Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't actually hate the scoops you made... They carry the same boxy type design that the rest of the car follows suit with and don't look bad in my opinion. Once painted body color I think they would look even better

• Sponsors (?)

If the airflow out of the car, ( once it goes through the intercoolers, ) is greater than what can get in through the scoops/opening, then you could end up creating a negative pressure on the outlet side and thus help draw air in on the inlet side and thus increase airflow that might otherwise not naturally come into the scoop/opening.

isnt there some science or math or some other technical bs behind the shape and design of the nascar style air scoops also used throughout worldwide motorsports? Figure out a way to make em less obtrusive like those are and it'll work out great
They were designed by NACA, which later became NASA. Not sure that's the answer you were looking for, but there's your history lesson for today.
Has to do with "boudry layer air". That's the air right at the surface of an object that doesn't move. It's about an 1/8th to 1/4" thick. The moving air over that layer forces the air at the surface into and through the duct.

Last edited:
Backwards engineering: the exhaust air exits under the car, so most of the duct work is hidden. Therefore an extractor duct might be just the thing in this case.

How it works: if you know how a venturi works, you get the picture. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Basic plan:
Rectangular scoop duct under the car 12"x4 " narrows down to 12"x 2" and then opens up to 3". The 3" side has lower air pressure, so you have a 12"x 1 1/2" slot cut in it that pulls air from the shroud on the backside of the intercoolers. The dimensions are approximate, but they will give you an idea of what it looks like.
Use the exhaust on a shop vac to power the model for this gizmo, and you have a way to build one that fits in the space you have available.

Last edited:
The rear of that Torino/Falcon seems like the best logic. Obviously it works there, which is damn near the same location as you would have it on your car. I do really like your scoops, and think they add a custom element and a touch of "Mad Mike" to the car. What if you spent another 24 hours and shaped them kinda like this?

Mikesscoop2_zpsa98daa61.jpg

Or

Mikesscoop3_zps1276ebfc.jpg

I mean hell, I just spent 23 hours drawering those with my laptop mouse.

And the reference:

Simon_zps070167fd.jpg

Attachments

• Mikesscoop2_zpsa98daa61.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Simon_zps070167fd.jpg
    Simon_zps070167fd.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Mikesscoop3_zps1276ebfc.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
The rear of that Torino/Falcon seems like the best logic. Obviously it works there, which is damn near the same location as you would have it on your car. I do really like your scoops, and think they add a custom element and a touch of "Mad Mike" to the car. What if you spent another 24 hours and shaped them kinda like this?

Or

I mean hell, I just spent 23 hours drawering those with my laptop mouse.

And the reference:

Simon_zps070167fd.jpg
Admittedly, Your design would've looked better. (I did say would've). And if there was much left of the scoop to try and modify I might just have tried that.
But.
It's too late now, I did what I did not want to do, and cut a gi-honkin rectangular hole into the lower quarter to allow me to recess a "version" of an IMSA style scoop.
I was able to use part of the scoops that I made, so as to not completely throw away 3 days worth of work. I hope to hell these versions turn out better than the previous ones. I don't know if I can even get one roughed in, I am literally on fumes in the argon bottle, and the recessed scoop is actually gonna require welding into an area that was slathered with factory seam sealer.

Hmmmm, let's just create a mental picture shall we?

Me, laying my side attempting to TIG in the recessed scoop. ( a process that I'm barely comfortable with on a bench) All while trying to control the foot pedal, welding 18 ga. mild steel to galvanized steel .022 ga into an area that's bound to be fouled w/ the aforementioned seam sealer..............

Big fun.:nonono:

Attachments

• Mikesscoop2_zpsa98daa61.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Simon_zps070167fd.jpg
    Simon_zps070167fd.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 439
  • Mikesscoop3_zps1276ebfc.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 252
Something to talk about.

Whether it's better than the previous version(s), one side is roughed, and permanently attached. I actually dreaded doing something like this because I knew what it would be like to try and weld converging angles against a body panel. I started trying to do it with the TIG, but I had trouble focusing the heat on the panel that needed it. In the end, I bailed on the TIG and MIGGED it, simultaneously ending up making a mountain of extra work having to grind down the big assed welds.

I thought I could reuse part of the old scoops, but that was not to be. It took longer to make just one of these son of a bitches than it did to make the other two.

For better or worse, judge for yourself.

temporary_zps993d751e.jpg

temporary_zpsaedf9790.jpg

temporary_zpsbe4a8282.jpg

temporary_zps6e9166c5.jpg

The grille cover is mild steel BBQ grille. It's heavier than the aluminum stuff I pictured on the other scoop, but I can weld that stuff to the scoop, and be done, whereas w/ the aluminum, I'd still have to rig up some way to retain the grille.

I'm done rigging.....( At least for today)::nonono:

While it wasn't that hard to build it, it wasn't w/o it's challenges. The inlet ramp was the biggest pain in the ass to make. It crowns, rolls, and twists all at the same time.
I'm gonna take a break from the next one. While it still has to be the next thing I do to stay on track, I need to get the steel dust out of my eyes, nose, and mouth first.:shrug:

All-in-all I think they look better than the first attempt, and there's still enough of that thing hanging out there that I'm sure that air will get forced in there.

Attachments

• temporary_zpsaedf9790.jpg
    temporary_zpsaedf9790.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 219
  • temporary_zps993d751e.jpg
    temporary_zps993d751e.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 227
  • temporary_zps6e9166c5.jpg
    temporary_zps6e9166c5.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 249
  • temporary_zpsbe4a8282.jpg
    temporary_zpsbe4a8282.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: 3 users
I approve. Although my OCD can't decide if it is truly bothered that the top of the scoop doesn't line up with the body line just above it, or just tickled it enough to notice.

:D
I hear what you're saying, and I see that too. (That's why I'm not standing on a box blowing my "look at my cool new junk" horn).

The scoop itself does follow the body lines. Before the trim angles were installed, it was a perfect rectangle that matched the bottom seam, and the top body line exactly. Each piece of this thing was a "cut and weld", and was Tigged together before installation against the body. Those pieces that make up the top line, and bottom line mating surfaces were the last to be made, and consequently came as a oh well,...it is what it is after the fact. Had I widened the mouth, and narrowed the rear, the angles would've followed the body line instead of angling away. This is one of those things where having paid more attention in the higher level math classes might have been prudent. Bodywork and paint will be my friend here, as right now the floor, and the three inside surfaces of the opening is planned to be black, and the conflicting side angles, and the rolling ramp will be orange. So all the eye will see is that satin rectangular opening against the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.