Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I went downstairs last night to take a pic of the engine for another thread I was hamming it up in...i couldn't help but notice engine oil all over the valve cover at the rear around the base of the breather..

There's oil on the valve cover, and I didn't even get into much more than 2 pounds of boost...... :nonono:
It'll be a blood bath when I start laying into the thing.

It always happens at the rear breather. There's no significant baffle back there..I don't know if this is rocker arm splash that's getting pushed out with the crankcase pressure, or..I just have a stupid amount of blow by...still..

I'm gonna put a cap on it back there the next time the car goes out ( after I make sure to torque the lug nuts, and put the car up in the air and make sure nothing else is getting ready to fall off because I didn't bother to tighten it) I'll see if oil makes its way to the front breather then.

I can now predict what the fall has in store for this car...a .010 overbore, and a set of .040 4032 Pistons done by a competent machine shop. It has to be that...that machine shop that I used before just fcked up too many things to not suspect them.

Reactions: 1 users
100+ psi I would think is kinda high. I also think that even with all that oil fly'n around it would need some pressure to push it out the breather unless it is getting saturated and dripping out. I think you may find out when you cap it off and see what the breather does at the other end.
This, of course, is an opinion and not based on any real mechanical experience by the author.

Can you put a bigger pulley on the pump and slow it down some? That does seem kind of high. I would imagine to a certain extent higher pressure means higher volume. Maybe you're just pumping a :poo: ton of oil to the top of the engine. Have you tried getting one of those baffled grommets? I've seen em, but can't remember if I had them on the Buick when it was my DD. Of course with 510 ft lbs at idle and a 2.56 open rear, the main smoke was that one back tire begging for death.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
The oil pressure on the pump is adjustable. I tried a few times to call the mfg to get his thoughts, but he was either on the phone, or out.

The question is..how much is Right? If I turn down the pressure where I have 50-60 psi at rpm, what will it be at idle I wonder?

I'm thinking I'm gonna make sure I get hold of dude today for verification, but I'm gonna adjust the " hot idle pressure" to maybe 25-30 psi, and see what happens when the rpm climbs to 5k. My gauge only goes to 100, and the needle is pegged at anything over 3k rpm, and even when the engine is cold at 1500 rpm ...( I wonder what the oil pressure really is)

I don't know what excessive oil pressure has to do with blow by though...unless it's somehow throwing a buttload of it on the cylinders from crank rotation, because it's getting by the rod and main bearings.. :thinking:
Fck, ...I don't know. :shrug:

I do know that's it's been a constant problem with this engine since day 1, and the pump has been on the engine since day 1.

Does the old 10psi per 1k rpm still hold? Today's oils are much better than in 1968. I wonder if you have 100, 120, 150 psi, how much HP does it take to turn that pump? I'd try turning it down to 20psi hot idle.

Today I learned, that oil pressure, and oil control have nothing to do with each other.
It doesn't matter if I have a bagillion pounds of oil pressure, unless its somehow getting into the intake stream as a result of it.
But it aint.
Its blowing by the rings.
As far as adjusting the pressure down, it can be done, and the old school " 10 psi per thousand" rpm rule can still be used.
I also learned that adjusting high pressure has no impact on idle pressure...whatever this thing is gonna have for pressure at hit idle is gonna be it.

So then, I gotta rig up another crazy assed oil capture/return system where vented oil will go to, and create a baffle trap system to keep it from blowing out of that.
Now that I have that fitting in the pan, I have a way to get it back in the pan based on drain back...if there was only a place on the engine where I could vent the damn thing where there isnt a calamity of oil splashing around like there is in the valve cover.

Today I learned, that oil pressure, and oil control have nothing to do with each other.
It doesn't matter if I have a bagillion pounds of oil pressure, unless its somehow getting into the intake stream as a result of it.
But it aint.
Its blowing by the rings.
As far as adjusting the pressure down, it can be done, and the old school " 10 psi per thousand" rpm rule can still be used.
I also learned that adjusting high pressure has no impact on idle pressure...whatever this thing is gonna have for pressure at hit idle is gonna be it.

So then, I gotta rig up another crazy assed oil capture/return system where vented oil will go to, and create a baffle trap system to keep it from blowing out of that.
Now that I have that fitting in the pan, I have a way to get it back in the pan based on drain back...if there was only a place on the engine where I could vent the damn thing where there isnt a calamity of oil splashing around like there is in the valve cover.
Look at the bright side Mike, at least you're not having to paint anything! :D

OK...so, currently I'm not a long standing member of this particular community, nor do I have much of a first name basis with anyone on here, but I've been doing my best to contribute to the forums when I have time and hopefully, I've helped some people out, but, with that being said, I haven't posted anything in over a week. Do you have any idea how long it takes to just scan almost 500 pages of posts? I came across this thread and immediately was enthralled by this incredible build and the unbelievable quality and innovation of your ideas and execution. All I could do was basically look on with my mouth hanging open and literally go to the next page to see more progress, more fantastic ideas, more terrific workmanship, and more excellent commentary and videos.

The ONLY thing I can say, and do it without any fear of contradiction, is BRAVO for your unending pursuit of something so incredibly cool and truly innovative.

Retrace you steps and read the post I made in this thread about "cyclonic separator" #8,402.
The more blow by you have, the better it works; it's the pressure that makes the cyclonic action work. The more pressure difference between the cyclonic separator input and the output, the greater the cyclonic action works. That spinning motion induced into the air stream is what makes the oil and moisture separate out from the airstream.

Last edited:
  • Love
OK...so, currently I'm not a long standing member of this particular community, nor do I have much of a first name basis with anyone on here, but I've been doing my best to contribute to the forums when I have time and hopefully, I've helped some people out, but, with that being said, I haven't posted anything in over a week. Do you have any idea how long it takes to just scan almost 500 pages of posts? I came across this thread and immediately was enthralled by this incredible build and the unbelievable quality and innovation of your ideas and execution. All I could do was basically look on with my mouth hanging open and literally go to the next page to see more progress, more fantastic ideas, more terrific workmanship, and more excellent commentary and videos.

The ONLY thing I can say, and do it without any fear of contradiction, is BRAVO for your unending pursuit of something so incredibly cool and truly innovative.
Thanks John...I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to scan over the thread. I'm glad you liked it.

I'll be here all week.

Retrace you steps and read the post I made in this thread about "cyclonic separator" #8,402.
The more blow by you have, the better it works; it's the pressure that makes the cyclonic action work. The more pressure difference between the cyclonic separator input and the output, the greater the cyclonic action works. That spinning motion induced into the air stream is what makes the oil and moisture separate out from the airstream.
And I appreciate the offer joe...I need to keep it simple. Tomorrow is Sunday and I want to take a " Sunday drive".
I'm building " Mikes puke tank with a drain" v 3.0.

On on that note.....

Hello my Homelies...it's Saturday night, I'm listening to the best album ever made,...I'm sitting in the kitchen of the best house we've ever had, eating cheese, and drinking the freakin best tequila ever....straight, and neat......with no freakin :taco: lime or salt to chase it.

You get to guess... ( and no stupid sht guesses.....I have a very refined palate on all facets......." I'm like a diamond":banana:)

What would I call the best album ever made, and what is the best tequila ever made?

Now,......With regard to why you actually follow this thread, ......I drove the car today.

While it saw 5+ psi of boost, I didn't beat the car...( I had to make sure a wheel wouldn't decide to fall off ). The objective was to see if the freakin Ghost of blow by past would enter the room and drag some chains around.

Ooh yeah,......He drug some chains alright.....I could smell burning oil coming off the exhaust....
I knew there was gonna be an environmental disaster under the hood when I got back home.

Exxon don't got sht on me when it comes to oil spills.

I talked to my oil pump supplier...he thinks my pump pulley is too small for my engine...he suggested that I try and adjust the max pressure to see how far I could reduce it...( I can get it to 80 psi max hot at rpm) .......Pffft.....so much for him saying the monster couldn't handle his weanie assed SBC pump.

So I lift the hood, and there is wet oil everywhere....I was tempted to deploy those little floaty dudes that they use when an oil tanker runs aground....I was looking around for wildlife that I may have coated in oil...and just when I think I've gotten away without the EPA calling me up,....the cat runs under the car as soon as I open the door to the basement.
Next thing I know there's this gagging and flopping noise coming out from under the car......

Sure enough....the cats contamininated......his poor little orange bottom is covered in Oreillys syn 10/30... I try to grab him, but Everytime I get a hold of him, he squirts out of my hands...since he's covered in oil, he can't do what cats do, and land on four feet,..so Everytime he squirts out of my hands, he just hits the floor like cadaver cat...kinda makes a un nerving " thunk" noise, followed immediately by a low howl....clearly...the cat is not happy.

I resign myself to just pinning the cat cat against the pavement while I drizzle blue Dawn dishwashing soap all over him. The next dilemma being that the hose spigot is 30 feet away.....That leaves me no choice but to try and come up with a slip knot with my right hand, while holding an oily, slimy, sudsy :taco: with the other.

The only thing within reach is some 18 gauge wire...I employ my old Boy Scout teachin, and deftly tie a slip knot, loop that wire around the cats neck, tie the other end around the end of my welding table leg, and turn loose of that slippery mess, so I can dash over to the spigot and turn on the water so I can hose that slimy, slippery :taco: down.

As fate would have it, and considering that cats will be cats...slimy p makes a bee line for green pastures....he gets about 20 feet before he runs out of wire..the slip knot I tied around his neck immediately tightens to 3 sizes smaller than his neck, and the cat passes out dead... I scream Noo!!!and run back to him...I listen for a heart beat,....nothing...I look at his chest.....it ain't moving.........nothing left to do but give him man mouth to cat mouth resuscitation....

Miraculously,........he spits and chokes to life.

Since he's barely alive,mi take advantage of that, and I grab the hose. Turn on the nozzle, and just turn him into a comatose suds a palooza.......But the cold water snaps him back to life.

I can't hold him.. The combination of wet, soapy, sudsy, and oily are just too much for me.....he slips his noose and rages off into the woods.......foamy suds flyin off his ass as he runs away.

Which leaves me tonight beggin......

Reg!!!!...come back Reg!

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.