Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

This is a Turbosmart Pro-gate 50. Not cheap, (550.00) but purchased on Ebay for cheap.(295.00).
As I struggle to find the cause as to why this thing isn’t working right, I have to “assume” certain things..
I assumed that the inlet flange I was using on the S pipe was generic..I was wrong. The flange is specific...in order to even get it to go together, it has to be the right one. ( meaning that I have the right flange now).
The flange that I was using to do my test where the valve seat wouldn’t make contact was generic (wrong)...in other words that flange that is coming today will be exactly like the one currently on the S pipe.
Which will bring me right back around to why won’t this thing seal properly.
Please don’t take this as me being a dick. It was 295 on eBay because it’s most definitely a fake and that is the issue with it sealing. Most of the copy’s have inferior machining or parts that lead to these issues

• Sponsors (?)

Please don’t take this as me being a dick. It was 295 on eBay because it’s most definitely a fake and that is the issue with it sealing. Most of the copy’s have inferior machining or parts that lead to these issues
No worries...that is one of the possible scenarios I've considered too, It came in a turbosmart box. The cast logo on the side of the gate looks right...I don't know how else I can vet this thing.
it is an older unit than the current units available, as the dome is screwed down, instead of being held in place by a screw down collar. Im justifying the reduced price that I was able to buy it for because of that reason.
I'm grasping at straws here..Id rather not just throw this thing away on the chance that it might not be what I think it is.

So,...ill get this new flange today, and clamp it down to the inlet, then do the light test again..and ill decide which way to go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I'm dumb as a bag of hammers... but what is CD8IT8NT supposed to mean?

Good to know I'm not the only one having trouble trying to decipher the code. :shrug:

lol i think "sedate it aint"

I was leaning toward "sedate" but wasn't putting it all together. Now it makes sense.... :nice:
Its me...when I'm following somebody with a personal plate it gets either one of two or three reactions from me based on how hard it is to figure out.
1. If you are so lame that the plate you wanted has been taken so many times in any version you could spell it that you have to resort to using a 3 for an e, and a 5 for an s..
It isn't very personal now is it?
2. If you make it so hard to figure out that nobody gets it..you may as well just left the regular plate on the car, ......nobody knows what the hell you're trying to say anyway.
3. If on the other hand...hours later....you're driving along and that plate had long ago left your lane, and it finally pops into your head.... :banana:

Don't matter anyway..its too many letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Well...the gadget i made to test boost pressure loss just bitch slapped me..

Like a Ohh my God! Kinda bitch slap.
20210209_140718.jpg

The one end is sealed with a 2" expando freeze plug, and the other end is clamped like it woulda been if it was tied into the exhaust...air pressure is leaking past the seat, and the v band flange starting at 3psi. By the time you get it up to 10 psi, its leaking like mad...and 15 psi is a full on jug fck.
SOMETHING IS FCKED HERE...whether its the seat, or the band flange on the wastegate..nothing is sealed.
This isn't a small leak..this is outrageous.

Time to bite the bullet.

• Angry
  • Wow
Dammit man.... if this has been the issue all along Ill be pissed off for you
It takes over 20 psi to even get the wastegate valve to crack..
So..im wondering if my turbo was having to actually make 40 psi to show 20 pounds of boost?

A new gate will be here thursday...Another 465.00 dollars straight down the drain.
Turbosmart hasn't been answering the phone, So I called the dealer that I got the turbo from. He said the gate looked like an authentic unit but was potentially defective..and that was what I probably got. He said I could replace the valve, and the seat if I wanted to try that first,
To which I promptly said no to..

It takes over 20 psi to even get the wastegate valve to crack..
So..im wondering if my turbo was having to actually make 40 psi to show 20 pounds of boost?

A new gate will be here thursday...Another 465.00 dollars straight down the drain.
Turbosmart hasn't been answering the phone, So I called the dealer that I got the turbo from. He said the gate looked like an authentic unit but was potentially defective..and that was what I probably got. He said I could replace the valve, and the seat if I wanted to try that first,
To which I promptly said no to..
Good choice.. sometimes its nice to just have something you know will work for piece of mind.

Geeze. Cost waka mole. But it is page 69 of your new Gila Monster Archipelago. I read ever one of the first install, and Solzhenitsyn aint got nothin on ya.

Do the research. Boostane is advertising dramatic octane increases based on adding a little over an ounce per gallon to yield 5 points over rated pump octane, with not only testimonials to back it up, but several other magazines/ websites corroborating the results when measured against the other commercially available octane boosters for...
a little over a dollar an ounce.

I do Think I might have to fill out another BurtHurt Report, tho'.

Shadze of the

1. Cost of carbon fiber push rods

2. and a block plate costs again.

3. Or just some Open window solid roller rockers

ArgentineSP221andChevy250stylerollerfollower.jpg

naUxKMlX6Du1w_0v0c91of38ag7KGQfnlxoLOGG9ApMomLZP8W.jpg

4. And not hole sawing the block, but just using 12 3/8" Franken bolts

xproxy.php,qimage=https,P3A,P2F,P2Fhosting.photobucket.com,P2Fimages,P2Fcc501,P2Fxecute6,P2F221_argie_roller_cam_000_1389.jpg,ahash=9d31e8aac1ba578539f77868a5846c2b.pagespeed.ic.BbsvD9-fzc.webp

5. and the non cross flow head Painting what your priming preach.

af3b2cfe563d6b8c3656f7ed41.pagespeed.ic.7KPVSgrUiW.jpg

6. And the HSO timing chain

7. And the HSO 6 inch con rods

I've got six fingers on each hand, 12 fingers, but wont continue...

8. Paint thinners is what Toluene is. It can be gotten for way less if its supplied another way. But Im not sure how it is in the Bam.

Down here, the Aromatic hydrocarbon boost through benzene base is sustained as long as it stays in suspension. The aftermarket concentrate octane boost isn't sustained.

The old David Vizard rule before he got bitten by the tacoon who sold TK7 bug is the right one.

Find a cheap source of benzene, and add it to low test gas. Brew you own. As you know Mike, I work with the petrochemical industry. I like thinners. Especially at less than 18 bucks a US gallon. Down here, we have Bitumen seal Macadam, and its used as a diluent for chipping out roads. Dang, if I was having critters pay me 20 bucks per gallon to supply them with toluene, I could retire!

Anyway, you should run 6 ounce of Boostane every tank on 93 octane. That should bring you to 98 octane and do the trick.

Onwards an upwards. Nail that Six Babeh!

Last edited:
Geeze. Cost waka mole. But it is page 69 of your new Gila Monster Archipelago. I read ever one of the first install, and Solzhenitsyn aint got nothin on ya.

I do Think I might have to fill out another BurtHurt Report, tho'.

Shadze of the

1. Cost of carbon fiber push rods

2. and a block plate costs again.

3. Or just some Open window solid roller rockers

ArgentineSP221andChevy250stylerollerfollower.jpg

naUxKMlX6Du1w_0v0c91of38ag7KGQfnlxoLOGG9ApMomLZP8W.jpg

4. And not hole sawing the block, but just using 12 3/8" Franken bolts

aac1ba578539f77868a5846c2b.pagespeed.ic.BbsvD9-fzc.jpg

5. and the non cross flow head Painting what your priming preach.

af3b2cfe563d6b8c3656f7ed41.pagespeed.ic.7KPVSgrUiW.jpg

6. And the HSO timing chain

7. And the HSO 6 inch con rods

I've got six fingers on each hand, 12 fingers, but wont continue...

8. Paint thinners is what Toluene is. It can be gotten for way less if its supplied another way. But Im not sure how it is in the Bam.

Down here, the Aromatic hydrocarbon boost through benzene base is sustained as long as it stays in suspension. The aftermarket concentrate octane boost isn't sustained.

The old David Vizard rule before he got bitten by the tacoon who sold TK7 bug is the right one.

Find a cheap source of benzene, and add it to low test gas. Brew you own.
As you know Mike, I work with the petrochemical industry. I like thinners. Especially at less than 18 bucks a US gallon.
Down here, we have Bitumen seal Macadam, and its used as a diluent for chipping out roads. Dang, if I was having critters pay me 20 bucks per gallon to supply them with toluene, I could retire!

Anyway, you should run 6 ounce of Boostane every tank on 93 octane. That should bring you to 98 octane and do the trick.

Onwards an upwards. Nail that Six Babeh!
I think you like thinners more than you know....like in a shot glass. ;)

• Winner
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Sometimes fixing a Toyota just requires Stiff Drink Artillery.
Either Toyota sends junk to the land down under or you're crazy. I've worked on every non-exotic make in the US market, and a couple of exotics including Bentley and Tesla in my 17+ years working on cars.

The only cars easier to work on than Toyotas are Hyundai/Kia. The worst, by far, is BMW/Mini (it would be Audi if BMW didn't use plastics that turn into a parafin-like substance and rubber that turns into tar).

• Haha
This isnt a " the wife and children I have been given" are at fault post. But when they buy upspec 4stage auto 20 valve and four wheel drive Toyotas with 11 to one comprssion engines with air con and JDM spring tower support kits, there is no room at the Inn. Id rather work on my mates MR2 Turbo or the 944S my work mate had. I was just inches off buying the Poor Sh!÷ joke in 2018. You dont have 145 hp 4AGE 20 valve Trueno's, 177 hp 3SGE RAV4.1s, or the four wheel drive 1996 Camry Station wagons or Stagea RS4 AWD Nissans with no OBDII ports and no live data and because of this, they have earth problems, ignition and fuel pump and ABS problems that I spend all my spare time sorting out.The service aspect is difficult on these. Your US cars dont have the brake,steering and key ohc belt drives where the key servos go. Air con, power steering, ABS...always in the wrong spot, and AWD power transfers that stop easy service. Actually, I think there is a red Maserati Merak SS 3 liter in Te Anua that needs a good home.Easier to service.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user