Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

You’ll find that I do not cave to double dog dares..
EE4A7F23-DA8F-4A78-BA2D-81362F7493DA.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Whether this was yet another one of my wasted time projects, I’ll know soon enough ….
I now have one of the two brake projects complete. This lever valve will allow me to manually lock rear brake pressure to serve as a park brake. It seems like it’ll work, ( at least it does in the air)…but there is still air in the lines, and i gotta get that purged before i can road test it for real.
I considered doing that valve. Why not put a real parking brake on it though?

Kurt

If you're skeert, say you're skeert.
He has seen too many 'car show burnout fails'
Does not want to be 'that guy'
Again…..( how many times need I say this) ….Brand new mid-premium 315 x 17 rubber costs 225.00 per side.
Im not burning 500.00 Nitto’s up for the sake of 15 second Youtube fame, that on this website, will be 3rd page old news in two days.
No matter what the polls say..

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Again…..( how many times need I say this) ….Brand new mid-premium 315 x 17 rubber costs 225.00 per side.
Im not burning 500.00 Nitto’s up for the sake of 15 second Youtube fame, that on this website, will be 3rd page old news in two days.
Never past page 6. There’s still people asking for the 600 page thread every once in a while.
A Monster burnout would have some staying power for sure.
(All this coming from a guy who also doesn’t waste money, and tread, going up in smoke):hide:

Cables,…..Handles. Have you seen my interior? Do you honestly think I’m gonna put some “ handle“ anywhere in that console?
Where was the OEM e-brake lever or pedal? You do realize that it is referred to as an emergency brake, and not a "parking brake." As an aviator, it is impossible to not recognize the importance of system redundancy.

Sorry that doing a burnout represents a financial hardship. I am of the same opinion; considering it degenerate behavior. However, I have a set of slicks and front runners here that are so far past their expiration that it is only fitting that they go through sublimation. Come on over if you want to do some guilt free burnouts.

As for actual performance, I bet bottom dollar that my 275 tires will hook up better on my super overpriced axle than your "premium 315s" will.

Kurt

• Hell Yeah!
You've pissed away more $$ than that on stuff that you set out at the curb for the scrap guy. At least we would get a good show out of a burnout video. Hell I'd settl for a drive by or in cab run... Or are you too lazy to inbox the GoPro?

As for actual performance, I bet bottom dollar that my 275 tires will hook up better on my super overpriced axle than your "premium 315s" will.

Kurt

There's a little juvenile in most of us.

Refrain is good,no one wants to see some clapped out grandma car trying to spin it's wheels.

You've pissed away more $$ than that on stuff that you set out at the curb for the scrap guy. At least we would get a good show out of a burnout video. Hell I'd settl for a drive by or in cab run... Or are you too lazy to inbox the GoPro?
Why does this still feel like i’m getting pushed into doing something I said I‘m not gonna do?

The Toyo’s will be here today according to Fedex. I guess I’ll strip the 9000 ounces of weight off of the other set of rims, and have them mounted.
The tires are for rolling traction from a dig, not drag strip launches. The clutch is still only rated for some ambiguous torque holding spec, and based on my lack of solid tech help from their “ tech” guy at Spec clutch the last time I talked to these guys when I was having install issues, I’m not entirely sure what torque capacity this clutch is actually rated to hold. And testing its holding power to fail safe is nothing that I have any interest in.

Street tires on the street are never an issue…Brand new hot drag radials……..even on the street,.. are a different story.

Ive been driving the car since Saturday. I drove it to work yesterday, and will again for the next two days. Kates car has a blown tire courtesy of a pothole, and since it’s all wheel drive, Subaru insists that she has to install the exact same tire to avoid damaging her ”active differential“. That Uniroyal tire had to be ordered. So,…she driving my BMW for a few days….and I’m driving the Monster.

THE RATIONAL SIDE OF MY BRAIN SAYS:

Since I’ve been driving it a lot more, the whole issue of lack o traction is just now starting to become a matter of
” Do I really need to roll into the throttle hard enough ( over 30% tps) to put this thing into boost every single time I accelerate away from a light?”
But I know me….that’s a YTD at this time.
And while I can certainly apply that thought process to my driving 85-90% of the time…Theres still that 10-15% of the time that my foots gonna be on the floor.
And if all I need the drag radials for is to control the juvenile behavior that occurs 10-15% of the time…(If I drive it with that mindset)……

I don’t need no stinkin drag radials.

But this is pure, “ sittin in my jammies, drinking coffee in the morning idle chatter“. Maybe after getting the good tires on the car, the juvenile re-occupancy factor might go way up. ( Then 15% becomes 20, or 30, maybe….49%)
I’ll have to test out that theory. Starting immediately after I put the Toyo’s on the car Thursday.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Now let me be clear, I don't care if you do a burnout or not, yes it looks cool, a rolling second gear pull sideways is fun to do and watch, till it all goes wrong.
I think we will get at least a vid of some minor shenanigans.
You didn't build the car to race.
A bunch of torque and not squeeze the fun peddle once in a while?
points off your 'man card'.
you can always get Kate buzzed again and let her do WERRRRBIIISSSH turbo sounds,

• Haha