Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect amount of room for a single machine gun, you could route the ammo belt into the fender well?

I know you say you don’t like the praise sht Mike, suck it, that looks freaking fantastic brother. Nice job buddy.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I think it will make more power than we give it credit for..... based on the injector duty cycles of the engine out of boost i will make an assumed HP rating of close to 360FWHP so lets call it 320 at the tire. With the low engine speed duty cycles being so high i bet this thing makes close to 400FWTQ

Reactions: 1 user
I think it will make more power than we give it credit for..... based on the injector duty cycles of the engine out of boost i will make an assumed HP rating of close to 360FWHP so lets call it 320 at the tire. With the low engine speed duty cycles being so high i bet this thing makes close to 400FWTQ

That would be pretty sweet. My fingers are crossed so that he doesnt get bored too soon.

I hope so as well, but you know what they say about assuming...... lol

I bet the ITB setup will shift his power curve significantly to the upper range but that is TBD...

BTW @CarMichael Angelo did you know your system can be directly upgraded to a MS3 or even a MS3X.... you could go COP/CNP and full sequential injection for the cheap.... or even keep the coil packs you have and trigger them directly, you would have the ability to do spark cut for sweet sweet flame throwing launches.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope so as well, but you know what they say about assuming...... lol

I bet the ITB setup will shift his power curve significantly to the upper range but that is TBD...

BTW @CarMichael Angelo did you know your system can be directly upgraded to a MS3 or even a MS3X.... you could go COP/CNP and full sequential injection for the cheap.... or even keep the coil packs you have and trigger them directly, you would have the ability to do spark cut for sweet sweet flame throwing launches.
I am aware of that. I like the simplicity of edis. Having 6 coils near, or on the plugs only makes sense to me when I'm working with excessive cylinder pressure, and I'd have to worry about not enough spark. As for the sequencial f.i.,....again,.......maybe if I was racing it.

But I’m not.

one problem gives way to another.....I planned to put 90* hose end fittings on these male fittings.....

The hood won't close.

So,...as with everything with me,.....I have to adapt.
IMAG0127_zps9nw6v7pm.jpg

These things barely get by. One of them is a 120*, and the other is a 150*. I need the 120's, I only have one. I have two 150's, but they're too tight.
I could buy two of these special swivel fittings and they would fit, but.....

1524022968423.png

They're 30.00 each. And they don't completely solve my problem,....I still gotta get something screwed to the 90 to accommodate the breather filters....

The peak rpm at maximum power goes up with the total cfm at peak valve lift. That rpm point is the measure of what the true cfm is.

On Stanley R. Weiss' calculations,

"RPM of Peak Horse Power"

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/index.html

COPYRIGHT © 2000-2012 Stan Weiss — World Wide Enterprises

How to use the RPM of Peak Horse power

Table.1) Calculate the cubic inches of one cylinder of your motor.

2) Run across the top column and find the closest value.

3) Take the CFM for the head you are looking at a valve lift that is below maximum valve lift for the cam you are running.

4) Run down that column until the left hand column has the CFM closest to that number.--

Example --Pontiac 400 / 8 = 50 ci per cylinder.

Pontiac 16 Jim Butler has 245 CFM @ .500 lift and 504 hp

Peak Horse Power RPM from Chart 5444. This is where the cylinder volume and cfm cross.

To simplify things, Stanley R. Weiss makes the assumption that every engine has a 4456 Aspirations Index, which isn't strictly true.

A great NASCAR 351 engine has better than a 3600 ratio.

A really good 4.5 liter V6 makes just as much hp per cubic inches if done right, about 3/4's a good NASCAR V8.

The true measure of the peak power rpm is to just shove the likely CFM at 25" H20 for the given valve lift, and just factor in a very very small percentage drop in peak CFM of a bare head. Most often, a good ITB unit with the right throttle body size will drop off less than 5% of the bare head flow rate, often, no loss. 0% loss was what the Weslake 305 KarKraft GT40's were doing, the power of a 428 with the size of a 5 liter small block.

On an I6, any other kind of system (4-bbl, twin 2-bbls, triple 1-bbls) , they loose more than 10% over a bare head flow rate at the nominated peak lift of the cam considered.

So I'm spitting out 220 cfm at 25" H20 total with 528 thou real lift, and remember, CMA has done some headwork with the hogged out intakes, so whatever goodness was there in the DIYTuner tables, it'll be a whole lot "good-er-rer" with the Artist Formely Known as Mike 1157's modifications.` Squiggle on CMA....

I'm saying power at 6050 rpm, and it'll be 380 hp, and 250 hp at the rear wheels. Automatic transmission losses on a chassis dyno are exceptionally high. On a drag strip, auto trans losses are much lower, but I haven't seen a Ford 4 speed automatic loss factor less than 1.33 on a chassis dyno. Drag strip, it computes out lower. Drive train losses are mainly tire related. Electric drive shaft or axle mounted meters without tires still show an automatic with torque converter looses a hang of a lot more than a maual gearbox. Anyways, IMHO, the biggest gain will be from the ITB, not porting the head. Porting the head wider was needed to suit the wide throttle of the BMW intake system, so its a given that cannot be gone back on. It was needed to fit all the jazz together.

I'm "edumac-cated guessing" the lack of blending of the sides of the port might prevent reaching 400 hp, as the total cfm on a bare head is often 239 cfm if the intake port is oval with the flanking walls left alone. X flow heads are kinda quirky with the twist and tumble, and mixture motion. When you go up in port sizes, its very hard to avoid grinding the side walls, and the experts seam to aggree that just going up in port size uniformly, sometimes the power gains aren't there if you take even another 20 thou of the sides. But it don't matter none. The ITB's will pulse tune the air fuel mixture, and as you fiddle with the fuel curves, you'll make it just peachy everywhere.

Last edited:
one problem gives way to another.....I planned to put 90* hose end fittings on these male fittings.....

The hood won't close.

So,...as with everything with me,.....I have to adapt.
IMAG0127_zps9nw6v7pm.jpg

These things barely get by. One of them is a 120*, and the other is a 150*. I need the 120's, I only have one. I have two 150's, but they're too tight.
I could buy two of these special swivel fittings and they would fit, but.....

1524022968423.png

They're 30.00 each. And they don't completely solve my problem,....I still gotta get something screwed to the 90 to accommodate the breather filters....
How about on of these? 90° AN bulkhead fitting and use a straight hose fitting??

bmm-090-10_2_lrg.jpg

You may have to trim the long threaded end off some, but it will work. Use an O ring to make it seal properly.

Last edited:
Ya'll needed to have dolls as kids....

Even Sid from Toy Story didn't use a 3" hole saw for "key Hole" Surgery like some Kiwis do.

I6 access is a lot easier witout the Hair dryer.

For sinsiter looks, a hole cut doll lookes a whole lot better....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYgwRQzCkg

View: https://vimeo.com/54985279

Sigh ......I look at it, and when compared to the previous setup it now looks lopsided. It looks like a I6 now. The turbo setup was so busy that it actually " balanced" out the engine bay. Much less sinister now, ..no "Black Mamba" anymore
Now it's much more like a garter snake.
I knew that it would appear driver side heavy, and that was the primary reason for the "up oriented" exhaust....to try and get some of the symmetry back,....What does the finger say?

Nope.

I'll have to come up with an equally harmless nickname for my new 4.1L Fordrarri, ....

The six exhausts kinda look spindly, but all I6's with headers do that. Unless they are slanted cross flow engines.

Meth Injection. Since these no place to go. Let it Snow.....

Or Evacusump the excess into the header collector if you dare do it twice.

As a six cylinder kind of guy, I remember the exhaust kind of driving me nuts when I considered the Cross flow with headers. A cross flow six is still not a normal US configuration, it'll still mess the Male Monster from the Id out of anyone looking at it.

Actually, one of those nasty neighbourhood leaf blowers. We both share the same Lost Religion, Mike....hatred of the Temple of the Weekend Leaf blower....... 215 mph and 470 cfm of Rammed Craftsman air could fit between the upper pipe and the engine. Rammmed, Crammmed, Jammed.

Last edited:
Ive been meaning to ask/How’s life as a BMW salesman treating ya mike?
funny you asked that.

I'm sure that it would come as no surprise to anyone here, that I'm a little bit dominant when it comes to personality profiles.

The first 3 weeks found me dead last on the sales board..

That did not sit well with me.

Not so much as a result of not being able to sell, but because of the luck of the draw, based on the people I kept coming across.
People who had bad credit, people not ready to buy, people looking for cars we didn't have in stock....it seemed that everybody I crossed paths with couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't buy a car from me.
I sold 6 whole cars from 3/10- 3/30...a figure that yields about 2200.00 gross.

Again, had I not negotiated a “ safety net” to augment this, I’d been in a real bad place.

This month, no safety net. I’m currently at 8 cars...10 is the magic number.

Saturday’s are the busy day. If the are opportunities out there, they come walking in on a Saturday. There is 8 days left in this month, and 2 of them are Saturdays.

If I can just find 4 more customers by then, it’ll be a 5k gross month.

And that will be a significant improvement over Genius pay.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
I'm thinkin that I somewhat solved my lopsided issue.
image.jpeg

The catch can/breather that had no place but up front when this was a turbo engine, now has several places to go now. In the original location, it hit the hood, requiring that I drop the thing lower. ( which made it a moot point to even consider keeping it there). Originally, I built that contraption so that any blow by oil that made it into the catch can would drain back into the engine after I shut it off. ( that's what the two -10 fittings are for hanging off the front of the valve cover). When it became apparent that I was gonna have to drop the thing because of the contact with the hood, it put the catch can drains lower than the fittings on the valve cover...

Just another case of the multitude of instances where after building something, and trying it out I say........" Well that ain't gonna work now is it?"

(The light that's sitting on the header was so I could see if there was still contact with the fittings.)

Sunday I'm back at it. Left to do is throttle cable V3.0, this time with the new Lokar cable. Still got no idea how I'm gonna secure the pedal end of the cable that uses a tiny little e-clip when you can barely see that, much less get two hands up there to try.

I also have to figure out the BMW tps sensor pig tail wiring, so I can transfer that config over to connect with the weather pack fitting that I used to have on the old setup.

Some bolt tightening, water in the engine, the brakes have to be bled now that the Cobra PBB has been installed.
I gotta see if the laptop will connect to the ecu via Bluetooth (another unlikely scenario, I refreshed my OS, lost my tune file, had to completely reload TS)
Once all that is done, and the two of them are talking to each other, I have to run a fuel leak test,...set the WP to run full time instead of the toggle on/off thing that's currently programmed in based on engine temp.

I have to hook up all of the vacuum lines that are dangling, hanging off of my newly built iron lung, and connect them to their respective throttle body...

Once I have all of that done, however long that all of that takes,.....I can turn the key.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Useful
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.