1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

• Sponsors (?)

IMG_20191031_180312.jpg

This has an inverted cone end, we'll see how it performs.

I got my clutch line in yesterday, turns out the t56's in 98-02 camaros use the same fittings as what I needed, got an damaged box special on amazon, 20 bucks for a flex clutch line

IMG_20191031_175508 (1).jpg

You do realize that the air that filter breathes is probably coming from the single hottest place in the engine compartment.:shrug:

You do realize that the air that filter breathes is probably coming from the single hottest place in the engine compartment.:shrug:
If I didn't I am thinking about it now. Here are some of my educated guesses:

I want to believe the radiator shroud that will be between the filter and the radiator will help with some of the heat from the radiator, I feel like ambient temp in an engine bay will only be helped by placing the filter in the fender or ducting air in, that's what I'm leaning towards.

That being said I want to postpone that journey till after the car can move under it's own power.

IMG_20191105_225221.jpg

Started wiring tonight. There are a lot of wires here but I didn't feel like it was overwhelming. About half the wires are for spark and injectors, the rest is just sensors and the majority of those were predefined and labeled. Dissecting what's needed for power wires was a good bit of reading but now I've got relays ready and fuse blocks on the way.

Now that I think about it, sacrificing a bag of zipties might be what made this so pleasant. For a couple bucks at harbor freight you've got a hundred ways to bundle wires together. Need to tweak something? Chop chop and zip it up.

I've got high temp cloth tape as well as a box of new and lightly used corrugated loom and a good amount of stock hold downs. I'm feeling good about this.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
I've actually started the car by this point. See here

Exhaust leaks, no coolant, a mystery sound I haven't diagnosed yet and no throttle control so I didn't run it for long.

I've been working on the throttle controller over the last week. It's been an example of iterative design. This is the third or forth iteration. I've added canbus and a second arduino in the process. Now we're talking right to the ecu, have pedal mapping and idle control. Bench tests looks good so I suppose I'll hook it up tonight and see if the hard work pays off.

IMG_20191202_081420.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I got the throttle controller working. It needs some enhancements but overall it is talking to the ecu and giving me a smooth operation.

My neighbor, an actual mechanic, is over and we start it up. He points out in a heart beat a noise I had not been able to figure out. The starter's still engaged. It's not so much the starter is stuck as it's too close to the flywheel. I didn't even think twice about reusing the starter from the explorer, the automatic explorer. Luckily there's no damage to the flywheel or starter and I just need a shim. Ordered. But I wanna try and get the car to run today.

IMG_20191207_101737.jpg

A little more trimming on the outside to fit and this thing works like a gem. For any concerned citizen the actual spacer comes in soon and the alignment precision of this spacer is just as good as any ford 2 bolt starter spacer.

So I got the car to "start" without that awful noise but it just barely ran. Lets try flipping the cam sync. Oh wow, the car actually runs, a very high idle but it runs and revs too. Unfortunately I don't have a complete cooling/fan system so I kept the RPM's very low and killed it soon after confirming the progress I'd made.

Any idle videos will come after a very squeaky pulley is fixed and coolant system is 100%

Reactions: 6 users
Mike, most of us are happy we remember how to breath.. and eat... and... ah oh look shiny. :banana:
It kills me that people ignore the spell check that pops up on everything they use to communicate. for alot of guys here, it's alright to look like they didn't make it out of middle school. Even as I'm typing this on this freakin phone, it's either filling in the word for me, or trying to guess what I want to say with recommendations below the written text. You actually have to try to look stupid.
Some people just prefer it that way I guess.

It kills me that people ignore the spell check that pops up on everything they use to communicate. for alot of guys here, it's alright to look like they didn't make it out of middle school. Even as I'm typing this on this freakin phone, it's either filling in the word for me, or trying to guess what I want to say with recommendations below the written text. You actually have to try to look stupid.
freaking*

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What he's trying to say is, don't sweat the small stuff.

I think you spend an unhealthy amount of time dwelling on the stupidity you perceive in those around you. You shouldn't let it get to you so much.

*a lot

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users