Status
Not open for further replies.
Airbox looks slick as hell Mike! I just hope the damn thing runs in the end. I learned first hand today how little things really mess with how an engine runs. You always make it work though, on the second or maybe second to last time you try. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

That's the money shot right there! Thru the glass lid. Maybe you should take it back apart and put some LED strips in there and light the doughnut holes up! Maybe mulitcolored strips synched to the Macarana like rich iceholes in mansions do with their Christmas lights!

Reactions: 2 users
200w.webp

Reactions: 1 user
My hands felt just like two balloons......
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb

6 hours....After 6 solid hours of grinding, (and the compressor never shutting off) the head is ported.

IMAG0067_zpst2fkapc0.jpg

It don't look like much, but these ports are actually 1/4" larger in diameter than they were when I started. Both the intake and exhaust side have been modified,...The obvious intake opening, and the exhaust port was just smoothed, and blended.

The head, pistons and rods are now at the machine shop,....I should have that stuff back within a week.

The header is done and back.
IMAG0066_zpsjnlviafn.jpg

240.00 to basically paint them black.... Except this is a ceramic coating. I rarely spend money on having things coated, especially considering that there are such good paint alternatives,...the only reason for this was the potential endurance of the finish.

So then,...this was the obstacle. Getting the head ported was the floodgate that I needed to open. Now that's done. Still a bunch of stuff to do though:

1. Make the water manifold that will distribute water to the three freeze plug fittings .
  2. Mount the water pump.
  3. decide what to do with the rear mounted radiators. Right now they are potentially pointless. But, if I tie them into the existing water circulation system, and put a couple of heater control valves so that I can shut the water off to the rear if needed or not. Then If I need additional cooling when the A/C is on I just pull a cable, flip a switch and water flows to the rear where two additional radiators will help to cool off the engine.
    1520631206279.png

4. Install the MC, and bleed the brakes.
  5. Assemble the engine and put that dude back in there.
Sounds like a month of Sundays to me, .....Or a month working only on Sunday and Monday.
That is of course not taking into consideration all of the do-overs..:nonono:

Reactions: 1 user
I would see how it goes with the rear radiators blocked. If it stays cool, then take em out. The Gila gills look cool regardless of if they are actually being used or not. Save that weight and clutter in the trunk. You'll need as much weight savings over the back tires as possible to break em loose!

All in all its just a 'nother brick in the wall.

Bricks are made like cylinder blocks in average modular lengths, deck heights, and widths.

The 2003 - date Ferarrri and Maserati F136 V8 and V12 engines are nearly the some bore spacing as the old 104 mm 1963-1990 4.2/4.7/4.9 liter V8 Maserati Tipo 107 engine;

its now a 103.9 mm bore spacing.4.08 " Ford vs 4.091 Fazz style, 4.0944" on the Merak SM based 1969-1982 Tipo 114 and 1982-2001 AM 400 and 500 series V6's and old skool Tipo 107 V8's.

The old race 1957- 1963 Shah of Iran GT500 Quad Cam 4.2 to 6.6 liter Maser engines were similar looking, but just huge with a 4.72" bore spacing...an American style Big Block V8 engine, in alloy with a two twin cam gear driven Hemi heads per bank. Suck back on that, Mopar!

the Falcon 144-200-250 is 103.6 mm, the whole line of Fazz and Masers now use the same transfer line to small mass produce these alloy dreams.

Hopefully you will do some sales and "service" on a few 5 valve per cylinder heads from the Fazz V12 and be able to ahem, "Use them". The Ferrari V12 heads are the best workplace perk I can think of. Shame there is no V12 Maserati yet.

When using Roman tools, do as the Romans do, CMA......it'd be wrong not to use one of two V12 Roman sandals for a better purpose.

I'll call this update "Back to ze Fatherland"

The Alfa Romeo dealership is new. Only 8 months since they opened their doors. They did this despite not having a dedicated turn off of the main road. Presently, there is all of the cement footings for the curb work in place, there's just no road beteween the curbs. And it's been that way for 8 months.
To get into that dealership, you have to actually drive into the convenient store parking lot, and exit out through a side exit which gives access to the paved part of the road that gets you into the dealership immediately after the unpaved part that is between that and the main road.
And it's been that way for 8 months.
Needless to say, there are no customers. Only the few that figure it out for themselves manage to get there. The rest assume that the dealership isn't open yet.
I spent 4 days last week not speaking to a single customer. I didn't even so much as direct somebody to the restroom.
Add to that that All week long I'm getting hammered by my old dealership to come back, each time I tell them no, I've committed myself to this new place.
That lasted till Thursday. All four salesmen are standing around in the main showroom four The last two hours of the day, and nobody has anything to do. When the place closed at 7 I called my old sales manager, and told him that he'd won,...that he was right, and that I would come and talk to him at his next possible convenience.
" How about now?" He asked.
I went straight there.
I re-start as a BMW salesman/ Genius hybrid today.

I just was too worried that I'd be standing at that dealership after my guarantee runs out, with nothing. Made even worse by the "something" that I had before at BMW. By the 7th of the month, Alfa Romeo had 3 cars sold. BMW had 30.

Things are different at BMW. Most importantly, the GM that was 95% of the issue for me leaving is gone. The sales manager likes me, and has all but guaranteed that I'll sell over 10 cars a month. I know that place, and despite its rundown appearance they still out perform every dealership in the region. Whatever they do to do that, I'll be a part of it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Well good for you Mike, I hate to say it but sometimes you have to create waves to get what you want. It works at times and does not at others, the fact that they repeatedly called you looking to bring you back on board with the team means you were a vital part of what they do to succeed. Obviously you were a valued employee, take pride in that.

• Agree
Sometimes it's a step backward to go forward. Sounds like you made a good decision. It also sounds like the 2 dealerships are a little lost business wise. I mean, if you have a shiny new building and no road and no customers, wtf are they waiting on for 8 months? If you have BMW which I am sure there are some sitting on the lot with close to or over $100k stickers, spiffy up the damn building. It's obvious as a customer you are spending lots of money there but the management is pocketing it, and not using it for a more professional or appropriate to the price point facility.

Sometimes it's a step backward to go forward. Sounds like you made a good decision. It also sounds like the 2 dealerships are a little lost business wise. I mean, if you have a shiny new building and no road and no customers, wtf are they waiting on for 8 months? If you have BMW which I am sure there are some sitting on the lot with close to or over $100k stickers, spiffy up the damn building. It's obvious as a customer you are spending lots of money there but the management is pocketing it, and not using it for a more professional or appropriate to the price point facility.
I was thinking this same thing...

At any rate, it sounds like you @CarMichael Angelo made the right moves to get where you wanted to be in the first place. Good work, nice job, keep it up.

OK then,..piddle mode.

Given that the head and rods/pistons are away, that leaves me to tie up loose ends before the engine stuff gets back. I really haven't spent that much time in piddle mode, but what time I have spent has come without any major obstacles.
IMAG0070_zps4xs9yqeh.jpg

What this you might ask? Looks like your everyday Chinee electric water pump for a SBC if you ask me. This has been the Monsters pump since he was born. For whatever lain-brained reason, I decided that I was gonna relocate it. That led to me taking the thing apart because I was gonna re-drill new outlet holes, and block off the existing ones...I.I.I don't know why I decided to do that, but suffice it to say that this thing has been in a dozen pieces since the engine came out of the car. When you take the top off you release the four brushes that are held in place by the shaft on the motor. When i found that out, it was of course the hard way, and they shot out of their respective guides,....

Ever taken an electric gizmo apart, and had to deal with those stupid brushes that need to be kept in place by little pieces of wire? Well, imagine having to deal with 4 of those bastards...to say that I was a little frustrated by the reassembly is an understatement. After trying several times to get each respective brush put back in its slot, I attempted to put the thing back together. When that didn't go so well, and after several attempts, I let out a really loud Charlie Brown AAARRRGGGHHH!!!. ( CB aint got sht on me when it comes to screaming out really loud AAARRRGGGHHH's)

My wife came to the basement door after hearing me, and asked if I was OK..............I told her I was mad.....She said what else is new and shuts the door.

I finally get the thing back together and tested....needless to say, I am not relocating the thing, nor am i redirecting the water through new outlet ports. It will go back very near to where it was, albeit hanging from a different mount bracket.

I put the master cylinder in place, and modified the lines to fit the new longer booster.
IMAG0073_zpsmgdl1vhq.jpg

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

I remounted the regulator. Despite the new fat fcker of a booster, everything fit exactly where it did before.
IMAG0074_zpseug5fmbr.jpg

Brakes need to be bled still.

I painted all of my "manifold-lets"
IMAG0077_zpscuh8uk9x.jpg

and drilled and tapped #1 for the IAT sensor:
IMAG0071_zpskikhsoc6.jpg

IDK if the sensor sticking in the hole will hurt the airflow to this cylinder,....but I didn't want to put the thing in the airbox, and have to disconnect the thing and not have it while trying to dial in the ITB's when I get the engine running again.
IMAG0072_zpsw0qzsddh.jpg

Now that there isn't the old intake manifold to mount to, the PS reservoir had nothing left to hold it up...
IMAG0075_zpsb9httnkf.jpg

It's just kinda floating there...

So I made a little "L" braket finger looking dealy bobber to mount to to the fender apron.
IMAG0076_zpsss7rriwt.jpg

Yes..... says the finger.

lastly,...No,..check that. That was the last thing,...I'm done.

I wonder if you can use a fitting or modify the IAT mount to move it out a bit. The tip with the holes is the sensor so it seems like you probably have 1/2" or so it could come out of the air stream or so it seems to me.

Annndd another 5.0 part ends up in the monsters engine.

The machinist I'm working with has suggested that I either buy a chamfering tool, and chamfer each side of my rod bearings, or simply buy and use 5.0 rod bearings instead.

*If the tang lines up properly to allow me to do that.

My old rod bearings show evidence of riding on the crank fillets as opposed to riding flat across the surface. 302 rod bearings are narrower and would effectively eliminate that as a potential problem. Both the Monster's rod journal, and one of your belly button engines share the same rod journal diameter, so it's just a matter of whether things will line up, and I get to add that tally to the SBF timing chain, and harmonic balancer that is already on the engine.

See, if things keep going in the direction that it's going, pretty soon I'll have the same thing that the rest of you have....and I'll have to brush up on my camp fire songs, and throw away my multi-colored wrapping paper, and exchange it for the " plain brown stuff" that is so popular around here.:runaway:

• Winner
  • Neat
Reactions: 1 users
CarMichael Angelo said:
IDK if the sensor sticking in the hole will hurt the airflow to this cylinder,....but I didn't want to put the thing in the airbox, and have to disconnect the thing and not have it while trying to dial in the ITB's when I get the engine running again.

Take a piece of 1/2" rod, 16" long, either wood or metal and tape a cloth streamer about 3" long to it. Drive down the road at various speeds with the rod stuck way out the window and watch the streamer as it responds to the airflow. That's what your ACT is going to do to the airflow inside the manifold section. The next question is not so simple: what will be the reaction of spraying fuel on the ACT do to the accuracy of its readings? The ACT in the 5.0 Mustang manifold is upstream of the fuel injectors, it isn't a very useful comparison to make for what you are doing.

Last edited:
I'll call this update "Back to ze Fatherland"

The Alfa Romeo dealership is new. Only 8 months since they opened their doors. They did this despite not having a dedicated turn off of the main road. Presently, there is all of the cement footings for the curb work in place, there's just no road beteween the curbs. And it's been that way for 8 months.
To get into that dealership, you have to actually drive into the convenient store parking lot, and exit out through a side exit which gives access to the paved part of the road that gets you into the dealership immediately after the unpaved part that is between that and the main road.
And it's been that way for 8 months.
Needless to say, there are no customers. Only the few that figure it out for themselves manage to get there. The rest assume that the dealership isn't open yet.
I spent 4 days last week not speaking to a single customer. I didn't even so much as direct somebody to the restroom.
Add to that that All week long I'm getting hammered by my old dealership to come back, each time I tell them no, I've committed myself to this new place.
That lasted till Thursday. All four salesmen are standing around in the main showroom four The last two hours of the day, and nobody has anything to do. When the place closed at 7 I called my old sales manager, and told him that he'd won,...that he was right, and that I would come and talk to him at his next possible convenience.
" How about now?" He asked.
I went straight there.
I re-start as a BMW salesman/ Genius hybrid today.

I just was too worried that I'd be standing at that dealership after my guarantee runs out, with nothing. Made even worse by the "something" that I had before at BMW. By the 7th of the month, Alfa Romeo had 3 cars sold. BMW had 30.

Things are different at BMW. Most importantly, the GM that was 95% of the issue for me leaving is gone. The sales manager likes me, and has all but guaranteed that I'll sell over 10 cars a month. I know that place, and despite its rundown appearance they still out perform every dealership in the region. Whatever they do to do that, I'll be a part of it.
Is this along the 'Do it twice' Mike theme?

Sounds like the Italians had their heads inserted in a dark and stinky place.

I'm glad it worked out in the end though, good for you my friend.

Take a piece of 1/2" rod, 16" long, either wood or metal and tape a cloth streamer about 3" long to it. Drive down the road at various speeds with the rod stuck way out the window and watch the streamer as it responds to the airflow. That's what your ACT is going to do to the airflow inside the manifold section. The next question is not so simple: what will be the reaction of spraying fuel on the ACT do to the accuracy of its readings? The ACT in the 5.0 Mustang manifold is upstream of the fuel injectors, it isn't a very useful comparison to make for what you are doing.
You're right. I didn't think of that. Guess I'll have to drill the airbox, and put it there, and plug the hole in the #1 riser.

Status
Not open for further replies.