Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Oh yeah.....And Dave...I need to talk to you @Davedacarpainter . I need to know the best way to strip these panels that wont damage them, and I've got an idea to make the mercury tail lights work....I need to go over my idea with you. If you get the time,..text me when I can call you to talk.
Is your phone number still the same?

And the exit interview......
I had to wait for my oldest to get off work so I could go get the two body parts. While that time ticked away,...I dealt with what I could .

I don't know what I was thinking, but there is no way in hell my big-assed radiator is gonna fit anywhere except where it currently lives....

That presents a problem for me....the car gets hot in traffic.

Back in 2014 right after installing my current fans I tested them. Testing them resulted in the cat getting half of her hair sucked off, and time started bending......( fortunately, I was able to turn them off before we were all put back in the Stone Age )
I cannot fit one of the shrouded fan systems on back of my radiator, they're all too deep. it was all I could do to get the two slimline fans I purchased mounted as it was....and they barely fit.

( Besides,......We're talking about me messing with the time/space continuum as it is.....I do think about these things ya know)

But my car runs hot in traffic.

So,....my hands are tied . I'm just gonna have to take my chances with the time /space thing, I need more cooling.

I added another fan.
IMAG0211_zpskiitkdnq.jpg

And because if one extra fan is good.....What the hell...I got two more with no place to go.
IMAG0209_zps2fchjrsu.jpg

Now there's 5 fans blowing and sucking....we aren't messing with time here anymore....I have my very own black hole generation device....Not even light will be able to escape when all 5 of these btches are humming.

All I'm saying is that you best get all of your personal details in order....cause when I flip the switch...the universe won't be the same.

The two fans mounted on the condensing unit are from the rear radiators that aren't there anymore.

IMAG0212_zps5dfirh5m.jpg

Now I Got these two big ass holes to try and deal with. I was thinking that I'd maybe turn them into the inner wheel tubs to act as brake cooling ducts,...but Really? Like I'm driving the car so aggressively that I need air blowing on the rear rotors....And that is if there is actually any actual air being scooped off the sides of the car in the first place.

I'm thinking they'll get blocked at the scoop inlet.

I sanded and painted the engine compartment again where I fcked it all up pulling the engine out.
IMAG0210_zpsi2upmjhb.jpg

Rattle can to the rescue. The booster had started to rust through the paint that was applied at the reman facility...I brushed on Rustoleum oil based flat black paint to cover that... " Stops rust" it say on the can...We'll see I guess.

I'm gonna put the engine back together with the transmission, and put the thing back in this week.. Hopefully now that the upper radiator saddle is remove able I can put the pair in together w/o trashing the bay again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Mike, I still think you will need shrouds of some sort.
The fans are "direct mount" and leave no air gap for a shroud to duct air to them. If They weren't attached directly to the face of the radiator, then a shroud would make a difference. If I had room to incorporate a shroud...(even a 1/2" stand off) I'd mount the one big one to it and be done.

How deep is the deepest fan on the engine side and what's the dimensions of the radiator. The main one in the engine bay...not the heater cores in or that used to be in the trunk?
The fans taper from the center.....Probably 2-2.5" at the center tapering down to about 1.25-1.375. The nose of the crank barely touches the big fan at its outer reaches....There simply is no room.

It's always a good thing when somebody does what they said they were gonna do.

The powder coating dude calls me today, and tells me my stuff is done....

He told me two weeks......its been two weeks. He told me 270.00..it was 270.00.

Even better is that for 270.00, he did 5 pieces....2 headers, a turbine housing, the merge pipe, and the charge tube.

It's all in a big heavy box,...maybe when I get home tonight, ill care enough to actually unwrap the pieces and look at them.

Reactions: 3 users
It's always a good thing when somebody does what they said they were gonna do.

The powder coating dude calls me today, and tells me my stuff is done....

He told me two weeks......its been two weeks. He told me 270.00..it was 270.00.

Even better is that for 270.00, he did 5 pieces....2 headers, a turbine housing, the merge pipe, and the charge tube.

It's all in a big heavy box,...maybe when I get home tonight, ill care enough to actually unwrap the pieces and look at them.
Care enough, lol.

It's christmas and the powder coater is santa! Open the son's of btches and take pictures for us!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I had this whole blathering " non-update" written this morning, but I forgot to submit it. So, it disappeared . No big deal really since it wasn't about sht anyway.
As for real updates, the engine is back in the car..but barely in a literal sense. It's just setting on its mounts, and there's a jack stand under the tail shaft of the trans. Not having the upper radiator saddle in place didn't do one bit of good in my opinion...
And since I can't mount the radiator in front of the saddle, cutting it out amounted to a giant waste of time.

Business as usual for me.

When I get to work on it next, things will go back fairly quickly...that is of course if I can figure out where the injector plugs go on its respective injector provided that they should be cut to length.
( Shouldnt matter ..this is a batch fire engine,..I think all of those injectors are spraying gas all the time anyway)

Mike that's going to matter when you do the ms3 upgrade... whole point of the ms3 is so you can go sequential injection. You may have to add a cam sensor to do that.
Yeah I know, and it's something that makes sense to do since it's obvious that I have cylinders that are fatter than others..
But if it requires a cam sensor, I'm screwulated...Firstly billet cam..requires a bronze gear on a distributor ( which I just happen to have). But am reluctant to use due to the wear tendency of a bronze gear. Secondly, I couldn't get a distributor in that remaining space if I had to....
imag0089_zpsdgdrvgy5-jpg.jpg

There's a support brace that's welded to the side cover living directly above that.

Very nice. I was worried when you put it up for sale that you were serious. And if you sold it, I would have one less excuse to sit right here in this chair and read about someone else doing work on their car and me not working on mine. Whew, I almost thought I was going to have to go out, yank the DS seat and swap the holley ECU's and wiring soon. Now thanks to @CarMichael Angelo I have a few more months of laziness to look forward to.

BTW, even if they don't fit right, those seats look better. I am sure you will get that squared away.
Just a uneducated, 'I'm stabbing in the dark' idea, is there a cam sensor that plugs into the distributor hole? Or is that just the rantings of a mad man?
Similar to a 5.0 explorer setup?

Joe
The distributor is different between the 6, and 8 cylinder engines with regard to the dimensions I'd imagine. Besides, even if it would fit, there's still that 8 cylinder/6 cylinder thing that would have to be dealt with.
Worse case scenario is I hack up a 6 banger distributor, switch the gears, install some kind of electronic ignition reluctor wheel where the points used to ride on, and stick that thing in there..

Sounds about like the same sht that I have to go through every single time I do something to this car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I am lost when it comes to the tuning stuff y'all do, but I believe the cam sensor in the Ford 5.0 and 3.0 stuff is just a magnet that picks up a vane each time it makes a full revolution. In theory, the computer would only need to know timing events to fire each cylinder based on where that vane is, the number of cylinders wouldn't matter to the vane or the magnet sensor. Of course this is all just a thought and I have no clue if it would actually work.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.