Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Mike I think a lot of what you're going to try and do is going to be great, but... I think you might have some real issues getting those tail lights to mesh with with the rear body lines on the Futura. The curves on the lenses really complement the roundness of the Mercury while the Futura is very angular. But if anyone can get a roundish peg to fit in a squarish hole and make it look good it will be you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

My time-travel skills are currently limited to single-speed and one-directional, so unless that changes, locks of Mike's hair seem mighty rare.

Hardy, har...........har. You guys r killing me.:rolleyes:

Dan since you obviously have photo shop skills, black the hood out for me, and delete the nostrils if you can...and you can make all the lack of hair jokes you want.

Are you changing the deck lid because the unused venting bothers you as well? Cause your current spoiler looks killer on your car. I may be the only one that thinks this way, but a rear spoiler compliments the lower front fascia. I think your current combo of the two is where its at. Same reason why my current GT rear spoiler needs to go in favor of a more rounded '93 Cobra style after my front bumper conversion.

Are you changing the deck lid because the unused venting bothers you as well? Cause your current spoiler looks killer on your car. I may be the only one that thinks this way, but a rear spoiler compliments the lower front fascia. I think your current combo of the two is where its at. Same reason why my current GT rear spoiler needs to go in favor of a more rounded '93 Cobra style after my front bumper conversion.

I really like the front and rear treatments I've done on this car. I'm really concerned that a wing and the tail lights will not look anywhere near as good as it does now. And once down the path of conversion, it'll be hard to convert back. The trunk deck is full of bondo from the warpage that came as a result of welding in the rear vent....( that is completely unnecessary now).

So, given that the two panels that are really loaded in plastic ( the hood, and the trunk) are both gonna change with the new look, they may as well start as clean, and straight.

Reactions: 1 user
A whole day spent in the garage today, and all I got done was dick.

This is the only new thing that I did.
IMAG0201_zps95uucwo4.jpg

Yes,...I cut the upper radiator saddle out. Getting the engine back in will not be a problem now.

But that isn't why I did it.

I cut that upper out because I'm moving the radiator forward in front of the saddle because I'm gonna put a much better shrouded cooling fan on the back of the radiator and there is no room for it as it is now..

So.......two birds with one stone.

But you gotta be thinking that that couldn't have taken all day....MOF cutting that saddle ( and the wires that were inside it) couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes tops.

You'd be right...and yep, I cut right the hell through the 5 head light wires that were inside that top tube.

So then...what took all freakin day Mike?

That one,.........stinkin,..........seat.

Try as I may, I could not make the seat sit down far enough by modifying the bracket alone. When I built the car, I added a 1x1 bar across the front seat mount to raise the front of the Scat seat high enough so that it wasn't "on the floor" so to speak.

Now, the Corbeau was already about 1-2" higher than the Scat, and this 1x1 was making it impossible to lower the new seat to a similar ride height that I had before.

So I had to cut out that bar...in a car with a full interior..with a hand held band saw.

Then modify,..and re modify,...and re modify the remodified bracket until I got the seat where I wanted it.

The seat was in and out of the car so many times, I was ready to throw it..

It's in now..annd it's still not where I want it. The front of that heavily bolstered set hits the tunnel,..it won't go anywhere other than where it is...and right now, .....it only fits me.

Ok, Mike, a few pics to ponder:
Gila Monster plain hood.png

Gila Monster black hood 1.png
Gila Monster black hood 3.png

Gila Monster black hood 2.png

And just because, another nice Mercury hood scoop.
'53 Monterey scoop.png

If you want me to chop in the '70 Cyclone lights, as a test, I probably can with the right photos, maybe with what's already available.
Dan since you obviously have photo shop skills, black the hood out for me, and delete the nostrils if you can...and you can make all the lack of hair jokes you want.
I just fiddle with GIMP sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, Mike, a few pics to ponder:
Gila Monster plain hood.png

Gila Monster black hood 1.png
Gila Monster black hood 3.png

Gila Monster black hood 2.png

And just because, another nice Mercury hood scoop.
'53 Monterey scoop.png

If you want me to chop in the '70 Cyclone lights, as a test, I probably can with the right photos, maybe with what's already available.

I just fiddle with GIMP sometimes.
Thanks for that...I now know that I don't really like anything except what I've done....
Maybe if it was all orange?

And god I love this car.....

Last edited:
Turbo, no turbo. Not working on it, adding new itb manifold. Turbo again. Selling it. Not selling it. Hides in a box, posts a self exposé video. Now this:

I'm just looking for the hidden cameras.

Carry on with the remodeling. I can't wait to see it.
None of that changes the fact that I love the car...especially after the third Jameson.

It's been said that Im a malcontent....
Hard to please, and easily bored...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.