1983 Mustang 2.3t swap info.

sims426

Aug 9, 2009
First off, I am not new to this site. I had to create a new account, my old one wasn't letting me post anything. Ok, I have a complete 88' turbo coupe and a roller 1983 mustang. The mustang was originally a v6 auto car, which now has no motor or trans. I plan to swap in the 2.3t and 5spd, but I have a few questions on wiring. I've read a lot about th 87-93 cars, but I found this 83 rust free coupe and couldn't pass it up. So here goes,
1. Do I have to pull the dash and put in the turbocoupe dash harness? Will the stock guages work?
2. Do I need to swap the engine bay harness from the t-coupe as well?
3. Will the pedal cluster and crossmember from the t-coupe bolt in?
4. Can I use the t-coupe gas tank, fuel pump, and sending unit? What about lines?
Sorry for all the questions, but as I said I've had no luck with info from the older carbed cars, especially a v6. Any help is appreciated, Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I did some research over on turbo ford, apparently there should have been a computer behind the passenger kick panel, but I pulled it and there is nothing there. So I guess that means I have to swap dash harnesses?

I have not done a turbo swap but I will try to answer what I can.

1. For the most part, no...however, Turbo Coupes had an electronic speedo and your car had a cable driven speedo. So, your stock speedometer will not work with the factory sender on the TC transmission. You will have to find a cable driven speedo and cable from a '79-85 Mustang to swap into your car.

2. You will need most of the harness, yes.

3. The pedals should bolt in, and if you are planning to keep the hydraulic clutch then you will need to use them.

4. You can't use the TC gas tank. Pump should work. Not sure about the sending unit or the lines.

Honestly turboford is probably a better source for info.

Also I sure hope that TC is trashed, wrecked or otherwise not nice...otherwise I will be very disappointed in you for cutting up a nice TC.

The turbocoupe is very rough as far as the body goes. Both quarters, doors, trunk lid, and lower front fenders are rusted badly. The hood is good, along with the front grille and bumper which will be going on my daily driven v-6 bird.
The seats and console will be going into the stang, and whatever parts I don't use for the swap will be sold. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what I find out.

Here is link at turboford.net.
TurboFord.net Forums: 2.3T swap into an 79-86 Fox mustang Write-up help needed
I have read a later model EFI fuel tank will fit with a little beating and banging on tank. If that is true could use later model 2.3 tank and lines from J-yard. The wiring I am unsure. Maybe have to use a EFI 2.3 NA harness [before airbag and ICM module] and repin per STinger site and run fuel pump and relay. I would not use the turbocoupe harness it is full of extra wires. Hope this helps Maurice

Are you saying I should use the 2.3 NA engine bay harness, or dash harness?
So I'd need form the junkyard:
1. EFI 2.3 engine bay harness
2. EFI Fuel tank from NA 2.3
3. EFI Fuel lines from NA 2.3
4. EFI Fuel pump harness

What else? I did notice my car actually has the grommet in the firewall where the newer cars ecu wiring passes through into the passenger compartment. I can post pics if needed.
Also I've read through that link before but they talk about the feedback carbed cars that have an "ECU" behind the kick panel, the 83 3.8 didn't have that.

I would confirm what I said about the EFI tank fitting your car. Maybe someone here or on net can confirm will myself also. I agree with what parts you have posted. As far as dash. I don't know. On my 89 there is not many wires to deal with at the computer that would have to be intergrated into the 83 harness. The efi pump harness run from the rear to a fuel pump relay under the drivers seat near as can remember. I would get that. Maurice
Here is link to my car. It is a turbo car I done all the work except for welding the exhaust and intercooler and the tire and front end alignment. This starts at the beginning non-intercooled with small vam and later changed computer, vam and intercooled. The MG I restored and the MGB I am building.
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/mgman75/?start=140

I just did this exact conversion, amost

I have an 83 turbo GT that the motor was trashed on. (Front end sheet metal was missing as well) So, I took an 88 TC and grafted it's guts into the 83 body. The challenges i faced were the dual fuel pump set up needed to change to a single pump setup, I used stock NA fuel lines from pull a part, worked and fit great. The wiring was a direct swap from the under hood to the computer inside, however the kick panel for the 83 does not have a place to mount the computer, it was mounted under the seat, but on the 83 turbo gt the wiring harness was longer, so i mounted the computer in the same place as the newer ones, with a mount plate, it sticks out a bit and you have to cover it up with a kick panel of your own design. The dash wiring worked fine, you just have to map the wires and pin them one for one. I did not remove the dash, it would not have helped anyway. The speedo issue depends on which speedo your tc had. It came in both digital and analog, if you have an electronic one simply remove the wire harnes conector that in is the place where the speedo cable woudl normally terminate at the transmission housing, and replace wiht a standard speedo cable and gear matched to your tire size and rear end gears. Hopefully you have the entire under hood harness if so this is an easy deal. If you have any detailed questions on my swap that may help you just email me.