1983 2wd Ranger.
2.3L, 5Speed
Bad cam, smokes, carone barrel carb thats junk
cost $75

Bought a 79 2.3L Turbo from a 5 speed mustang
Missing exhuast manifold, croos over pipe and down pipe
Otherways complete.
Cost $60

Got a couple questions before I start. I can get my cross over pipe and downpipe from autozone, and splice in infront fo the cat 9 to keep legal) Will my exhuast manifold work, or is the turbo one differant. ( 79 stang turbo mount sin intake, not exhuast manifold) Also, ALL of the vaccum lines are either dry rotted, missing, or CUT... I need to figure out which ones I actualy need, and which I can plug off. Innercooler???? does this eninge require one, its got a factory oil cooler, at the filter... and Im not big in the turbo world so I have NO idea whats going on. There is also a round object with a rod, that runs off of vaccum, it opens a flat in the turbo. Small line is hooked up, but there is a bigger 3/8? line thats cut, where does it go? Please help, turbos are NOt my specialy... if its got a transfercase, that sone thing, not this is a new ballgame for me

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like quite the project.
Personally, I wouldn't even mess with the carb turbo engine. It only makes 6psi stock and isn't much of a power house at 135hp. :( But if you insist....
I'm sure the turbo manifold will be different, but if you found a picture to reference, you could probably figure it out yourself.
???? does this eninge require one
That engine doesn't have an intercooler, and it would be nearly impossible to put one on. No need for it anyway.
ALL of the vaccum lines are either dry rotted, missing, or CUT... I need to figure out which ones I actualy need, and which I can plug off
You'll have to find a vacume diagram on the net or in a shop manual. I don't think anyone here knows the vacume diagram off the top of their heads. lol
There is also a round object with a rod, that runs off of vaccum, it opens a flat in the turbo.
Thats the wastegate. It controls how much boost the turbo is allowed to build.

you will need the trany out of the ranger and the bell housing. It will bolt up. The mustang t5 wont fir without cutting your seats (if you have a bench). I would have rather found a turbo coupe for the donor. Bhuff is correct that cvarbed turbos are a pain.

lol

Im not building this for performance gian. Its being done becuase I bought the engine cheap. Im not going to spend the time nor the money on a efi swap, and redoing wires, If I was to do that id got to a efi 302.

Where should the 3/8? line on the westgate hook too?

y wouldn't he do it? he got the motor cheap, the one he has now is junk. they both are carbed so its not going to any kind of a super hard or expensive swap. And considering you have to cut the firewall to install a 302.....

Your best bet, would be to go and buy a shop manual from the ranger and buy one for the mustang. That will have all the wiring diagrams, not to mention the vacume stuff, and it will help alot when your trying to tune up the carb motor, and you'll be sure that way you have everything wired up right.

Im biddin on a book for the stang now on ebay... everyhting but the vaccum and exhuast is done and ready to go... I put the engine down in tonight, all of the wires are the same, The 83 ranger had a 78 engine in it, so nothing at all is differant besides the fact theres a turbo bolted on the side. The book from ebay should get ym vaccum stuff covered. This thing will be on the street soon.

Tommorrow im going to hook the ranger exhuast to the manifold so I can pass inspection. This truck has a slavage title, once it passes, its goign to an exhuast shop and im having the croos ove rpipe made, and a 2 1/2 exhuast with bullit muffler stuck on, with no catconverter.

Willy0314 said:
isn't a cross over pipe only on a v8? what are you going to use to control the timing?
a distributer ;)
This is the less popular carb-turbo 2.3. The turbo is located on the passanger side, right next to the intake and carb. The exhaust ports are on the passanger side, so the cross over pipe goes under the engine and to the turbo.
Your 79 turbo engine got forged 9:1 pistons which are an improvement over NA cast pistons. They will be perfectly fine for you, but for people that like to make lots of power, they will start breaking ringlands.

Like siad the distributor is vaccum advance, same as my 83ranger. no wires at all are differant.

The big vaccum line on the actualtor, could that be for the power brakes? It is the same size line, and I see no place else to hook into for it.

Anyoen ahve a old actulator laying around? I was a dumbfawk and there was a muddobber nest in one of the ports... I blew it out and blew the rubber boot while at it... kinda stupid of me... probably a 75 dollar part at the store...