Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for better or worse it's on. I've attached a vid

It's funny...when you watch the vid, vapors barely waft out of that breather....At idle, I don't have to worry about this. I don't have to worry about this at cruise, or even modest acceleration. But if I could put a camera under the hood after a 12 pound pull, things change.

Well see I guess.

* Side note listen to how the engine sounds faster on the side than it does straight in front of it...Crazy six banger,...
I love this thing.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Is there any way you could plumb the vent to the intake ? Any way to recirculate the fumes escaping the separator tank ?

Guess you already tried the check valve thing to the intake. You wouldn't want that stuff saturating the intercooler with oil. Might not be too bad.

Is there any way you could plumb the vent to the intake ? Any way to recirculate the fumes escaping the separator tank ?

Guess you already tried the check valve thing to the intake. You wouldn't want that stuff saturating the intercooler with oil. Might not be too bad.
No. I'd have to create a flapper valve to allow positive pressure to escape under boost, and close during vacuum for the PCV to route to the intake path...

Too much a91what sht for me..

Reactions: 2 users
Ok...
Officially agonizing over my conversation w/ my piston mfg.
He said that blow by is in direct relation to top ring seal. The "low tension/standard tension" equation when referring to piston ring sets is a feature of the oil control ring only, and is usually only a benefit to a full effort race engine, when trying to reduce the last possible amount of friction coefficient in the quest for more power.
Which brings me to the question.............Why do I have a max effort race set of rings in the Monsters engine?

Initially He wouldn't arbitrarily just throw out a guess when asked why I have three low cylinders in leak down testing. He said ultimately, it was gonna require a tear down to know for sure. But after admitting that this engine has seen several exposures to detonation, he took a stab at it....

"Oh the reason for your low cylinders is gonna be immediately visible to your eye,.....and since you added that information, I'm gonna guess that you're gonna see flakes, bits, or chunks of moly, missing from your top rings....as soon as those pistons are out of their holes your top rings will tell the story".

So,....I got that going for me.......Which is nice.

I got fender covers on the thing,....once a ratchet or wrench is in my hand,...bolts are coming out...

But the thing runs so nice...if only for the blow by, this thing is ready for the road trip..

Reactions: 2 users
Past the point of no return.....
20171211_143640_zpsyykh5orv.jpg

You'd think when you first drop a I6 in the car that there'd be a buttloadof room when you look at this skinny little btch.

But it's this junk that makes the engine look so big..
20171211_143653_zpscqls9pvk.jpg

I'll take my time the rest of the way,...no point in rushing now....

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, Mike. Ya don't want to knick a crank or crack a ring.

Just think....:thinking:

After this you won't have to worry. Well....not about the rings.

You'll find something to stress about....we all do.:cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, crooked picture time!

I know I said that I was gonna take my time, but...................I lied.

It's like Nick said above, @95BlueStallion . the new garage is great. So much so it actually is like working in the living room..Matter of fact, to the extreme that I actually went down there this morning in my Jammie's, and pulled the head off.:banana:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

( I had to rotate the pictures till I got them to display properly)

There is vertical scuffing obvious in the bottom of the cylinders, but nothing that you can catch a fingernail on.
The #2 chamber was wet with what I can only guess is oil, and the plug showed the same.

You have to pull this head to get to the top transmission bolts, you still could I guess, but it'd be a btch.

Ground work is next...laying on my back, removing the starter nod removing the converter, and trans bolts..once that's done, that turd will be swinging...

Reactions: 4 users
Wrench'n in your jammies? What does your wife say about this or is she used to it? Wonder how the conversations go with her friends, 'you should have seen that nincompoop dancing around his mancave this moring in his pajamas, I swear, he didn't even have matching slippers.
Her friends response: GAUD, I hope he had the garage door closed, what would the neighbors think about the slippers? He wasen't wearing that damn box on his head again was he?

Reactions: 1 user
So note the carbon build up on the pistons, that can kind of tell you how it is burning. Looks like you have some quench going on. From my knowledge that is a requirement for a NA but not necessary for boosted, and can actually be a source of detonation. If I were to design a piston for your application I would have done flat top. Which would have probably ended up down in the bore ~.200-.300 based on what I see on your dish.

Also why do you have different intake valves? Some are dished and some are flat? Or is that just the pics?

So note the carbon build up on the pistons, that can kind of tell you how it is burning. Looks like you have some quench going on. From my knowledge that is a requirement for a NA but not necessary for boosted, and can actually be a source of detonation. If I were to design a piston for your application I would have done flat top. Which would have probably ended up down in the bore ~.200-.300 based on what I see on your dish.

Also why do you have different intake valves? Some are dished and some are flat? Or is that just the pics?
It's the pic. They're all the same. All turned down BBC (from 1.88 to 1.75) exhaust valves that I'm using for the intake,..all 1.5 SBC + .500 long Exhaust valves.
I can see the obscured flame front as well, and it woulda been nice to be able to do this w/a flat top, but the pistons had to have the dish. I've always thought that a lack of proper quench is a source for detonation. Even then the CR is still over 10.5:1. ( I'll know what it is this time difinitively, I'll cc the chamber myself) I have an .060 thick MLS head gasket coming in place of the old .040 piece. Cometic said that should drop my CR about .5 pt.
If I can get the CR down to 10:1 that should help considerably.

It's a double edged sword though, my rocker contact pattern on my valves is dead in the middle,..a .020 raise in gasket thickness will cause the roller tip to move farther back on the valve.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.