Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll be honest here, I had no idea what turbo flutter was or what it sounded like. But in my mind it just screamed that there would be something wrong if it fluttered, like a valve wasn't sealing or something. Getting rid of a BOV makes sense in that regard I guess. But after listening to some of that video and what it actually sounds like, I think it sounds like something is completely wrong with those cars. Maybe it's the "in" thing for turbo people just as the negative camber thing is for tuners. It's kinda ridiculous and not so good on parts. I don't understand why that would be considered cool unless you like spending money on stuff over and over again.......wait......nevermind..... :hide:
Well to be honest...the spooli-boys with the Mitsubishi lancers are not the best examples of that noise, given that on a good day there might be 200hp going on under those hoods..

Im thinking that this guy has always been my go to for the way a big turbo I6 on a sht ton of boost is supposed to sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well to be honest...the spooli-boys with the Mitsubishi lancers are not the best examples of that noise, given that on a good day there might be 200hp going on under those hoods..

Im thinking that this guy has always been my go to for the way a big turbo I6 on a sht ton of boost is supposed to sound.

Launching straight would work better than doing the Curly Shuffle. Besides a longer wheel base, what would help prevent sideways launches here? I have some ideas, but I am not sure how the car is set up, nor do I have experience driving with that much power, so far.

it’s not a barra engine in the vid lay person....it’s a sohc.

Barra’s are twin cam engines...( think 2v vs 4v).

I don't speak aussie, but I've had a bloomin' onion.

They drive on the wrong side of the road in the wrong side of the car.

I'm on board with you making turbo flutter noises during burnouts that you video.

• Haha
  • Drool
Reactions: 1 users
That 3amd is all up inside Mike's head right now. He's just not saying anything about it. It'll come out eventually....always does.

He may be trying to figure out how to mount all of those cameras to the car for a spectacular video of burn outs and turbo noises.

We need some new content, Mike. Not the kind that talks about how much your reserve is for this car or how far some dweeb is traveling with a trailer to pick it up.

Last edited:
That 3amd is all up inside Mike's head right now. He's just not saying anything about it. It'll come out eventually....always does.

He may be trying to figure out how to mount all of those cameras to the car for a spectacular video of burn outs and turbo noises.

We need some new content, Mike. Not the kind that talks about how much your reserve is for this car or how far some dweeb is traveling with a trailer to pick it up.
How well do you think you know me?...( fairly well it seems)

Yes, I spent part of yesterday piddling with various suction cup/ head band/ clamp style mounting options for the 4 cameras I intend to run simultaneously the next time I take the car out. Right now the plan for three of them are definite, with one suction mounted to the rear glass looking backwards, one suction cup mounted to the front of the LJK looking forward at the console/gauges, and one strapped to my forehead. The only angle still in contention is whether or not I have one clamped to the passenger side visor looking back at me to show my reactions, capture commentary, and show what it’s like trying to drive it now that it has to be “ driven”. ( probably unlikely though, As I won’t be able to drive with a box on my head)

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Well, they're mounted..now I'm waiting till Wed/Thursday ( whenever I'm off next) to try them out....
20210301_191207.jpg
20210301_191221.jpg
20210301_191154.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 7 users
Just an observation/opinion/suggestion - the Cyclone vinyl on your rear window should have a samurai mixed in with it now instead of just the angry face. ;)

And I'm curious how well the visor mounted camera will work given that the visor isn't really a solid attaching point. :shrug: I hope it does so we can get a glimpse of the :poo:eating grin you're bound to have on your face at some point during your exhibition. :D