Fox 1979 mustang cobra. (4cyltl turbo)

1gr8guy

Mar 16, 2019
Cali
Hi...anyone know what I can get for a 1979 mustang 4cyl turbo cobra. I don’t know much about that style of car. It’s complete with low miles (10k) but it does need to be cleaned up because it has been sitting in a backyard. No major rust problems .the engine turns on but it will need a new steering wheel pump and probably other things redone. Let me know if anyone has any idea on the valu. I know it’s hard to guess the value without pics but I’ll try to post some in the near future.
7E1C1234-6FEB-4610-9BE2-FFAE84AAE7C8.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you have documentation to prove the 10k miles, because the value between 10k and 110k miles will be considerable.

Regardless, the fact it sat so long and needs work won't help it's value much.

The body alone is worth money as a project car. I'm not sue how many people would want to restore that as original. But there's many people would pull the 4cyl drive train and swap in a V8 platfowm of sorts.

Do you have documentation to prove the 10k miles, because the value between 10k and 110k miles will be considerable.

The body alone is worth money as a project car. I'm not sue how many people would want to restore that as original. But there's many people would pull the 4cyl drive train and swap in a V8 platfowm of sorts.

Thanks for the response !
I don’t know much about swaps and other stuff like that , I guess I can put it on eBay or some other site and see what I get for it . Thanks again !

I don’t have documentation and I know what you mean about needing it so I guess I can tell “buyer he beware.” The guy I bought it from inherited it from his uncle who passed away and the car looks very clean from the inside with all original components in clean cosmdition but I know that’s not enough and the engine also looks clean with ford manufacturer stickers still on engine but it has sat for a while. Thanks again, for your response !

The damage on the car will hurt value. Especially, that dent in the quarter panel. The nose also looks replaced.

If someone brought one to me...in that condition...I wouldnt pay more than 1k for it running. Non running maybe 7- 8 hundred.

The damage on the car will hurt value. Especially, that dent in the quarter panel. The nose also looks replaced.

If someone brought one to me...in that condition...I wouldnt pay more than 1k for it running. Non running maybe 7- 8 hundred.

Ok thanks for the info. I have no idea of the value so this gives me a starting point. I don’t know much about mustangs and thought this was worth something. Again, thanks for your response!

It is the first foxbody...and the first foxbody turbo 4. There is some value there. The issue is the condition of the car. Someone will buy it and save it....but itll take a bunch of money to do so.

That does look like a real Cobra. Someone may be willing to pay more. There's a guy with one for sale locally for 2500. It does not run and has rust and paint issues. His car has lived a hard life and is also turbo 4. With the prices steadily going up you may end up getting a decent amount of pocket change for that car.

It is the first foxbody...and the first foxbody turbo 4. There is some value there. The issue is the condition of the car. Someone will buy it and save it....but itll take a bunch of money to do so.

That does look like a real Cobra. Someone may be willing to pay more. There's a guy with one for sale locally for 2500. It does not run and has rust and paint issues. His car has lived a hard life and is also turbo 4. With the prices steadily going up you may end up getting a decent amount of pocket change for that car.

Thanks for the info ...I have no idea of the value and will list it for sale hoping to get at least something for it. Not looking to break the bank but I didn’t want to give it away either!

It looks like it's in pretty decent condition, aside from the nose rust and a few other parts. In all honesty, you could probably pull that quarter panel dent with hot water and a plunger if it has no paint damage/scratches there, works sometimes. Rollers and non-running fox bodies are worth a decent bit, I see a few around me on the Facebook marketplace. Looking at one now, it runs and it's selling for $1,600, but then again it also has 137xxx miles, big difference. There's a 91 with 300 miles selling for $11,000, and it's a roller. So it really depends on location, condition, etc. I'd say you could get a few thousand for it at the very least. But talk to some mustang clubs like a previous guy said, they'd know more.

It looks like it's in pretty decent condition, aside from the nose rust and a few other parts. In all honesty, you could probably pull that quarter panel dent with hot water and a plunger if it has no paint damage/scratches there, works sometimes. Rollers and non-running fox bodies are worth a decent bit, I see a few around me on the Facebook marketplace. Looking at one now, it runs and it's selling for $1,600, but then again it also has 137xxx miles, big difference. There's a 91 with 300 miles selling for $11,000, and it's a roller. So it really depends on location, condition, etc. I'd say you could get a few thousand for it at the very least. But talk to some mustang clubs like a previous guy said, they'd know more.

Ok...sounds good...I’ll ask around and see what I can get for it cause I don’t have the money to put into it ....and it’s just taking up space in my backyard. It is covered but I don’t want it to just sit there ....

Reactions: 1 user

Incorrect.

Fairmont is the first fox body...(1978).

Reactions: 1 user
I mean...if it's taking up space and that's your concern, I'll take it for free ;)
Haha kidding, but good luck man.
...lol...
I have four other cars that I have been trying to fix up and haven’t been able to because of the money thing. So my backyard is full of projects and adding one more has the wife a little annoyed ....lol....but thanks for asking....not looking to make a lot just something fair ....0

Incorrect.

Fairmont is the first fox body...(1978).
All the factory stickers are still on the car and they all say it is a 4cyl turbo cobra and I checked the vin number and it matches the factory codes for a 4cyl turbo cobra ....so Ibelieve with cerrantuy it is...also the turbo light turns on in the dash when the car is being started ...so all indications are there that it probably is a turbo cobra