1979-1993 5.0 Mustang what is it?

• Sponsors (?)

the mustang is a pony car beacuse it's small with a big engine. on the other side, a camaro is called a muscle car because it isnt considered small but still has a big engine (the camaro is small compared to a GTO, so its all what you consider big or small)

a sports car is a rwd, usually 2 seated performance oriented vehicle. lightweight, powerful, expensive, and excellent handling. for example corvette, 300zx, supra, etc

sport coupe/compact is the FWD sporty models out there

i sat pony ...muscle dosent fit it and it dosent fit a camaro either...muscle was the term in the late 60's early 70's when it was all about power and torque cars are no longer built that way there is no modern muscle really.... a corvette i would consider a sport coupe and a viper and the such i say a form of exotic

i sat pony ...muscle dosent fit it and it dosent fit a camaro either...muscle was the term in the late 60's early 70's when it was all about power and torque cars are no longer built that way there is no modern muscle really.... a corvette i would consider a sport coupe and a viper and the such i say a form of exotic

shows what you know, read closely, you might learn something. the modern v8's are pumping out just as much if not more power than the vehicles during the muscle wars, and they are getting 18mpg. besides I hate the word pony, it sounds so ghey, especially when applied to anything other than a mustang. when I had my 71 t/a and 00 camaro, if someone called it a pony car they were getting bitch slapped.

back to the original question. I say muscle. a sports car is as said: a two seater built around handling then performance

IMO ... Up till 93 mustangs were muscle cars ... but then when the sn95 came around, they turned into sports cars ... just how i see it ... thats one of the reasons i got a fox and not an sn95 5.0, i wanted that old school look.

The term Ponycar was to describe a small car with a longer hood/nose with a short trunk area. Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, there are tons that were included in this category but the two that stick out most are the Mustang and Camaro.

I just call them all Fox Bodies :shrug: A muscle car to me doesnt have emissions, or alot of creature comforts. It was built to race, and look menacing. thats it.

http://www.powerpassion.nl/mustang/story-engels.html

It was really something special. Therefore this Ford was called "Pony Car". Not bound to rank or class, nearly everyone felt attracted to it. Simply ... for the normal people. The Mustang was advertised as "the car to be designed by you".

Camaro's, TA's and other things built to compete in the market were also called Pony cars. There is nothing wrong with that term. An orange is a fruit, a Camaro/TA/Mustang is a Pony car.

"Muscle Car" is a late 60's and early 70's term to describe those high horsepowered cars from every maker.

Sports car is just that, a sport car. If it's raced it's a sports car.

The 79-93 Mustang is all (sports/pony) but a muscle car. I don't think 180-225 hp counts for that. Newer GTO's, Vettes, Mustangs could be called muscle car but really that was used to describe an era... Not a type of car.

shows what you know, read closely, you might learn something. the modern v8's are pumping out just as much if not more power than the vehicles during the muscle wars, and they are getting 18mpg. besides I hate the word pony, it sounds so ghey, especially when applied to anything other than a mustang. when I had my 71 t/a and 00 camaro, if someone called it a pony car they were getting bitch slapped.

back to the original question. I say muscle. a sports car is as said: a two seater built around handling then performance

apparently you dont know anything either, because you are offering what you THINK not what is FACT

the mustang is a PONY CAR, plain and simple. this term is used to describe a 4-seat long hood short rear deck coupe-style car with a sporty character. power is meaningless, but most of the higher end pony cars sport big power. the mustang created this class of cars in 1964 and the camaro/firebird (1967/1968), challenger (1970) and 2nd gen barracuda (1970) were created to compete with it. the mustang and the new camaro and challenger are all PONY CARS

a muscle car was generally a full or mid-size car with big power and few options. some older muscle cars gained more options but the epitome of a muscle car: 1969 Dodge Super Bee: big car, big block power, zero options. a modern muscle car: Pontiac GTO, but only because of the big size and big power. true muscle cars really arent built anymore, everything that was once an option has become standard issue

a sports car is usually a low slung 2-seater (sometimes a 2+2) that often handles better than it goes straight. recent true sports cars include 300ZX/350Z, Corvette, RX7/8

of course some cars blur these lines a bit, but thats the general terminology.

if you dont like it, sorry...but thats the way it is.

Insurance calls it a "sports car" but it really is a Pony car. I understand why some call it a muscle car, it sort of drives like one minus the weight and size...