Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Damn, man. Hope you get well soon! I had the worst headache of my life, lost taste and smell, and low grade fever. Felt like a bad case of the flu, but luckily never got into my chest. Slept pretty much 3/4 of every day, and out of work for 3 weeks!
2021 will be better!
....... sorry Mike.. carry on with the Monster thread!
I had it last December...evidently before it existed in the USA according to the CDC, WHO, and big news. I had the worst headache for 2 weeks...like ice picks behind my eyes. I had a dry cough for almost 1 month straight. My wife got it a few days after I did and had headaches and nasty cough for almost a month. Flu negative, but the dr said, it's probably just some virus, drink lots of fluids, take ibuprofen and mucinex and come back if it gets worse. Some virus indeed. Kung Flu...The Chinese Lie.

20201227_163456.jpg
20201227_163440.jpg

Well its in there..I think its way too far off center to the left. But ill drive it and see what it does..

I'm no suspension engineer, but I don't think it matters on a torque arm. The lowers transmit a lot of energy to the body and the panhard bar keeps it centered. It may see a bit of extra side loading, but I think you'll be ok. It's not like it's going to drive in a constant circle.

Either way, fire up the new GoPro and let us see what happens!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I had it last December...evidently before it existed in the USA according to the CDC, WHO, and big news. I had the worst headache for 2 weeks...like ice picks behind my eyes. I had a dry cough for almost 1 month straight. My wife got it a few days after I did and had headaches and nasty cough for almost a month. Flu negative, but the dr said, it's probably just some virus, drink lots of fluids, take ibuprofen and mucinex and come back if it gets worse. Some virus indeed. Kung Flu...The Chinese Lie.

I'm no suspension engineer, but I don't think it matters on a torque arm. The lowers transmit a lot of energy to the body and the panhard bar keeps it centered. It may see a bit of extra side loading, but I think you'll be ok. It's not like it's going to drive in a constant circle.

Either way, fire up the new GoPro and let us see what happens!
This is how I see the lift point on the torque arm.
the crossmember has a balance point that is equally weighted on both ends, the T/A lifts its weight equally. That force gets applied to the rear suspension equally as well. If the lift point on the crossmember is moved to one side or the other off center, then everything else comes down to how rigid the crossmember and ultimately the chassis is.
Remove the T/A from the equation for a second, and put a floor jack under the car on the crossmember at the center.
When you pump the jack, the car lifts equally.
Now, move the jack to where my new mount point is, put me in the driver seat, and have someone operate the jack.
Whats gonna happen ya think?
If the Monster wasn’t as heavily reinforced underneath with the SF connector system that I have, I’m saying the car would lift higher on the driver side...and potentially apply that lifting force diagonally instead of truly perpendicular. the Right rear tire would be weighted heavier than the other...

At least that’s how I see it.:cautious:

Now, if i was building a drag car, this seems like a sound idea, and if I had to say, the car is more of a drag car than an X cross, or road racer so maybe it’s all good, and maybe it’ll work great.

It also helps that..
20201227_163434.jpg

The car sits on three jack stands..( I’m able to remove the one that’s supposed to sit under the rear of the SF connector to take this pic)

I think I understand your thought process. My thought is yes, because of all that extra reinforcement, you don't have anything to worry about. I also see a possible solution if it somehow is.

Every car tries to rotate as viewed from the rear as it accelerates. You have coilovers and adjustable shocks, right? I think you can add preload and maybe stiffen a shock up to counter act the rotation. Also, with the huge huffer, unless you're at the prepped drag strip, I think you'll be traction limited and it's not going to make rat's bunion hole.

I think I understand your thought process. My thought is yes, because of all that extra reinforcement, you don't have anything to worry about. I also see a possible solution if it somehow is.

Every car tries to rotate as viewed from the rear as it accelerates. You have coilovers and adjustable shocks, right? I think you can add preload and maybe stiffen a shock up to counter act the rotation. Also, with the huge huffer, unless you're at the prepped drag strip, I think you'll be traction limited and it's not going to make rat's bunion hole.
It’s almost like i’m talking to myself here..

well mike only one way to find out.. :burnout:
I agree..If I have enough time on Friday ( depending on whether or not I actually have to work) Sunday could be a test beat day.
I tried to mock up the rear brakes, they will need spacers to get the caliper brackets where they need to be. There was evidence that the rotor was making contact with them before. I’m gonna cut about .060 off of the one side, and center them accordingly.
Once that’s done, and provided I can get the tailpipe over the axle to fit properly, AND provided it’s not cold or rainy..
AND Provided that I figure out the GoPro, and the other Chinee GoPro wannabe that I now have by then,...maybe there’ll be video.

Reactions: 1 user
( Im forced to sit here wanting a cup of coffee while Kate tries to sweep up spilled coffee grounds in the kitchen with a dumb assed Roomba. She’d have the mess cleaned up 10 times now had she just gotten out a broom and a dustpan,...but nope,...she just had to try out that future garage sale appliance. She wanted it,..I bought it for her. I’m guessing i’ll be sending it back.)

And To think..If she‘d just asked for a 1/2” Harbor freight cordless impact, she be so much more satisfied with that. If she had just asked for that, she‘d be able to snap her little arm right off in multiple places at a moments notice.

Instead, now she has something that crashes into sht, and then rages off in some other direction ignoring the actual mess until it gets stuck in the rug, or high centers itself on a table leg, and then bangs and clatters around until it frees itself.

Dumb assed thing.
This is your best rant ever. It was that fictionalized historical account of the II's design process until this, but now it's this. :nice:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It’s Sunday, seems like a fitting time for a Sunday update.

( Im forced to sit here wanting a cup of coffee while Kate tries to sweep up spilled coffee grounds in the kitchen with a dumb assed Roomba. She’d have the mess cleaned up 10 times now had she just gotten out a broom and a dustpan,...but nope,...she just had to try out that future garage sale appliance. She wanted it,..I bought it for her. I’m guessing i’ll be sending it back.)

And To think..If she‘d just asked for a 1/2” Harbor freight cordless impact, she be so much more satisfied with that. If she had just asked for that, she‘d be able to snap her little arm right off in multiple places at a moments notice.

Instead, now she has something that crashes into sht, and then rages off in some other direction ignoring the actual mess until it gets stuck in the rug, or high centers itself on a table leg, and then bangs and clatters around until it frees itself.

Dumb assed thing.
Our Roomba went to GoodWill a long time ago. It's good for getting under furniture that's too low for the vacuum cleaner, but other than that, it doesn't have much worth. We switched to the Dyson about 10 years ago, the DC41 animal I believe. I don't know that a vacuum is an appropriate gift though. As my wife puts it, you are buying a household appliance to do cleaning as if it's a gift. "Hey honey, why don't you clean more?" Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake. The Dyson is worth the money, because it's like a car. If the starter on your car dies, you buy a new starter, not a new car. Same goes for the Dyson, if the hose breaks, you buy a new hose, not a new vacuum. So for the $400 initial investment made a decade ago, I've replaced a few hoses, filters, and small parts (lots of well priced second source parts on Amazon), instead of buying seven $150 Vacuums from Walmart that don't work well either.

Kurt

• Haha
I also have a DC41 animal and have had the same experience....great vac. mines at least 15 yrs old at this point. Have needed to replace belts and a lost brush attachment, at this point it needs a beater bar as the one in it is getting niosey.

• Haha
I have to clearance the caliper bracket. :fuss:

Why they made that thing ride so tightly makes no sense to me..I’m sure that the interference I’m having now, and the obvious rubbing I was having before has to do with the slight mismatch i’ve created when welding the housing ends back on.

Im really getting tired of having to “ Do this because I did that”. Seems that no matter what I do, I can’t just bolt sht back on.

After I get the thing running this weekend, I’m going to have the top of the engine powder coated. There isn’t enough bling to make my eyes happy.
The old Monster engine was a menagerie of visual distraction, especially when the glass top box was sitting on top of the ITB’s. Between the raw aluminum, 6 throttle holes, copper paint, wrinkle black, and the “ what the hell is that thing”, I really liked the way that thing looked.
When I open the hood now...it’s kinda like...” Oh,...you have a six cylinder“.
And for me, that reaction rates a hard “No says the finger“.

So,...How do I fix that then?. ( One things for sure,...I ain’t putting BMW ITB’s with a glass top box on it)

I actually have four choices..
I can buy fabbed aluminum valve covers ( Stupid expensive, and Not particularly pretty).
I can strip, and polish ( or have them polished) the existing valve covers.
I can paint them a different color ( the worst of the choices)
or
I can have them powdercoated in some shiny chrome, copper, or bronze, and BUY the billet coil mount bracket.

I think I‘ll do that.

The problem with buying the bracket is that it’ll come from the guy that made the adapter plate for the trans...Not really to eager to give him anymore of my money.

On the vacuum topic, I bought the Amazon imitation Roomba last year. I call it DangerWillRobinson because it's like a toddler or a puppy. I have to prep for running it. Because no matter the amount of boxes I place under the couch, it goes under there and gets wrapped in the cords. Speaking of cords...lost a phone charger cord? Set this beotch loose and she will find it in less than 2 minutes. I will see it about to wrap up in a cord and kick it around in another direction or physically pick it up and move it and it will be like a toddler you said don't mess with that and be right back over to that spot. However, we replaced all carpet downstairs with vinyl plank or tile and it works great for that!

Not that it helps you, but my company is having built a conveyorized powder coating line. Number one, stupid expensive. Number two, regardless of persuasion, politicians are gaping empty soulless liars when it comes towards helping a small manufacturing company.

After I get the thing running this weekend, I’m going to have the top of the engine powder coated. There isn’t enough bling to make my eyes happy.
The old Monster engine was a menagerie of visual distraction, especially when the glass top box was sitting on top of the ITB’s. Between the raw aluminum, 6 throttle holes, copper paint, wrinkle black, and the “ what the hell is that thing”, I really liked the way that thing looked.
When I open the hood now...it’s kinda like...” Oh,...you have a six cylinder“.
And for me, that reaction rates a hard “No says the finger“.

So,...How do I fix that then?. ( One things for sure,...I ain’t putting BMW ITB’s with a glass top box on it)

I actually have four choices..
I can buy fabbed aluminum valve covers ( Stupid expensive, and Not particularly pretty).
I can strip, and polish ( or have them polished) the existing valve covers.
I can paint them a different color ( the worst of the choices)
or
I can have them powdercoated in some shiny chrome, copper, or bronze, and BUY the billet coil mount bracket.

I think I‘ll do that.

The problem with buying the bracket is that it’ll come from the guy that made the adapter plate for the trans...Not really to eager to give him anymore of my money.
Some Shiny Copper powder coating sounds pretty good to me

Now that's ct material right there, although the current one is hard to beat. But this is close.
It's just one way of looking at it. If you are your wife's second husband, you pretty much have an ex-husband as well, because you pay for all of their mistakes as well as your own.

Kurt

• Haha
Well...35 years ago I was married for one whole day, and back on my way to finish Basic Training at Ft.Sill OK. Happy with my choice, looking forward to being with her in a month when I was done, unsure of where they‘d put me when I became a “ regular army” soldier, knowing only that it would be somewhere in the US.
Today still happy w/ my choice, glad that the Army is a distant memory, able to testify that Ft. Sill, and Lawton Ok sucks, and Ft. Rucker/ Daleville Al. is only marginally better.
December is finally done. I ended the month with 23 cars sold. That put me #2 in the dealership for the month, behind by 2 from being #1. Selling 23 cars in any month is going to have a significant payday...probably in the range of 10-12k at least...If i’m being reflective, I only wish I had known about this 20 years ago.
Water under the bridge now,...I don’t have a rewind button anywhere.....I checked.

I got a pretty full drawer of HF cordless tools now in my HF rolling chest. Kate held onto the 1/2” impact that she had originally planned to give me for Christmas and gave it to me for our anniversary instead.
If Covid wasn’t raging, My cordless stash would probably be invested in a trip somewhere across an ocean as a “ present to us”, So in hindsight...I’ll just have to make due with a bunch of tools instead ;)

Sonic decided to actually close their stores today instead of being open the half day they originally had planned. That was so big of them to actually observe a holiday, instead of hoping they could squeeze in a few more sales by weeks end. :rolleyes:.
If the money that can be made here is a good thing, working retail hours is the price that you have to pay to get it.
Speaking of retail hours...I need to go get some washers from HD so that I can space the caliper bracket off enough to be able to put the brakes back on..I need to go to HF to spend the 100 gift card my Son’s girlfriend gave me for Christmas..

Maybe i’ll even work on the Monster. Who knows?

Reactions: 3 users