Status
Not open for further replies.
I did forget one small detail to yesterdays' update. In retrospect, It's actually a fairly major tidbit because it adds the "human factor" to what I do.

The very first thing I do.

The very first minute, of the very first hour of the 8 hour day I spent in the basement yesterday I have a little "Young Frankenstein minute".

I was gonna tack weld part of the revamped tail light panel in place. I thought that I'd just hold the pieces in place w/ my bare hand.

Literally no sooner did I pull the trigger on the gun, and a blob of molten metal spattered off of the steel I was welding on, and landed on the ring finger of my left hand.
It landed, then proceeded to melt it's way to into my finger, all while my knowledge of that was obscured by the darkened lens on my welding helmet.
The pain signaling my brain that there was "an incident" that I needed to pay attention to caused my
OWWWWWWWFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCCKKKK!!!!!!! reaction.
P4060982_zps7f0008c9.jpg

I flung my helmet open to see this in full fester, that little molten ball now on the ground still glowing red, only now w/ part of my finger on it.
Now I am reminded why I quit welding things about 35 years ago...

• Sponsors (?)

As a footnote to the "I don't give a damn chronicles",...Chose my paint colors. Tomorrow, I'll go to my paint supplier and commit. Gonna buy the 2k primer, 1 gal orange, and 2 qts of black.

Harley Orange/black two tone exterior.
Camel/black/tan interior.
Black engine compartment, Orange/blk. engine

I'm gonna paint it myself in a single stage.

The only decision left to make is whether or not to paint the black in a Suede finish.
7ijz.jpg

The orange will be the black part, the black the white. I'll do a gold divider pinstripe between the colors just like I did my last drag car.
enginecompartment014dr8.jpg

Except unlike the Mustang above,..The engine compartment will be black, and the engine orange. Opposite of the pic above.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh bite me,....Like you've never did something like that before.

Wait........

I forgot.

You don't need gloves when the only thing you use your hands for is to hold the pen.:runaway:
That's real funny, except for the fact that in the time it's taken me to assemble an entire car, you've only managed to choose paint colors, and find the right angle of "square" to put lights on a shoebox.

It takes a rare form of boldness to talk smack when one's artistic creativity maxes out at "I know! I'll use the sane color scheme as one of my previous cars, but I'll be totally cutting edge by switching the orange to black and black to orange! That's so radical that the world probably won't appreciate it until I'm dead, like Picasso."

That's real funny, except for the fact that in the time it's taken me to assemble an entire car, you've only managed to choose paint colors, and find the right angle of "square" to put lights on a shoebox.

It takes a rare form of boldness to talk smack when one's artistic creativity maxes out at "I know! I'll use the sane color scheme as one of my previous cars, but I'll be totally cutting edge by switching the orange to black and black to orange! That's so radical that the world probably won't appreciate it until I'm dead, like Picasso."
The Pope said to Michelangelo "When will it be finished?"
Michelangelo said "When it is done".
The Pope asked again "When will it be finished?"
Michelangelo said again "When it is done".

Don't rush the artist, the end results are worth the wait. Don't believe me? Check out the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel in Rome...

Reactions: 1 user

It takes a rare form of boldness to talk smack when one's artistic creativity maxes out at "I know! I'll use the sane color scheme as one of my previous cars, but I'll be totally cutting edge by switching the orange to black and black to orange! That's so radical that the world probably won't appreciate it until I'm dead, like Picasso.
"

Wow,..guess the stick I stuck in your eye must've been really blunt, and had dirt on it too.

If you think all I managed to do so far is choose paint colors, and mount tail lights on a car that they didn't come on, then so be it.
Although I know there is alot of filler in the previous 20+ pages, you must've missed the parts where I talk about what else has been accomplished. To save you from having to do so, I'll give you the " Cliff notes bathroom edition"...... that started with mini-tubbing the body, scratch building the intake, and exhaust manifolds, adapted a head to an engine it didn't fit on, made a solid roller cam work in an engine that never had one, then adapted a SBF balancer, and timing chain to fit it, narrowed your own rearend, built your own subframe connectors, built your own oilpan and then built your own F.I ECU from a kit,...all in the time I've had it, all while working a real job. That's since the last update where I'm wrestling w/ making taillights fit on a car that they clearly don't fit on.
So as far comments w/ regard to the limits of my creativity goes,and what I've managed to do in a certain time frame, I'll take them w/ a grain of salt.Most people that build their own don't have the additional resources to fly in one of their ex employees to help "put it together".
I had that orange black car painted for 90 days before I sold it. So for me re-using colors that I never put more than one coat of wax on is still "new to me". Again, when doing it yourself, I think it best to know your limits, and mine stop at being able to paint a non-metallic color. The fact that I want/intend to use brown/tans inside were the criteria for what goes on the outside.
That said, there aren't too many exterior colors that work w/ brown interior colors, and you can bet I didn't immediately have the decision to use the Harley paint scheme just pop in my head.

All of this in 8 months. That doesn't give any consideration to the previous red car that got entirely built in one year. Whether you liked or hated that one,...it took a little more "artistic creativity" to build that one too.

Bottom line, I'm sorry if the snide comment about you paying for your progress cut a little deep.

Last edited:
Woops--lack of smileys made the post come across wrong. I wasn't hurt--in fact, I didn't even get the dig about the pen until now. My intent was just to flip stuff back at you--definitely didn't mean to offend. There was boatloads of sarcasm in that post, but they didn't make it through the electrons.

My apologies. I meant it all in good fun. I know you've done stuff that I'd never be able to do, but might try some day.

And for what it's worth, I don't have near as much money as you seem to think I do, and the primary reason I brought an old friend in was to get to spend quality time turning wrenches.

And I never hated the red car either. I still show people the pictures to tell them about your insane fab skills.

Can I get a re-do?

Status
Not open for further replies.