1982 Gl 5.0 New Member Needs Imput

bill66s

Apr 25, 2013
Greetings. . . .Am picking up an 82 GL Mustang on Sunday and want to get right to work on it. A while back I had a 347 stroker built for a Sunbeam Tiger I had but ended up letting the Tiger go due to economic issues. So, I will now have a nice solid fox body to put the 347 in.
I will need an 8.8 rear and am unsure what years are best and will plug and play. Will also need 5 bolt front end. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I was thinking a readily available T5 trans would be suitable until I read that they are only rated to 300 ft lbs torque. I don't recall the torque rating on the 347 but at 425 HP it must be over 300. What is a good trans to install. The car will be used mainly for cruse nights and a couple of trips to the strip. I don't have unlimited resourses but want to do the job right.
Any imput will be appreciated. . . . . . thanks. . . . Bill

• Sponsors (?)

A T-5 will hold up for street driving, assuming you dont dump the clutch often. At the strip is where you will hurt it, unless you slip the clutch and dont hammer the shifts. A TKO 500 would be ideal for what would be a long term solution, if you ask me though. I am almost certain that any 8.8 from a fox mustang ('79-'93) will fit your '82. Any 8.8 from '94 on will be wider though. Most folks use front spindles from an SN95 mustang, along with the rotors and calipers to complete a five lug swap on the front. I have never done it personally, so be sure to research and make sure there are no little parts needed before you tear into it. Good luck with your project and welcome!

Make sure you get a rear end that has provisions for quad shocks. There is a big amount of noise from those who got rid of wheel hop with better control arms and stiff bushings. But I am partial to a good ride with new bushings and quad shocks. I am trying to remember - was 87 the first year for the quad shocks?

As far as 4-5 lug conversions, use search and the permalinks under 5.0 tech and talk sections. Depending on what the car came with, it would be wise for more stopping power to match the 347. Early four cyl. brakes could be a good reason for vinyl seat covers.

Thanks for the responses and info. I'm going to try and locate a 93 Mustang Cobra for the rear and front end parts. Probably will be hard to find. May also look into narrowing a later model rear end.
I have a friend that races several Chevys. He seems to think several people at the strip use the T5 world class with cars in excess of 500 HP.
I'll just have to keep researching and looking. . . . . . thanks again. . . . .Bill

elarm1, here are a few snap shots of the car. I didn't have much room with it being in the garage. The car is rock solid with no bumps or bruises. The only rust is on the surface of the lower front right apron which will be an easy fix. Why the hood rusted out the way it did I have no idea. Luckily the car came with a spare perfect hood. The car has its original paint which will also help the resto process.
I also attached a pic of the motor. I guess I'll have to sell the Tiger valve covers. I can hear the questions now " why do the covers say Tiger?" What is a Tiger?
Thanks for your interest. If you know of any parts that I could use, please let me know. . . . . Bill

Attachments

• DSC_1021.JPG
    DSC_1021.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_1022.JPG
    DSC_1022.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_1023.JPG
    DSC_1023.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_1024.JPG
    DSC_1024.JPG