Status
Not open for further replies.
No he has not maxed them out, he simply put the car into an area of the tune that was not worked over yet.....

Give me a little time with the log Mike I'll look through it. BTW can I get a current copy of your tune please?
Here you go sir,..been so long since I've even messed with the tuning software, and I'm still too new on how to use VE analyze to fix junk.

Attachments

• 2017-05-01_21.56.30.msq
    118.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Sponsors (?)

Mike I looked through the log and I don't really see any changes that need to be made, I did tweak a few settings but overall the ve table is dialed in. What you saw as two AFR spikes are most likely some kind of misfire. when looking at the log if you tap on the field marker for AFR and set the smoothing to 5 you will see what I mean.

Smoothing5 Capture.PNG
same log time with smoothing what I adjusted the tune with
No smoothig Capture.PNG
removed smoothing to see if there was an underlying problem which revealed what I believe may be a misfire.

please pull a plug and check for detonation.

updated tune file

Attachments

• 2017-05-01_21.56.30.msq
    116.6 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 2 users
You know I was messing with my datalog files and opened an old log to compare with a new one. I did notice something that I could try to do with your tune to enable finer tuning....

If you look at your ve table the numbers in the highest load area are below 100, this means that even a single digits change in that area is more than 1% fuel load change.

By decreasing the required fuel by say 25% we can multiply the ve table by 1.25 this will give us larger numbers in the ve table and have higher resolution.....
Downside to this is I would need a few logs to get the table dialed back in.

You know I was messing with my datalog files and opened an old log to compare with a new one. I did notice something that I could try to do with your tune to enable finer tuning....

If you look at your ve table the numbers in the highest load area are below 100, this means that even a single digits change in that area is more than 1% fuel load change.

By decreasing the required fuel by say 25% we can multiply the ve table by 1.25 this will give us larger numbers in the ve table and have higher resolution.....
Downside to this is I would need a few logs to get the table dialed back in.

It's too close to start over. There's some weirdness there, but it starts, idles, behaves in drive, and cruises decently. I want to work on jabbing the throttle from off idle as I've never spent anytime there. If this was a carb'd engine, I'd be tweaking the accelerator pump squirters to crispen the snap open/close response. In this case, it's some part of the tune I've never even spent a minute reading about. Because I do not want a lean pop/backfire, I have never just jabbed the throttle from dead stop for fear of the unknown. Everything I've done so far has had some throttle in it. Once it comes on boost, 6k RPM is there a second later, and it's hitting the rev limiter before I can get it into second gear. I wish it had 3.25 rear end gears.

(note to self,....the next big change will be to remove 3.73's in favor of 3.25's)

at 10-11 p.s.i where it is now, is at the power level I want. The car will break the tires loose from part throttle in second gear once it sees that 10 pounds, so it's where I want it power wise. Once I get the drag strip launch part tuned, and am sure that the AFR is good in boost (which it looks like still stays in the 11.5 range),...I'm gonna make a dyno appt to see how much power this fat slow lizard makes

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Call me when you go to do the Accel Enrichment tuning. It's very simple to do but is difficult without having the car in front of you.
Basically you want to add enough enrichment to double the injector pulse width, this will result in the crisp throttle response we all desire.
So if you have 2.5ms pw at idle and jab the throttle your pw should double to 5ms

Maybe I should make a video for this one....

Reactions: 1 user
Ok,....Just placed the next three purchases I'll make for the Monster in my Summit wish list. $350.00 for the 3.31:1 ring and pinion set, the bearing and seal kit, and the T lock rebuild kit. And then I gotta pay somebody to install them.

For what ever reason, installing gears for me is one of those "forbidden paths" I can't walk down. Ironic, when I can successfully take apart an entire 4R70w and rebuild the thing to shift manually, or modify a SBF timing gear set to fit on a 250 6 banger, but cannot for the life of me get the gears set up.
I tried one time on the red car, but ended up having such a conniption fit, my friend moved me out of the way and finished it.
It's get the pattern right, but the backlash is wrong, get the backlash right but the pattern sucks. Ring gear in, ring gear out. Get pinion gear depth wrong, backlash is wrong, pattern is wrong. Remove pinion and install different shim, start all over...........

Throw ring gear across room. Then go pick it up,..clean it off, and pay your friend to install it.

* And now,........Time for a brief rant.

I was happy to see that a 3.31 is the cheaper of the two ratios between that, and a 3.27. ( You could buy either set.)
Clearly, a 3.27 is a Chevy based ratio, and if you just "had to have it", Ford Performance Parts was gonna make you pay. It's no wonder, that when polled for sexual preference, more owners of Chevrolet products end up being gay.
wavey.gif

It seemed STUPID that anybody would pay $23.00 extra to get a Chevy ratio for their Ford rear end from the same gear mfg (FPP) when the end result will not be noticeable.....WHO WOULD DO SUCH A DUMB ASSED THING?

Some redneck that stands on his box saying it's cheaper to go fast in a chevy.

Not when talking gears in an 8.8 Chevy Boy......

Reactions: 3 users
It's too close to start over. There's some weirdness there, but it starts, idles, behaves in drive, and cruises decently. I want to work on jabbing the throttle from off idle as I've never spent anytime there. If this was a carb'd engine, I'd be tweaking the accelerator pump squirters to crispen the snap open/close response. In this case, it's some part of the tune I've never even spent a minute reading about. Because I do not want a lean pop/backfire, I have never just jabbed the throttle from dead stop for fear of the unknown. Everything I've done so far has had some throttle in it. Once it comes on boost, 6k RPM is there a second later, and it's hitting the rev limiter before I can get it into second gear. I wish it had 3.25 rear end gears.

(note to self,....the next big change will be to remove 3.73's in favor of 3.25's)

at 10-11 p.s.i where it is now, is at the power level I want. The car will break the tires loose from part throttle in second gear once it sees that 10 pounds, so it's where I want it power wise. Once I get the drag strip launch part tuned, and am sure that the AFR is good in boost (which it looks like still stays in the 11.5 range),...I'm gonna make a dyno appt to see how much power this fat slow lizard makes
What weirdness have you noticed? Off idle, between gears, coming up to a stop?

Mike just give this tune a spin around the block and see how it does, I would like to tune off of this one for future. I made the changes I wanted to and from my math it should be exactly the same fueling but allow me to get it tighter.

Attachments

• Mike Tune 2017-05-04_14.52.49.msq
    119.1 KB · Views: 122
Ok,....Just placed the next three purchases I'll make for the Monster in my Summit wish list. $350.00 for the 3.31:1 ring and pinion set, the bearing and seal kit, and the T lock rebuild kit. And then I gotta pay somebody to install them.

For what ever reason, installing gears for me is one of those "forbidden paths" I can't walk down. Ironic, when I can successfully take apart an entire 4R70w and rebuild the thing to shift manually, or modify a SBF timing gear set to fit on a 250 6 banger, but cannot for the life of me get the gears set up.
I tried one time on the red car, but ended up having such a conniption fit, my friend moved me out of the way and finished it.
It's get the pattern right, but the backlash is wrong, get the backlash right but the pattern sucks. Ring gear in, ring gear out. Get pinion gear depth wrong, backlash is wrong, pattern is wrong. Remove pinion and install different shim, start all over...........

Throw ring gear across room. Then go pick it up,..clean it off, and pay your friend to install it.

* And now,........Time for a brief rant.

I was happy to see that a 3.31 is the cheaper of the two ratios between that, and a 3.27. ( You could buy either set.)
Clearly, a 3.27 is a Chevy based ratio, and if you just "had to have it", Ford Performance Parts was gonna make you pay. It's no wonder, that when polled for sexual preference, more owners of Chevrolet products end up being gay.
wavey.gif

It seemed STUPID that anybody would pay $23.00 extra to get a Chevy ratio for their Ford rear end from the same gear mfg (FPP) when the end result will not be noticeable.....WHO WOULD DO SUCH A DUMB ASSED THING?

Some redneck that stands on his box saying it's cheaper to go fast in a chevy.

Not when talking gears in an 8.8 Chevy Boy......
I was reading along hoping to see you say you were going to tackle the gear swap, and then stumbled into your rant about ratios. I just installed 3.27s last weekend. Combine that with my powerplant of choice and I believe I'll tiptoe right around that conversation :confused:

Reactions: 5 users
I was reading along hoping to see you say you were going to tackle the gear swap, and then stumbled into your rant about ratios. I just installed 3.27s last weekend. Combine that with my powerplant of choice and I believe I'll tiptoe right around that conversation :confused:
Embrace your inner self Tanner.
There has to be a reason you like Chevrolet products, but still choose a ford skin to hide them under.
It's not like you have even remotely taken the line that an LS is a cheaper engine platform to build than a Windsor, I've seen it time and time again where you yourself have admitted that it isn't.

Which brings me back around to the reason for doing it then.....:oops:

BTW,..that shifter mount looks way better than it did.

Reactions: 4 users
Embrace your inner self Tanner.
There has to be a reason you like Chevrolet products, but still choose a ford skin to hide them under.
It's not like you have even remotely taken the line that an LS is a cheaper engine platform to build than a Windsor, I've seen it time and time again where you yourself have admitted that it isn't.

Which brings me back around to the reason for doing it then.....:oops:

BTW,..that shifter mount looks way better than it did.
I'm afraid to look too deeply into it. Self-reflection can only hurt. Gonna stick with "cause it's cheaper"

So,..we're in the netherworld that is called "House selling, House buying".
AKA.......Hell.

Today, we have an open house from 2-4, Followed by a 5:30 showing.

On a Sunday....

So,..In about an hour I've gotta go thru and mad clean the house for the parade of people that will tromp through here for 2 hours, all while finding something to do with ourselves for that period of time.

Fortunately, We also need to look at houses to buy, so we'll be out anyway.

But the poor dog. The big dog is friendly enough, but not unless we're home. Even when we are, he rushes over to sniff the "visitor", all while we reassure said visitor that the 115 pound bear that is now on a mission to sniff crotches isn't considering what they'd taste like. But.....Take us out of the house.......You aren't coming in here no way.

So,..where does that leave Kodi? (Which is short for Kodiak).....In the dog jail down the street for the weekend. Where he's had to go 3 times now in the last week.

That poor Keds..:nonono: (my mutated version of his name....my "pet name" for my pet).

If you've read my last house update, you'd know that the house w/ the barn fell through. It was gonna cost the homeowner 25k just to update the electrical system so that it could be insured, despite the fact that Alabama code did not require the update. So,...she took the electricians advice and did nothing, instead of her checking w/her insurance company (which probably would have dropped her when they learned that the house was wired w/ aluminum) to find out that until she made those changes, she was gonna have to find either a cash buyer, or fix it.

We mutually agreed to break the contract. No "Monster manor" for the Monster.

I don't know how many houses we are lined up to see today,...the wife emailed a long list to the realtor over the last few days.
It's easy to buy one now days though. The internet is an effective tool preview the house, it's just a matter of walking through it and seeing if there's a love connection after that.
My criteria and hers are the same though save two differences.....She wants a freakin pool, and I want a garage that I don't have to share. Seems simple to me.

Her criteria is a lot harder to find than mine..............Go figure.

I'm off tomorrow. I'm always off on Monday unless I have that Saturday that follows off. In that case I work the Monday instead.
Obviously I don't have Saturday off this week.

On Tuesday when I return, I have to deliver the single most expensive BMW we sell to a "mystery customer"

landscape-1480615587-roa110116dpt-drives-alpinab7-1.jpg

This is an Alpina B7. A 7 series that was modified by a separate company (like a Roush/Saleen) We probably sell one of these in a year.

A $161,000.00, 600 hp sled that has been tested, and certified as capable of it's rated 193 MPH top speed, all while doing it w/o feeling like you're gonna lose control at any second.
The really funny thing is that the one I'm delivering has the Executive Lounge option....A rear seat passenger can push a button, and the passenger seat front seat moves forward, simultaneously folding way forward (as if it was in a two door car), while a foot rest folds out of the back of the seat.

That way you can have your driver "Johahn" blast down the Autobahn at 190k MPH while you catch up on the latest world news..all while lounging in the back seat w/ your shoes off watching a movie.:rolleyes:

That's all the news that's fit to tell for today,...Have a good day.:flag:

Reactions: 3 users
So,..we're in the netherworld that is called "House selling, House buying".
AKA.......Hell.

Today, we have an open house from 2-4, Followed by a 5:30 showing.

On a Sunday....

So,..In about an hour I've gotta go thru and mad clean the house for the parade of people that will tromp through here for 2 hours, all while finding something to do with ourselves for that period of time.

Fortunately, We also need to look at houses to buy, so we'll be out anyway.

But the poor dog. The big dog is friendly enough, but not unless we're home. Even when we are, he rushes over to sniff the "visitor", all while we reassure said visitor that the 115 pound bear that is now on a mission to sniff crotches isn't considering what they'd taste like. But.....Take us out of the house.......You aren't coming in here no way.

So,..where does that leave Kodi? (Which is short for Kodiak).....In the dog jail down the street for the weekend. Where he's had to go 3 times now in the last week.

That poor Keds..:nonono: (my mutated version of his name....my "pet name" for my pet).

If you've read my last house update, you'd know that the house w/ the barn fell through. It was gonna cost the homeowner 25k just to update the electrical system so that it could be insured, despite the fact that Alabama code did not require the update. So,...she took the electricians advice and did nothing, instead of her checking w/her insurance company (which probably would have dropped her when they learned that the house was wired w/ aluminum) to find out that until she made those changes, she was gonna have to find either a cash buyer, or fix it.

We mutually agreed to break the contract. No "Monster manor" for the Monster.

I don't know how many houses we are lined up to see today,...the wife emailed a long list to the realtor over the last few days.
It's easy to buy one now days though. The internet is an effective tool preview the house, it's just a matter of walking through it and seeing if there's a love connection after that.
My criteria and hers are the same though save two differences.....She wants a freakin pool, and I want a garage that I don't have to share. Seems simple to me.

Her criteria is a lot harder to find than mine..............Go figure.

I'm off tomorrow. I'm always off on Monday unless I have that Saturday that follows off. In that case I work the Monday instead.
Obviously I don't have Saturday off this week.

On Tuesday when I return, I have to deliver the single most expensive BMW we sell to a "mystery customer"

landscape-1480615587-roa110116dpt-drives-alpinab7-1.jpg

This is an Alpina B7. A 7 series that was modified by a separate company (like a Roush/Saleen) We probably sell one of these in a year.

A $161,000.00, 600 hp sled that has been tested, and certified as capable of it's rated 193 MPH top speed, all while doing it w/o feeling like you're gonna lose control at any second.
The really funny thing is that the one I'm delivering has the Executive Lounge option....A rear seat passenger can push a button, and the passenger seat front seat moves forward, simultaneously folding way forward (as if it was in a two door car), while a foot rest folds out of the back of the seat.

That way you can have your driver "Johahn" blast down the Autobahn at 190k MPH while you catch up on the latest world news..all while lounging in the back seat w/ your shoes off watching a movie.:rolleyes:

That's all the news that's fit to tell for today,...Have a good day.:flag:
Think I could slip that option in my blue car Mike, since the picture you showed us is blue, I figured I could do it too.

Seems simple to me. There apparently is one of those cars at the BMW dealer in B'ham. Drive down there, steal the seat out of it tonight. Modify the frame for the Fox upholstery. Voila, Fox Body with Executive Office option.

That may just be the North Mem'fis mafia coming out of me.

Reactions: 1 users
Man.....I can't wait for the whole house selling/buying crap to be over, and get back to some degree of normalcy.:nonono:
I mean I can't even leave a pair of shoes laying around anymore because of the constant state of ready that we have to have this house in...It's literally too freakin abby-normal for me.

That all ended yesterday.

What seems like forever ago since we listed this house for sale has netted us a serious full price offer, followed up by the immediate house inspection of this place ordered by that buyer...I think that barring any unreasonable major fix that the buyer requests that will break this deal, I can safely say that we have a contract to sell, and at the same time,...a contract to buy.

What's it been?.........Three weeks?

Now I'm not saying that that's the whole sum of this process, because we've been looking to buy now for months..There have actually been three houses that we've tried to buy...

The brand new small one in the Ghetto.....
The sprawling old one w/ the red barn and aluminum wiring...
And now the smoked in new(er) one w/ a three car garage and a man cave.

Yeah,.......Smoked in. I mean it freakin reeks.

Call me very skeptical that the seller will ever be able to get that house to a acceptable breathable level, but the contract stipulates that she does. In case she cant, she has set aside an additional 5k for us to use expressly for that purpose.

When you google things like cigarette smoke remediation, you get all kinds of remedies and testimonials.....mostly you get fails.
Nicotine permeates every inch of everything, clings to everything. The solutions out there involve washing down every inch of the inside from top to bottom w/ either vinegar/water, ammonia/water, or the nuclear option,.....trisodium phosphate/water. Opening the place, running fans and airing the house out, cleaning the carpet (4 bedrooms worth),

But there are just as many testimonials out there saying that that didn't work either.

Other procedures involve a process of using an ozone machine, but we "ozone" cars all the time. That sht don't work either.

People out there say that the entire house has to be cleaned first, then primed w/ Kilz, then painted. Carpet has to be steam cleaned, or removed,and replaced and all window coverings cleaned/laundered/replaced and THEN ozoned before the house will ever begin to take on any neutral odor....and all we have is a measly 5k to do that with....

Meh,......I'm not feeling that......... But then again, you don't know my wife.
She's convinced that we can just "clean" the odor away. And we have Mexicans that she can pay to do it.

Maybe she's right.

She said this house would sell at full price and it did. She said that our contingent buyer would sell her house, and she did. (in one day,....for cash) Right now based on those stats, I can't tell her sht.....I've been the naysayer on both counts.
So that means we go forward.

Nothing returns to normal though....Next comes the process of repairing anything that her inspection has picked apart,...packing all of our junk up,....and then the move. All in the next 30 days.

But there is a bright side for me in all of this.....Two separate garages, (Up and down) and a dedicated "male" space.
229d464684ce086479f690f38061c9dfl-m29xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Go through that door...and there'll be a Monster in there.
229d464684ce086479f690f38061c9dfl-m30xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

What looks like a tool box is actually a sink/counter. There's a "I'm too filthy to come inside" full bathroom behind the red wall.

It's the new "Monster Manor"...Just waiting on My audio system, a 60" LED TV, a couple of arm chairs and a sleeper/sofa.:banana:

229d464684ce086479f690f38061c9dfl-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

All on one level,...built in 1996,...out of Big Bad Wolf resistant brick and stone.

Hold on Monster,......30 more days,.....and it'll be me and you again,......like peas and carrots.

Reactions: 10 users
That place looks nice, Mike.

Cigarette smoke is hard to get out....but you can get it out. I had to clean my wife's car with thieves cleaner from a company called " Young Living " and Tuff Stuff ". I was skeptical but it worked for the car. We actually got it cheaper because it was a smoker car. The dealership had detailed it but the smell was still there.

I had to remove the seats, trim panels, and carpet and clean them. The headliner got cleaned in the car.

I hate cigarette smoke in a house. Unlike a car, its not as easy to remove and clean the carpet. The best option would be replacement of all that ish.

She will have new coverings for the windows....I've never bought a house and used anything of the previous owners that isn't nail, screwed, or liquid nailed down. A kitchen sink is one thing....a shower curtain is a completely different thing. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
What seems like forever ago since we listed this house for sale has netted us a serious full price offer,

It's the new "Monster Manor"...Just waiting on My audio system, a 60" LED TV, a couple of arm chairs and a sleeper/sofa.:banana:.
First off Mike, congratulations buddy.

Secondly........a sleeper sofa you say.......perhaps painter sized?.......hummmm.......:chin

Status
Not open for further replies.