Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

At least .030 had to come off the inside of this rotor…how long would that’ve taken?
Since it's an interrupted cut it would depend on the integrity of the cutter as well as the feed and speed of the cut. Since automotive brake lathes aren't built like an actual lathe and the operators aren't machinsts, it could take quite a while and the results might not be what you'd like - if they were acceptable at all. I think the best bet on a drilled/slotted rotor would be a rotary grinder. The back side would be the easiest to take care of on a Blanchard type grinder, but the front side would most likely need to be set up on a lathe with a grinder attachment OR set up on an ID/OD grinder and ground with the side of the wheel, which is problematic in it's own way. That's just me thinking off the top of my head though, I'm sure there are other ways to go about it. I'm not saying they can't be turned, but it's most likely going to take someone with some machining knowledge to have it done right. Generally speaking, people operating brake lathes aren't it.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

i’ve gotta admit..

Ive been looking at full tilt 4l60e auto trans builds…

But the rational side of my brain is still intact….The one that’s telling me that:
I’m……almost……there.

Im telling you one thing though….rational or irrational brain….

If after getting that bleeder hose, bleeding that slave cylinder,….. and i still don’t have a clutch ….

You guess what comes next.

i’ve gotta admit..

Ive been looking at full tilt 4l60e auto trans builds…

But the rational side of my brain is still intact….The one that’s telling me that:
I’m……almost……there.

Im telling you one thing though….rational or irrational brain….

If after getting that bleeder hose, bleeding that slave cylinder,….. and i still don’t have a clutch ….

You guess what comes next.
Youll take an 80 out to put a 60 in ? You’re smarter then this. Don’t go backward to go even more backward. I don’t care what pile of nonsense anyone sells you on they are hard to make live at the power that engine is and will make

Stay the coarse.

You will let some hydraulic TOB beat you ???

If it doesn't work then pull it out and shim that SOB some more.

That brings up a good point. Is there a way you can measure the throw of the bearing to see if it's moving the correct distance ? If it's moving the correct distance then it's a shim issue. If it isn't it's a hydraulic problem. Either way it's easier, and cheaper, then going backwards. The time also becomes an issue. There's still plenty of good cruising time left. If you go the transmission swap route it may be down for a whole lot longer.

If there isn't a way to see in the bellhousing I'm sure a dremel can take care of that.

Stay the coarse.

You will let some hydraulic TOB beat you ???

If it doesn't work then pull it out and shim that SOB some more.

That brings up a good point. Is there a way you can measure the throw of the bearing to see if it's moving the correct distance ? If it's moving the correct distance then it's a shim issue. If it isn't it's a hydraulic problem. Either way it's easier, and cheaper, then going backwards. The time also becomes an issue. There's still plenty of good cruising time left. If you go the transmission swap route it may be down for a whole lot longer.

If there isn't a way to see in the bellhousing I'm sure a dremel can take care of that.
I know,..it’s the voice of frustration talking.
The only way to check T/O bearing movement is to either holesaw an observation hole in the bottom of the bellhousing ( and i don’t know if that’ll let me truly see what’s happening much less measure anything).
or remove the thing, hook it back up to the master cylinder and measure it that way.
I think it’s supposed to be moving 1/2” total travel..If this next round of bleeding doesn’t solve the problem, i’ll find out for sure.

And I am staying the course…although as rough as this has been on me it’s definitely “coarse”.

Reactions: 1 users
Did I hear you say slush was quicker than a clutch?
I did, and in the case of some automatics, they are definitely quicker than a clutch. I took this on thinking i was gonna get rid of weight, heat, and drivetrain loss. And it probably will do all of that if i can ever get the thing to go into gear. As for install time, I had the 4l80 out/in about an hour with minimal hassle compared to the near stroke i had trying to get that round bottomed heavy bitch bolted back to the engine.

I did, and in the case of some automatics, they are definitely quicker than a clutch. I took this on thinking i was gonna get rid of weight, heat, and drivetrain loss. And it probably will do all of that if i can ever get the thing to go into gear. As for install time, I had the 4l80 out/in about an hour with minimal hassle compared to the near stroke i had trying to get that round bottomed heavy bitch bolted back to the engine.

I feel your pain. It's painful that the more heavy duty something is....the heavy part becomes painfully obvious. It would be nice if the universe was constantly moving towards organization and the stronger something is, the lighter it is. The 4Alady is one heavy pig. But pretty damn strong.
If you have to take the manual back out, maybe you can fab a better mount for your jack or figure out a better way to work with it.

Are you having trouble bleeding your clutch CarMichael Angelo? You know they self bleed with about a thousand pumps right? Squirt them a few times out the bleeder and then pump till tomorrow. You should be starting to get some pedal around 3 AM Grab some good whisky

• Haha
I feel your pain. It's painful that the more heavy duty something is....the heavy part becomes painfully obvious. It would be nice if the universe was constantly moving towards organization and the stronger something is, the lighter it is. The 4Alady is one heavy pig. But pretty damn strong.
If you have to take the manual back out, maybe you can fab a better mount for your jack or figure out a better way to work with it.
that was the last part of the day.

Are you having trouble bleeding your clutch CarMichael Angelo? You know they self bleed with about a thousand pumps right? Squirt them a few times out the bleeder and then pump till tomorrow. You should be starting to get some pedal around 3 AM Grab some good whisky
This one doesn’t self bleed..that part was removed in favor of adding a -3 an fitting to allow a braided hose to feed this freakin thing.

it’s a nightmare...nobody will want to do this, even if they can.

When did I say that ? :shrug:

20 years ago when that book was new, I followed that first example to a tee. When it came time to lower the car to the ground, the suspension bound up. That first example is an absolute no-go.

Naahhhh, I just like ringing your door bell, then running away.:runaway:

See above..

It don’t look like that anymore..:nonono:

Now that all of the people are answered ( thanks for the comments)..Let me tell about the jug phck that today was.

Right after updating this thread i went downstairs on a mission..I knew what I had to do, the problem was, I didn’t have what I needed to do it. The blade on my portable band saw ( my weapon of choice) was done,..I don’t think it would even cut me..After 15 minutes of binding and bucking, I put that thing down. I got out my Sawzall,..( Which I really hate) only to find that I had no better blades for it either...but that didn’t stop me from spending another 15 minutes eating that time too,..all the while cussing like a sailor.
All I had left was a freakin cut off wheel on an angle grinder...Just what I wanted at 9:30 am, to get my ass burned up from hot metal sparks...A perfect way to start what was set to be an epic test of my sanity.

And so we begin.

Eventually, I get the thing cut off,..cleaned up, and spun 90*. And at the “Do it twice mike‘s welding and fabrication emporium, where I never tack ANYTHING, preferring to weld the piss out of it instead....

I welded the piss out of it.

Followed up by cleaning that up, then primed it, and painted it.

Now that I had the thing turned the right way, I fell into a complete state of brain cramp....I realized that I had omitted several steps that I shoulda took measurements on...or, took steps to come up with a temporary jig to hold things where they were supposed to be but, nope,....not me,....Not today
You’d think as many race cars that I‘ve scratch built over the years, something that shoulda concerned
somebody whose removing upper control arms, ( That’ll cause the rear to just flop forward)...Or removing the coil overs, that now allow the entire flopped forward rear to completely drop as far as the brake line will let it drop, before it rips out of the floor...would’ve concerned me.
Did I think about any of that sht,...or take one freakin measurement to give me a reference point to work from?
Nope,..Do it twice Mike here...we’re flyin blind.

So because I had no point of reference to work back to,...I ended up going around in circles...wondering if an egg came before a chicken...or if a tree falling in the woods makes any noise when nobodies around to hear it...
For about two freakin hours.

Finally, I find a path...I decide to work back from the crossmember since it’s done...I put the thing in place, square it up..

But.........

The newly piss-welded bushing mount is almost an inch off center.

Now you know what that noise you thought you heard at 1:45 this afternoon...I think i popped a blood vessel from screaming.

So,...I gotta cut it back off again..Now w/o the benefit of anything i’d use to cut steel, except the cut off wheel. This time, I cannot save it...I have to cut the thing up in pieces so that the cut off wheel will reach far enough to get the job done.

Fortunately.....I have the other one.

By now I’m whipped, screaming pissed,..I decide to break, and go buy the bolt that will hold the male portion of the torque arm, with the female portion being the part that has driven me to the brink. I need like a 6” long, 12 mmx1.75 pitch metric bolt...Now where do ya spose I’m gonna find that bitch on a Sunday?

I choose Lowe’s. I chose,.........poorly.
A 1/2” bolt is close, I buy one, hoping that maybe i’ll be able to drill the hole open to the size. Since I was there, I bought new blades for the band saw.

When I get home, I put the piece in my drill press, get one of my sharpest dull assed 1/2” bits,...and start...To my amazement..it’s working. Evidently the shaft material i’m gonna use as a “male member“ isn’t hardened. I drill it as far as i can go one way, then flip it, and drill it the rest.

Then I cut a piece of 5/16” thick steel, that I intend to weld onto the front of the torque arm, and drill a 1/2” hole through it

Then,....take that piece, run the bolt through the newly drilled out shaft, then through the 5/16” plate, then nut that bitch to the plate,....and......You guessed it.

I welded the piss out of it.

Now,......I got a crossmember with a centered bushing...and it’s back in place. After the shaft gets cool ( which took a really long time..because it was welded front and back.) i inserted the male member into the female receptacle...(It was a very tight fit...as it should be. I had to beat the male member into the female receptacle with a rubber.......mallet.);)

I place the torque arm main spar in place...The rear end now at my “ best guess” ride height,..and the pinion angle locked in place at 4* with a piece of aluminum plate. I “tack“ :banana:the main spar to the male member..then remove the main spar,...and....Weld the piss out of it. Then I reinforced that with big assed gussets..and plated that.

After it cooled...I cleaned it..I primed it...And said..Fck this place...and turned off the lights.

*edit..forgot the picture of my battered up crossmember
20201011_210208.jpg

There now..all better.
I know this is damn near a year old, but this might just be the funniest post on the interwebs.

I'm catching up on 6 years... Last thing I knew the Gila Monster was brown, or gold, or some, sort of color from my whitey-tighteys???

again
I know this is damn near a year old, but this might just be the funniest post on the interwebs.

I'm catching up on 6 years... Last thing I knew the Gila Monster was brown, or gold, or some, sort of color from my whitey-tighteys???
Dude….since 2016..
the Monster has always been orange.
Go back, look it up. You dogged me for not having the creative license to not do what I had already done before with regard to my color choice.

If I was to paint it tomorrow, it’s be the same freakin orange that it always has been.

“Brown, or gold or some…sort of color from your whitey tighty’s “…….
( which can only be brown or gold) :puke:
has never been in contention.

again

Dude….since 2016..
the Monster has always been orange.
Go back, look it up. You dogged me for not having the creative license to not do what I had already done before with regard to my color choice.

If I was to paint it tomorrow, it’s be the same freakin orange that it always has been.

“Brown, or gold or some…sort of color from your whitey tighty’s “…….
( which can only be brown or gold) :puke:
has never been in contention.
Don't confuse me with facts. I remember what I remember, and based on where I am in this thread, I can't check history because you deleted it.

Again, I try to bleed the clutch..This time I fab up a makeshift self bleeder hose in an attempt to get the air out of the throw out bearing ( if that in fact what the issue is).

Again I suck/pump almost an entire qt of brake fluid through that bearing..
I still have nothing..it still won’t go into gear. It feels like I have a good clutch pedal, it just won’t do crap.

All that’s left now is to wait till i get the real self bleeder hose and try this one last time..if that don’t work, i’m pulling the trans.

I do not understand what you replaced to make it not self bleed. The spring loaded constant ride throwout bearing and slave assembly? Been doing this a ton of years and do not really know what makes them self bleed. Whether it is the master cylinder or the slave. Either way you wish you had that part back ? What part?

I do not understand what you replaced to make it not self bleed. The spring loaded constant ride throwout bearing and slave assembly? Been doing this a ton of years and do not really know what makes them self bleed. Whether it is the master cylinder or the slave. Either way you wish you had that part back ? What part?
The factory inlet fitting on the 98 camaro is where the self bleeding capability occurs from my guess. It’s held in with a roll pin. The adapter fitting i used replaces that factory inlet with a -3 an fitting, so that a standard ptfe lined braided hose can be used instead of one that the factory would’ve used.

Okay great. You are still going to have to pump the holy sheet out of it to get it bled. Sounds like it bleeds as a factory setup bleeds. You just went with better parts that are in the same position. It should bleed like a 98 Camaro which means pump till morning.

I’ve almost convinced myself to remove the transmission.( I have to choke down things I dread for several days before attempting them).
In hindsight, when looking back at the initial install,..this was a bitch. For whatever reason the trans would not slide onto the mount pins…it had to be drawn close with bolts ,then something clicked, and it went in from there.

This adapter has an insert that fits inside a shoulder machined into the flywheel. Inside that shoulder is a needle pilot bearing…
Maybe the click I heard was that bearing getting pushed out of that insert?

drawing at straws now anyway, I won’t know anything until it’s out. I built a plate for the floor jack so the freakin thing won’t fall off.

I just have to talk myself into this

Reactions: 3 users