1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

• Sponsors (?)

And I'm back. Bought a new house and didn't realize it'd take so long to get all my junk moved and put away!

Since starting back on the car I've been focusing on the turbo hotside. I spent some time yesterday evening working on the crossover and adding the wastegate (which i conveniently forgot to snap a pic of).

IMG_20180719_162340.jpg
IMG_20180719_162402.jpg

I'm still getting the hang of tig welding. Welds aren't very pretty but they're stuck together for sure. The bellow flex joint is stainless and the rest is mild steel (used 309L filler for that transition). Not pictured is the wastegate added in on the inside of the Y.

Reactions: 5 users
Im keeping up with your build man. I like to see different types of things going on here. We also just got a new house. Thought I'd be down a week or two.... it's been atleast 3 so far... no real end in clear sight.

Good to see that you're back at it again !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Ms3 all the way. It will do everything you need and everything you can think of and then some. It even has long term trim tables just like an oem ECU for after your done tuning...
If there is something you want to do megasquirt can do it, period.

The Holley stuff is really nice as well, but I dont like the way the software locks away a lot of the tables and such so you can't alter them.... I'm a let me adjust it all kind of guy.

Reactions: 1 users
Ms3 all the way. It will do everything you need and everything you can think of and then some. It even has long term trim tables just like an oem ECU for after your done tuning...
If there is something you want to do megasquirt can do it, period.

The Holley stuff is really nice as well, but I dont like the way the software locks away a lot of the tables and such so you can't alter them.... I'm a let me adjust it all kind of guy.
What he means is he's a control freak

• Haha
Megasquirt, man !!!

I've got it and love it. Steve's got your back, you have nothing to worry about on that end.

I bought mspnp2....its good but ms3 is a lot gooder.

also @a91what
From the looks of it the MS3 with the expansion card is my best bet. Thoughts?
Yes, this will give you so much versatility it's crazy. Also reasonably priced.

I have a very heavily modified ms2... to get a fraction of what the ms3 can do.

Look at the spartan2 for the wideband best bang for the buck by far.

Yes, this will give you so much versatility it's crazy. Also reasonably priced.

I have a very heavily modified ms2... to get a fraction of what the ms3 can do.

Look at the spartan2 for the wideband best bang for the buck by far.
Sounds like a plan! I need to get my upper intake sorted (built :eek:) first though haha.

Yup I know all about that, link to my thread in my sig. Custom supercharger build.
I've been making my way through your build thread. It's made for some good reading.

I built the hot side in mild steel, I knew I could melt it all together with mig if I couldn't get the hand of TIG (also i don't have the setup to backpurge stainless and don't want to worry about the sugaring to kill my turbo). When it came time to order the pipe for the downpipe I ended up getting a generic 3" exhaust kit in 304 stainless. $240 for 8 feet of straight pipe, 2 90's, 2 45's, flex joint 02 sensor bungs and two sets of v-bands was better than I could do piecing it together.

Helped a friend move Saturday then got to work on the down pipe when we finished up. Opened my exhaust kit and found I was missing the vband parts, hopefully I can get them in soon seeing how I'm about to the mid pipe secion.

IMG_20180728_211101.jpg

Here's a shot up top, about a 45 degree off the turbo and straight back to tuck between the header and the firewall. I had to cut some more out of the firewall, 3" is a pretty hefty size of exhaust!

IMG_20180729_203703.jpg

Here's a "glamour" shot for y'all. Ordered a #12 FUPA cup and picked up a new helmet when I was getting all my filler wire. My HF helmet kept switching on and off while I was TIG welding. I'd rather pay for a nice helmet than go blind lol.

Otherwise I've got this downpipe to snake down beside the transmission where I think I'll put the join in for the mid pipe. The pipe is going to be trimmed a bit on the right side, I put the vband on to make sure I could fit it past the headers.

Reactions: 4 users