1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

1576199586644.png

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Here is the world's shortest charge pipe with BOV. Water/Meth injection coming soon.
IMG_20200107_080434.jpg

And here is my dirty car.
IMG_20200107_080405.jpg

It runs although I seem to keep forgetting to record a clip of it. It even moves the wheels (on stands)!

Fenders might need some modification to clear the tires and then I can start wiring the lights.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
LoL... I recall after a particularly hair raising build many years ago: Finally got the whole thing together and over to the dyno. I was so giddy that the thing ran and I'd finally ended the issues that I completely forgot to film the dyno.

The dudes in the shop were gracious enough to do one more pull after I explained. :nice:

Reactions: 2 users
"This is the only shifter I have made for this car"
The throw isn't short but it'll be fine, side to side is a short distance but overall this setup feels solid.

The setup here is the nub of the old truck shifter with a steel rod salvaged from an old table saw heated and bent with a bolt welded on the end for the shifter knob.

MVIMG_20200107_205111.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
This is the coolest project ever in my opinion. Congrats on the workmanship and creativity to get everything in there and working. I will be watching this even closer as it seems to be getting closer to a "driver", so are interested in seeing how the setup works together.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Seems a bit long. Stock shifters are ahead of the steering wheel (further reach than steering wheel), and yours is quite a bit farther back than the wheel. Are you a T-rex?

As someone once said "doin it anyway!"

But it really is comfy for me. That might change once I'm actually driving but for now it stays.

This is the coolest project ever in my opinion. Congrats on the workmanship and creativity to get everything in there and working. I will be watching this even closer as it seems to be getting closer to a "driver", so are interested in seeing how the setup works together.

Last night started the great light wiring project. Pulled the wrap off the front and rear wiring and clean it up in anticipation of re-installation. Now, you can't install lights into something with no bumper which wants fenders to locate it so that was the weekend project.

Fenders got the chop chop. I moved the front half of the arch 1.75" forward to clear my tires through turning. Tig brazed as much as I could in hopes of minimizing warping. I foretell hammering and filler in my future. As I was cleaning the areas for welding I found lots of bondo so if filler is whats needed to make these pretty I can live with that. Bumper received love and care in the form of reattaching studs and posts back on to the header panel.

Nuts and bolts were getting cleaned and painted so the bumper is just sitting in place but oh boy was I happy to see the bumper back on the car even if it's weathered as can be.
IMG_20200112_205912.jpg
IMG_20200112_203645.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm in wiring purgatory right now. Front light harness is good, the rear lights are getting 4 new sockets. I figured while I was relooming wires I'd add some features in I'd like such as a electric trunk release.

It was after I removed my trunk lid I noticed all the rust on the lip so I cleaned it up and primed and painted it. I have no qualms with drilling holes in a rusty trunk lid. To make the actuator work I brazed a bolt onto the release mechanism and then notched the trunk for the actuator motor and the linkage. Overall a quick project that keeps all the original functionality.
IMG_20200118_171028.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm LOVING the build. Working on trying to further my own knowledge so a lot of this build is really really interesting to me. I also always thought about doing AWD but didn't know how much work it would take to do it or if it was even possible. Very interesting.