Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

Here is Sarasota they love Hondas. The dealer is packed every day with customers , us included many times. Do you think these Honda guys would make about the same money as yourself. Congrats on your sales. You make it sound easy , but it still is not for everybody.

• Sponsors (?)

Well...35 years ago I was married for one whole day, and back on my way to finish Basic Training at Ft.Sill OK. Happy with my choice, looking forward to being with her in a month when I was done, unsure of where they‘d put me when I became a “ regular army” soldier, knowing only that it would be somewhere in the US.
Today still happy w/ my choice, glad that the Army is a distant memory, able to testify that Ft. Sill, and Lawton Ok sucks, and Ft. Rucker/ Daleville Al. is only marginally better.
December is finally done. I ended the month with 23 cars sold. That put me #2 in the dealership for the month, behind by 2 from being #1. Selling 23 cars in any month is going to have a significant payday...probably in the range of 10-12k at least...If i’m being reflective, I only wish I had known about this 20 years ago.
Water under the bridge now,...I don’t have a rewind button anywhere.....I checked.

I got a pretty full drawer of HF cordless tools now in my HF rolling chest. Kate held onto the 1/2” impact that she had originally planned to give me for Christmas and gave it to me for our anniversary instead.
If Covid wasn’t raging, My cordless stash would probably be invested in a trip somewhere across an ocean as a “ present to us”, So in hindsight...I’ll just have to make due with a bunch of tools instead ;)

Sonic decided to actually close their stores today instead of being open the half day they originally had planned. That was so big of them to actually observe a holiday, instead of hoping they could squeeze in a few more sales by weeks end. :rolleyes:.
If the money that can be made here is a good thing, working retail hours is the price that you have to pay to get it.
Speaking of retail hours...I need to go get some washers from HD so that I can space the caliper bracket off enough to be able to put the brakes back on..I need to go to HF to spend the 100 gift card my Son’s girlfriend gave me for Christmas..

Maybe i’ll even work on the Monster. Who knows?
Just curious how many hours a week, on average, it takes to sell that many? Nice job, and happy new year!

Reactions: 1 user
It's just one way of looking at it. If you are your wife's second husband, you pretty much have an ex-husband as well, because you pay for all of their mistakes as well as your own.

Kurt
My wife's ex was like that; she tells me that he once got a paycheck made out to Doofus (inset last name here).

As a result, she expects me to be the same way he was, and there is a continuing stream of doubt and anger directed towards me when something doesn't work the way she expects it to work. I have been fixing computers for 42+ years and have a nice paycheck to prove that I am good at that skill. When the computer refuses to do it her way and I tell her to do it my way, she gets loud and angry and tells me that I am not listening to her. When I fix the problem, I don't even get an apology or a thank you; she is angry because I was right and didn't make a mess of things like her ex used to do,

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
My son just graduated AIT at Ft.Sill OK. He's on his way to S.Korea. Thank you for you service.

I got a weighted blanket for Christmas. That thing weighs 15lbs. I don't know how she's going to get rid of my body now when she kills me.... She'll find a way I'm sure.

My wife's ex was like that; she tells me that he once got a paycheck made out to Doofus (inset last name here).

As a result, she expects me to be the same way he was, and there is a continuing stream of doubt and anger directed towards me when something doesn't work the way she expects it to work. I have been fixing computers for 42+ years and have a nice paycheck to prove that I am good at that skill. When the computer refuses to do it her way and I tell her to do it my way, she gets loud and angry and tells me that I am not listening to her. When I fix the problem, I don't even get an apology or a thank you; she is angry because I was right and didn't make a mess of things like her ex used to do,
Thats it !!! Great explanation . Love the loud and angry with no apology

• Love
My son just graduated AIT at Ft.Sill OK. He's on his way to S.Korea. Thank you for you service.

I got a weighted blanket for Christmas. That thing weighs 15lbs. I don't know how she's going to get rid of my body now when she kills me.... She'll find a way I'm sure.
I’d be worried when she gets the matching Serta Memory Foam pillow from Menards. It weighs enough that she will not have to push much to hold it down to suffocate you. Or she could whomp you into the garden and not leave a mark. I have been on good behavior just in case since my wife got a monster pillow.

• Haha
Here is Sarasota they love Hondas. The dealer is packed every day with customers , us included many times. Do you think these Honda guys would make about the same money as yourself. Congrats on your sales. You make it sound easy , but it still is not for everybody.
It’s all a Sonic pay plan, but probably different dealerships pay differently. When you look at the want ads, most domestic and import dealers are advertising the pay scale range to work there between 36-60k annually. At the premium dealerships like mine, it’s more like 40-80. As for me, it’s actually more like 100k. Being in sales my whole life, and being a BMW Genius first for two years, has made it easier, but you’re right, it’s not for everybody. We have had several new hires come and go in the 5 years i’ve been here.
Just curious how many hours a week, on average, it takes to sell that many? Nice job, and happy new year!
it’s a 5 day work week. probably 45 hours on average.

Reactions: 2 users

I hate to break it to you, but your wife is right. You shouldn't have to have worked in IT for 42+ years to figure out your phone or your computer. It's not 1985, and software should be fully intuitive like Android used to be before they messed it all up. I actually do have a good marriage. Every once in awhile though, you will say or do something, and it strikes a nerve, and the wife gets upset with me due to negative transfer of a similar situation with our ex-husband.

Kurt

Well...35 years ago I was married for one whole day, and back on my way to finish Basic Training at Ft.Sill OK. Happy with my choice, looking forward to being with her in a month when I was done, unsure of where they‘d put me when I became a “ regular army” soldier, knowing only that it would be somewhere in the US.
Today still happy w/ my choice, glad that the Army is a distant memory, able to testify that Ft. Sill, and Lawton Ok sucks, and Ft. Rucker/ Daleville Al. is only marginally better.
December is finally done. I ended the month with 23 cars sold. That put me #2 in the dealership for the month, behind by 2 from being #1. Selling 23 cars in any month is going to have a significant payday...probably in the range of 10-12k at least...If i’m being reflective, I only wish I had known about this 20 years ago.
Water under the bridge now,...I don’t have a rewind button anywhere.....I checked.
Glad you are having an awesome sales month, and you are going to have money for car parts. It really astounding what you learn as you get older. I've done retail, and I was a good salesman. I wouldn't mind going back to that. It blows my mind that I have gone from $19.02/hr to $152.02/hr doing the EXACT same job over the last 15 years. Don't get wrapped up in those numbers by the way, that's credit hours, and we don't get paid like normal people. The best part about being a good salesman is that you can tell your supervisor where to stick it, and there is nothing he can do, because he/she needs you, and they know it.

Kurt

I worked on that damn car all day. If it wasn’t for the tail pipe, it’d be on the ground. But...since the tail pipe is a problem the car is still in the air. The tail pipe has always been a point of contention for me...kinda hacked in place, way too close to the fuel lines, touching the A2W return line...just being an overall pain in my ass.

So, I decided to redo it..But with the panhard bar in place now.....it’s.... just a little bit of a challenge now.
If that is what you’d call it.
Im calling it a giant pain in my ass.

I left it hanging. The brakes are mounted..I was able to get enough clearance on the caliper bracket to eliminate the interference that was happening before..I put the 1/4” spacer on, and put a wheel on to check for clearance,..I think I’m gonna be able to completely eliminate the spacer altogether and just bolt the wheel in place..No more rubby on the quarter.

After I get that pain in the dick tail pipe made, I’ll paint the Wheel skirts body color. ( I finally figured out what to call them)...Not flares, not spats,...not 3dimensional mud-flaps,.....They’re “skirts”.

The turbo’s been on for a week...it’s all down to a tail pipe...Then it’s on like a chicken wing..

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
For the first time in a few weeks, I get a visit from my buddy who never sleeps. Now that there is a upper mount bracket for the torque arm welded to the rear end, the mount tabs for the upper rod end makes contact with the rubber brake line hose at the top of the tunnel.

Who wants to volunteer the guess at what happens when a rubber hose makes contact with a piece of steel and the constant movement is introduced into the situation?

epositphotos_49476243-stock-photo-hard-crushed-car.jpg

It’s christmas tree removal day. After that, who knows? If i can get back down there, I’ll have to deal with the too close rubber brake line, hoping I can move the damn thing enough to clear that mount tab and not make contact with it. Then I’ll have to work on the exhaust, and get that tail pipe done.

Yea.:stupid:

• Hell Yeah!
I hate to break it to you, but your wife is right. You shouldn't have to have worked in IT for 42+ years to figure out your phone or your computer. It's not 1985, and software should be fully intuitive like Android used to be before they messed it all up. I actually do have a good marriage. Every once in awhile though, you will say or do something, and it strikes a nerve, and the wife gets upset with me due to negative transfer of a similar situation with our ex-husband.

Kurt
I do very little hardware repair, it is mostly software. The government agency I work for has specialized software to do the medical part and it isn't like any other software you have ever seen before. Every 18 months half of what I know is obsolete, which means that I have new things to learn to keep my job skills up to par,

I make less than you do, but I am considered essential personnel so I don't loose working time due to COVID19. Plus I work 5 days a week 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, no weird working hours and I get to go home and sleep in my own bed at night.

Last edited: