Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

I hope that thing isn't broken. The geometry has to be complicated to get the right pedal feel, throw, and angle correct. All the older cars I worked on had a threaded adjustment on the rod. That doesn't relate at all to this situation.
If it’s broken I hope to hell i find that out now rather than later.The pushrod is threaded. I’ve had to extend it to get it long enough to reach the mount tab.

Im thinking that the thing is supposed to move a certain amount to accommodate the swing arc of the mount as the clutch pedal moves it through its range of travel,..but in my recollection, I don’t remember it being so sloppy.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

So…I messed around with the MC a bit. It’s like the piston hasn’t returned to its full rearward position, which is why there is so much slop now with the pushrod. You can literally move it in/out against the retaining disc about an 1/8”. I also removed that retaining disc just to ck and see..( you’d think the piston would’ve pushed out when I did that….but it didn’t)

I ordered another one so that I’ll have it on Wednesday when I’m off next.If the one I have is defective, i’ll send that bitch back.

Reactions: 1 user
Additionally after even more investigation, the leg that actuated the MC is only 1-5/8” C to C. It was supposed to be 2”.
This time around, ( Since I now have the access to do it) I’ll make the proper reinforcement to the firewall, and angle the mount down slightly so that the pushrod will intersect with the lowered mount point when I extend the leg.

Sooner or later this freakin thing is gonna work.

Reactions: 5 users
417C9A78-FA2D-42A7-AB2D-EA64C3D85458_zpsgtggclty.jpg

5F46FB45-5184-4940-AFDD-65D8971CB44B_zpsskfl19hm.jpg

FDD449E9-D1FE-476D-920D-0654B837EB16_zpseosouotu.jpg

FD40DE82-43A9-49D8-A5E9-7C751FCE4181_zpsoqbuxoh3.jpg

462D4DEB-2AF4-41F8-BF2E-863887BE6A97_zpsi6zwpxrj.jpg

D15A2EDC-7362-4355-B1FC-89C303BAC46B_zpslfzw9diz.jpg

CAE6F9C4-B572-4C40-B1BE-3C4E85C334DA_zpswo46pe8p.jpg

784C8028-26D8-4A83-BC90-7F1F5A821A66_zpsvmrdqfgj.jpg

m
What a handsome couple! :D

• Drool
I called Wilwood as stated earlier. Described what was going on with the pushrod. He’d never heard of it, and wanted a short video so that he could show it to the other techs. When I went down there to video it, the freakin thing had went back to “normal” and the pushrod was being held firmly against the retaining disc.
Clearly, the piston inside the MC was stuck.
Now I gotta decide whether or not to replace that damn thing.

I called Wilwood as stated earlier. Described what was going on with the pushrod. He’d never heard of it, and wanted a short video so that he could show it to the other techs. When I went down there to video it, the freakin thing had went back to “normal” and the pushrod was being held firmly against the retaining disc.
The parts gremlin says -
It stuck = defective = warranty replacement.

That's the way it always goes.

I hate to say it, but you are looking at this reinforcement thing all wrong, or dare I say, over thinking it. You are trying to make the firewall rigid again. Now that's not going to hurt, but the only thing that matters is that the relationship between the pedal fulcrum and the master cylinder. Mock the pedal and master cylinder up, and bolt it to a solid piece of steel. The put that on the firewall. Preferably under the dash where it's less ugly. The firewall flexing a little is ok, as long as the master cylinder isn't changing it's relationship with the fulcrum.

Furthermore, I only wrote that because I want to know more about your ProCar seats. I do believe those are the "Evolution" models you have. It's the seat I want to replace my aging orginals with. Give me a review on those seats please.

Kurt

• Informative
That's the way it always goes.

I hate to say it, but you are looking at this reinforcement thing all wrong, or dare I say, over thinking it. You are trying to make the firewall rigid again. Now that's not going to hurt, but the only thing that matters is that the relationship between the pedal fulcrum and the master cylinder. Mock the pedal and master cylinder up, and bolt it to a solid piece of steel. The put that on the firewall. Preferably under the dash where it's less ugly. The firewall flexing a little is ok, as long as the master cylinder isn't changing it's relationship with the fulcrum.

Furthermore, I only wrote that because I want to know more about your ProCar seats. I do believe those are the "Evolution" models you have. It's the seat I want to replace my aging orginals with. Give me a review on those seats please.

Kurt
You really need to slow down and read the occasional sht I write. The Scat Pro car seats that were originally in the Monster were replaced in 2018 by a set of Recaro wannabe Corbeau cloth sports seats. Pro Car was “absorbed” by Summit racing.
1626747109897.jpeg

In hindsight, they were actually better built than these Corbeaus, ( since this is the second driver seat i’ve had that has broken down at the bottom seat bolster). But, there was no bottom seat cushion comfort for a long spell in the seat. The recline function was a rotary knob, which took a really long time to get it to tilt forward if you needed to get behind the seat.

You really need to slow down and read the occasional sht I write. The Scat Pro car seats that were originally in the Monster were replaced in 2018 by a set of Recaro wannabe Corbeau cloth sports seats. Pro Car was “absorbed” by Summit racing.
1626747109897.jpeg

In hindsight, they were actually better built than these Corbeaus, ( since this is the second driver seat i’ve had that has broken down at the bottom seat bolster). But, there was no bottom seat cushion comfort for a long spell in the seat. The recline function was a rotary knob, which took a really long time to get it to tilt forward if you needed to get behind the seat.
Sorry. Speed reading is what I do. Question still stands, and thank you for replying. I ended up with the ProCar seats, because it's the only reclinable seat I found that was pre cut for a 5 point harness. I have been told to watch out for seats with plastic recline parts, because they can fail ending in the seat slamming back against the roll bar. The lack of cushion is going to be an issue for me, because as my Mother in law put it, I have a case of gone ass.

Kurt

• Haha
Oh my God what a day!

I literally sat on my ass for 6 hours waiting for someone, something, anything to come in that front door.

I do not tolerate boredom…It drives me batsht. Having to sit there and wait for the 172k mile Honda Civic, 216k mile Suburban, or Hyundai Santa fe customer to come wandering in is gonna be the death of me. But nonetheless I sat ther..From 1 PM till 6:47 PM when I walked out with my head on fire.

We have an absolutely empty new car lot..Anything that gets sold for the next 45-60 days is gonna be the typical gravel lot “ buy here/ pay here” kinda slasher that I woulda never signed on to sell.

My brain is numb

Oh my God what a day!

I literally sat on my ass for 6 hours waiting for someone, something, anything to come in that front door.

I do not tolerate boredom…It drives me batsht. Having to sit there and wait for the 172k mile Honda Civic, 216k mile Suburban, or Hyundai Santa fe customer to come wandering in is gonna be the death of me. But nonetheless I sat ther..From 1 PM till 6:47 PM when I walked out with my head on fire.

We have an absolutely empty new car lot..Anything that gets sold for the next 45-60 days is gonna be the typical gravel lot “ buy here/ pay here” kinda slasher that I woulda never signed on to sell.

My brain is numb
I keep replaying your Nissan truck sale over and over in my head. Every day i want to plug in my VIN for my truck, as well as my wife’s ‘19 Cherokee with 13k miles , and see what they say............ but then I gotta deal with the other end of it if I sell. :thinking:

I keep replaying your Nissan truck sale over and over in my head. Every day i want to plug in my VIN for my truck, as well as my wife’s ‘19 Cherokee with 13k miles , and see what they say............ but then I gotta deal with the other end of it if I sell. :thinking:
The joy of rapid economic recovery. No one has anything to sell. We are 4000 guys short right now. Every flight is full. First flights leave at 5:20am, and there is no break until it's dark again. Hopefully things return to normal soon.

Kurt

The joy of rapid economic recovery. No one has anything to sell. We are 4000 guys short right now. Every flight is full. First flights leave at 5:20am, and there is no break until it's dark again. Hopefully things return to normal soon.

Kurt
Ridiculous that pilots, with all the responsibility you have, are treated like the rest of the “we don’t have enough help” working world. Stay safe my friend!

Ridiculous that pilots, with all the responsibility you have, are treated like the rest of the “we don’t have enough help” working world. Stay safe my friend!

Don't worry about me. I learned a long time ago, it's ok to say no. I also do not volunteer for over time. I don't need the money that bad.

Kurt

Kurt
My son is already private / instrument rated. He’s now maybe 3/4 way through commercial. Would you say his timing is right?