1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

Well don't stop! People that will actually do this are rare! I just want you to make it easy for me :)

But shouldn't you be doing the AWD part first? I mean traction should be more important than power. I mean you want 3.xx second 0-60's, right ?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm digging the enthusiasm guys! I've about wrapped up the exhaust.

@98Mustang2017 the turbo was done now to make the exhaust easier to do, I only have room for exhaust to run on the passenger side due to the front driveshaft and diff being in the way.

I'll start with what's been eating my time the past couple weeks. My baby brother asked if I could help him respray his '83 Mercedes 300sd. Boy did we underestimate the time on that one. One week turned to about three. It isn't pro but it's not bad either.
2018-09-10.jpg

2018-09-10 (1).jpg

Before the interruption I was chopping and welding my fair share of stainless. Aside from adding a recirc. for the wastegate and tweaking the crossover for accessory clearance, the exuast is good to go.
IMG_20180901_093855.jpg

This is all most everyone is going to see. Single exhaust pipe out the back.
IMG_20180831_173500.jpg

And one of the few poor shots I took with it all buttoned up. Lots of pie cuts in this system.
It splits into three pieces with vbands, down pipe, mid-pipe and tail pipe. It's got a flex join about in the middle, really the only place I had to put it. I put in a glass pack in what I hope isn't a vain attempt to keep the beast quiet, and the whole thing hugs pretty well to the underside, The only place I worry about hitting the the end of the tail pipe on bad driveways but there isn't much to be done about that without cutting up the bumper.

My next task will be fuel system. Anyone recipes for a reasonably priced fuel system? I've got some ideas but wanna hear y'alls thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm here for the drive-train *popcorn*
A fellow Texan, eh ? I hope i get to ride in this superbeast when it gets done. ( 903 )

How much can the engine handle? I've always assumed Walbro had good priced pumps.
But i will tell you not to go the ebay route on injectors. i've seen videos of them with either bad spray patterns,.. or always spraying... one spraying more than others..or not woring at all.. bad stuff. But it could've been an injector company(or paid company/rigged flow test) trying to make a dollar. I mean all it is is electronically open and closed, right?

Could always de-cap good, small injectors. Some people swear by it working good. Just keep the wideband running.

I'm here for the drive-train *popcorn*
A fellow Texan, eh ? I hope i get to ride in this superbeast when it gets done. ( 903 )

How much can the engine handle? I've always assumed Walbro had good priced pumps.
But i will tell you not to go the ebay route on injectors. i've seen videos of them with either bad spray patterns,.. or always spraying... one spraying more than others..or not woring at all.. bad stuff. But it could've been an injector company(or paid company/rigged flow test) trying to make a dollar. I mean all it is is electronically open and closed, right?

Could always de-cap good, small injectors. Some people swear by it working good. Just keep the wideband running.

Oh wideband is a must. 500hp shouldn't be hard to do with the turbo I got, the internet says I can push power if I keep revs low so I guess I could try that. I've watched enough sloppy mechanic to believe in decapped injectors, I'd want them flow tested so I gotta weigh that against "good bought injectors".

@a91what
Right now I have the stock, carb tank as well as an sn-95 tank I thought would fit but it does not. Part of this if figuring out if I want to swap in a factory EFI tank and upgrade or jump to a fuel cell. I would like some sort of baffling or foam in the end. I could graft on the guts and flanges from the newer tank and upgrade the fuel pump and add some baffling while its cut apart :)

Oh! Here are some quick pics of what I worked on last night. If you've seen the interior shots you know I'm about sitting on the transfercase. I clearanced the (new narrower) driver's seat. Sitting in it you wouldn't even notice it's any different.

IMG_20180912_231020.jpg

With the large relief I can get the seat lower and more centered to the wheel than before.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh wideband is a must. 500hp shouldn't be hard to do with the turbo I got, the internet says I can push power if I keep revs low so I guess I could try that. I've watched enough sloppy mechanic to believe in decapped injectors, I'd want them flow tested so I gotta weigh that against "good bought injectors".

@a91what
Right now I have the stock, carb tank as well as an sn-95 tank I thought would fit but it does not. Part of this if figuring out if I want to swap in a factory EFI tank and upgrade or jump to a fuel cell. I would like some sort of baffling or foam in the end. I could graft on the guts and flanges from the newer tank and upgrade the fuel pump and add some baffling while its cut apart :)

Oh! Here are some quick pics of what I worked on last night. If you've seen the interior shots you know I'm about sitting on the transfercase. I clearanced the (new narrower) driver's seat. Sitting in it you wouldn't even notice it's any different.

IMG_20180912_231020.jpg

With the large relief I can get the seat lower and more centered to the wheel than before.
I've got a 5 gal (maybe more?) fuel cell I'd LOVE to get rid of. I could drop it off on my way through to Dallas next time.

I've got a 5 gal (maybe more?) fuel cell I'd LOVE to get rid of. I could drop it off on my way through to Dallas next time.
Thanks for the offer but I'm wanting 15ish in capacity.

I'm going to play with accessories this weekend and see what what I can get in place. I am confident I can fit an AC compressor, I'm not sure about the interior components though. Texas is so dang hot, I wanna be able to drive and not sweat buckets :)

Reactions: 1 users
Texas is so dang hot, I wanna be able to drive and not sweat buckets :)

Seriously. It was nice when it was raining but then the next day hit and the humidity wants to just cling to the face. I've been doing battery relocation myself.

Question: Do we need to replace the rack and pinion or are we able to make everything work? I have set plans to go to a salvage yard at end of the month, they are having a 50% off everything sale(except tires and batteries).

Normal costs are :
transfer case(4x4): $116
Rack and Pinion: $75
Driveshaft: $25
Does 4x4 need cv axle?: $32 x2 = $64
--------------------------------------------------------- $280 divided by 2 = $140 + 8% tax = $151.20
Front differential: $76 (not sure if loaded or not) $184

Might even have enough for my electric door conversion. and maybe some Explorer suspension and wheels. lol. I feel kinda like a MadMechanic. Maybe i should change my username to MadMechanic95 (the year of my car)

Anyways..off to youtube too see how things get installed/uninstalled on the ford explorers.
:o *yaWWnn*. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
Staying up as long as i can every night. Yeah i'm sober too. My drive is fueling me pretty good.I'm probably gonna crash and feel groggy when i wake up but oh well.

Last edited:
@98Mustang2017 I'm not sure I follow, I've replaced almost everything up front with explorer parts or one off's.

Here is a good half day's work on accessory bracket making:
IMG_20180916_213757.jpg

IMG_20180916_213736.jpg

Clears the hood by about a half an inch, maybe more. Looks like the trade-off for ac will be going to an electric power steering pump, I might can squeeze it under the ac compressor but it'll be kinda close to my crossover. I'll work in a tensioner pulley between the water pump and the alternator in the end. The setup to line up the mounting tab to the alternator at the right height was incredibly fiddly.

Reactions: 1 user
@98Mustang2017 I'm not sure I follow, I've replaced almost everything up front with explorer parts or one off's.

Here is a good half day's work on accessory bracket making:
IMG_20180916_213757.jpg

IMG_20180916_213736.jpg

Clears the hood by about a half an inch, maybe more. Looks like the trade-off for ac will be going to an electric power steering pump, I might can squeeze it under the ac compressor but it'll be kinda close to my crossover. I'll work in a tensioner pulley between the water pump and the alternator in the end. The setup to line up the mounting tab to the alternator at the right height was incredibly fiddly.
Maybe go epas type steering. Get the parts off an old Prius pretty cheap.

IMG_20180918_222439.jpg

Check out my automatic belt thrower :)
I got the ac compressor bracket tacked in place, it needs triangulated and fully welded..
The next step will be figuring out where idlers, tensioner and the power steering pump fit.

Am I wrong for thinking I can get away with less water pump wrap (1/4-1/3 of the pulley) by going with electric fans? I can see a couple of different ways to run the belt but I'm not sure which is best.

Reactions: 2 users
add another plate onto the bottom of the alternator bracket and do a regular pulley to gain more belt wrap... I had to get fairly creative with my setup as well.

just for reference.
20180715_150309.jpg

all kinds of pulleys are available and if you get creative an old socket drilled out/ ground slightly will work nicely as a bushing.

Pretty sweet vid circulating on FB showing another AWD coupe doing a nice 4-wheel tire smoking launch. I believe this car went with an LS1 and TBSS drivetrain to accomplish it.

Now I really can't wait to see this build get completed.

Pretty sweet vid circulating on FB showing another AWD coupe doing a nice 4-wheel tire smoking launch. I believe this car went with an LS1 and TBSS drivetrain to accomplish it.

Now I really can't wait to see this build get completed.
I saw that too yesterday! I couldn't find any solid build info. Just people referencing it having tbss parts and an ls. There IS an old thread on the corral about an tbss swap planned for a foxbody but it dies when people start throwing a fit about the ls swap. There is also a guy who swapped an audi drivetrain in his hatch.

to each there own i suppose, I am not a fan of the half breeds myself.... but I can appreciate anyone doing something right
The TBSS swap might drop right into a tubular k-member. The front diff bolts to the oil pan and crosses through. Get some FWD macphereson strut spindles (*cough* focus *cough*) and you got a good bit of work out of the way lol.