish this project, it'll look killer.
20170701_072252_zpszqaigrkg.jpg

This is the front room in the house,..It's one of two "living rooms" that this house has. This wall used to have an assortment of metal boxes on the wall displaying curios brick brack fru-fru junk...Those boxes are not stayin'.
But the removal of said boxes left the wall itself a multi hole disaster,...and I aint patchin that many freakin' holes. Aside from that, the wall was painted with the boxes in place,...so what to do,...what to do..

Cover it up.

On the floor is a whole buttload of 1/4" thick cedar plank intended for that very thing....when I get done with this wall today hopefully it'll look something like the picture on the box,...

899284002295_05028174.jpg

Only our wall is way closer in color to actual red cedar, and not this weathered version. Anyway, I guess we'll see how good I am w/ a power mitre saw and some liquid nails....And a level.

When I get done with this wall,..I'm gonna PMCS the Monster, and take him to a cruise in that I haven't been to before...This one is about 30 miles south of here. I'm hoping that my old red car will be there,...cause after I sold it,..I was told by a friend that he saw the thing at this show,...but that has been over 5 years now...I'd like to see if the car is still around.

Course, all of this is dictated by the weather around here,..the air outside is literally soaked w/ moisture (probably 85% humidity right now)..It has rained every afternoon for the last week,...so weather permitting, I and the Monster will go for a drive tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Cedar wall? That sounds like it'll be nice. Show a picture when you get some of it up.

My wife forces me to watch those home rebuild shows all the freaking time, so, shall we name this project the Monster Wall (you'll be building a wall then though Mike:eek:), or maybe the Gila Skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.