Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Saw this headline today and laughed.

mujejyvy.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
more progress.......

So.

My son buys this GT in like August of last year. He sends me pics. It is the rustiest Mustang I've ever seen. I advise/tell/forbid him not to buy it.
He does anyway.
The car is Junk. The front subframe is so rusted it's cracked in front of the strut towers. The rest of the passenger floor has disintegrated from the front to the rear. It is a total loss.

Luckily, he only paid 500.oo for it.

We manage to sell off all of the GT stuff, the trim; the engine; the interior, and the wheels and tires. He manages to make money.
The rest of the car lays in wait for it's inevitable final meet w/ the shredder. But,.....I got it here so I use what's left.

What's left you ask?

Tailights, and the panel they mount to.

My fairmont got delivered to me minus the tail lights. Evidently, they fell off the car between Arizona, and here. When the delivery guy pulled up, this was all I had for tail lights:
b5nx.jpg

Fairmont Futura tail lights are obsolete, and irreplaceable. The ones you may find out there are potentially just as bad as the ones you are trying to replace.
Originally, I purchased a set of 67 Cougar tails off of ebay. What I got was one lenses that was shattered, and the other was barely better. Since they were the same as a 67 Shelby, the lens was replaceable, but the problem with using them was that they tapered. If there was ever a more squarer rear end, it was this car, and trying to integrate a set of tapered tail lights into that rear end has been a stalling point for me.

Until today.

I'm looking at the poor old GT, waiting on the day of it's eventual demise, and I get to thinking,........"I wonder if i can make those tail lights fit the fairmont"

I get out the Sawzall, and the cutoff wheel.
temporary_zps7082dd96.jpg

Then I put the blades on the G monster.

temporary_zps50622de2.jpg

And graft the mustang tails in one side at a time until I get them close enough to tack.
temporary_zps36befd37.jpg

Now admittedly they are far away from being right. A Fairmont body looks to be about 3-4 inches wider than a Mustang, as evidenced by the gap that used to meet on the 'stang.

But it's close enough for me to make it work. And it'll definitely work on this boxy assed car.

The lenses are in need of replacement, so all the better,...I'll replace them w/ 84 SVO lenses.
As for the rest of the rear, and the blending of the rest of the sheet metal,..I gotta mile to go. But I just managed to jump another mile ahead with this last mod.
Look at how far the pump will hang beneath the bumper,.....That is a no-go......I'll have to move it up another 2".

Reactions: 1 users
If the early 80's replacement lenses were available, I'd consider them. I just didn't see that as an option on LRS' website.

On second thought, I actually do not want the 80's style light for that very reason. Too much like the stock factory look. I like the look of the 84 SVO lens w/ the black lines in them, and the amber TS. Gotta have an amber TS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If the early 80's replacement lenses were available, I'd consider them. I just didn't see that as an option on LRS' website.

On second thought, I actually do not want the 80's style light for that very reason. Too much like the stock factory look. I like the look of the 84 SVO lens w/ the black lines in them, and the amber TS. Gotta have an amber TS.
on that note, I concur!

I have a few sets in my storage unit just waiting for the right buyer...:nice:

Status
Not open for further replies.