Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

What about an aluminum airplane wrap with the rivets and all, but with your own designs/decals. Make it look how you want, versus modeling after a particular plane. Build your own plane Mike!

Edit: I can visualize a terrified cat facing forward on the front fenders, with a vertical radiator and fan set up on the rear quarter! Some airbrushed airflow/exhaust in between showing the suction between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I got home early, and proceeded swap out the rear pump. I ck’d polarity to make sure the pump was operating in the right direction...I filled the reservoir with water, and turned on the pump through tuner studio..It made noise, but didn’t move an ounce of water.
Fck me....
I removed the feed line coming out of the tank ( a real pain in the ass) to ck it for obstruction..( it was clear). I removed the second feed line coming out of the floor going to the pump...( another pain in the ass)...it too was clear.
I rigged up a hose so that I could see if i could actually blow through the entire cooling system...( I could).

That left nothing but Logic...( Spock woulda been proud). I back filled the system with water using a transfer pump. Whe water started filling the reservoir from the bottom, I knew that there was no restriction, or air in the lines...I filled the reservoir up full enough so that I wouldn’t pump it dry if it worked, and again turned on the pump.

Its moving water. I watched through the open reservoir fill cap as returning water first sputtered,..then started flowing full force out of the return fitting.. and I’m thinking...

Fck me.

There was nothing wrong with the red pump...All it needed was a back fill to prime the system.

One one hand...I now have a back up pump should the new one fail ( after the one year warranty it comes with).

On the other hand...I just threw away 200.00 dollars because i didn’t think to back fill the system first.

20210422_194338.jpg

* Edit...for those that don’t know what kind of a butcher i am,...look at my poor tail pipe...cut 3 times before the V band, and one big assed pie wedge cut after...
Im such a hack.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got home early, and proceeded swap out the rear pump. I ck’d polarity to make sure the pump was operating in the right direction...I filled the reservoir with water, and turned on the pump through tuner studio..It made noise, but didn’t move an ounce of water.
Fck me....
I removed the feed line coming out of the tank ( a real pain in the ass) to ck it for obstruction..( it was clear). I removed the second feed line coming out of the floor going to the pump...( another pain in the ass)...it too was clear.
I rigged up a hose so that I could see if i could actually blow through the entire cooling system...( I could).

That left nothing but Logic...( Spock woulda been proud). I back filled the system with water using a transfer pump. Whe water started filling the reservoir from the bottom, I knew that there was no restriction, or air in the lines...I filled the reservoir up full enough so that I wouldn’t pump it dry if it worked, and again turned on the pump.

Its moving water. I watched through the open reservoir fill cap as returning water first sputtered,..then started flowing full force out of the return fitting.. and I’m thinking...

Fck me.

There was nothing wrong with the red pump...All it needed was a back fill to prime the system.

One one hand...I now have a back up pump should the new one fail ( after the one year warranty it comes with).

On the other hand...I just threw away 200.00 dollars because i didn’t think to back fill the system first.

20210422_194338.jpg

* Edit...for those that don’t know what kind of a butcher i am,...look at my poor tail pipe...cut 3 times before the V band, and one big assed pie wedge cut after...
Im such a hack.
A real hack job requires booger welds from a rod.

Just remember the wrap will be done twice at least as the first time it will be too much of whatever or miscommunication. The second will be well that was not what I wanted either. The third will be just right and by this time you will be kicker yourself on why you didn't just paint the car over again in the first place as cost will be about equal by then! Sound about the common theme for the rest of the build? Ok good!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
A real hack job requires booger welds from a rod.
Nope..there are guys here that can take a mig, “the easiest welder to use on the planet” and fck it up. Booger is a relative term with those guys...it should be more like.....”all the boogers you‘ll ever find under a third grade lunch counter”....weld.

I used to have teeth and a tongue...but since I've been here.....and out of “consideration” for those who try,.....
I've ground my teeth to bone, and bit my tongue clean the fck off.

Proud Hackery is different from Ashamed hackery.....It’s the difference between using the word “don’t”.

i.e. P.H. “Look at what I’ve done”./ A.H. “Don’t look at what I’ve done”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From somewhere amuck page 300 to 4 hunderd and something, search xecute stangnet stylus Gain Control and the 621 page Gila Monster Chronicles . The Stylus record cover has for GainControl has, IMHO, a hint of the essence you seek. I'm all for hard core (₩)RAP.

Last edited:
From somewhere amuck page 300 to 4 hunderd and something, search xecute stangnet stylus Gain Control and the 621 page Gila Monster Chronicles . The Stylus record cover has for GainControl has, IMHO, a hint of the essence you seek. I'm all for hard core (₩)RAP.
You’re Batting a thousand again Dean... right on track..I still don’t know what the Hell you’re talking about.

• Haha
Since I came up with the notion of wrapping the car, the one biggest hurdle is the orange door jambs, and the areas under the hood/trunk. If I was to go forward with any wrap scheme, i’d have to repaint those areas in some compatible color,....And that alone will kill this idea. I justified the notion because of the potential to reverse everything back to the paint under the wrap, if I decide to go back. It seems that the wraps end at the door skin, and That’d leave the back side of the door orange...I’m not going to even consider doing something that’ll end up looking like a half-assed paint job.

Now i don’t know for sure,...maybe they carry the wrap completely to the door panel edge...but I can’t see how they’ll work it around the hinge..

And then theres the “ How do I want it to look”...Every example of every wrap I see looks like it’ll get old in about a minute,..and every example is either on some Euro or Japanese vehicle...

There are some cool wraps though...
1619269026405.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
The Water recirc system is fixed..The front end is DIY aligned..( the tires are dead vertical, and the tires are 1/8” toed in.)
The front splitter may, or may not be fixed by the time I gotta bail and head that way tomorrow, but that is the least of my concerns...it’s ready to take back out again. The front tires are noticeably forward...I’ll be sure to snap a side profile pic to illustrate that, but they don’t hit nothing. And as far as i’m concerned, I DGAF about that, as long as everything else works, and looks good.
The show was supposed to be today ( Saturday) but it got rained delayed till Sunday. That’ll let me participate.
Its a judged show though,...I could give a rats red bunion hole about some trophy, especially knowing that the judges are looking for restored mid 50’s-60’s..stuff as the go-to for their trophies...

I just want to be parked next to the guy with the pristine 1962 Studebaker Hawk, and have a stream of people pass his stodgy ass by, and stop by the monster instead....always pisses them off...especially when they learn that there is a jap engine in my car.

All i gotta do is wash the bugs off from Florida, and I’m there....

Reactions: 4 users
Well, as luck would have it, I get this crazy guy next to me.
20210425_130948.jpg

He spends the day posing next to his 29 model a that has a freakin SBC Chevy in it. Instead of talking about the car, he goes on an on about the St.Valentines day massacre..Soon as somebody walks by, he grabs his wooden Tommy gun, and strikes a pose...
Maybe next time I come to one of these local events, ill make up some sort of tornado costume...and talk about the weather.. :banana:

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users