1983 mustang

leos67

Nov 13, 2003
i am having trouble with this 83 mustang. i went to buy tires for it today and to my surprise the tire size was neither a 15" nor a 16" its in between, aparantly it has the original TRX wheels and tires so what i am planning to do is get some of those 16" pony rims. what i want to know is will a 245/50/16 front and 255/50/16 rear fit this car?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

leos67 said:
i am having trouble with this 83 mustang. i went to buy tires for it today and to my surprise the tire size was neither a 15" nor a 16" its in between, aparantly it has the original TRX wheels and tires so what i am planning to do is get some of those 16" pony rims. what i want to know is will a 245/50/16 front and 255/50/16 rear fit this car?
thanks
i was thinkin it was 14 1/2 uncle has an 84 gt350 and thats what size his is but u say urs is between 15 and 16 so i dunno

1985 5.0 said:
i was thinkin it was 14 1/2 uncle has an 84 gt350 and thats what size his is but u say urs is between 15 and 16 so i dunno
Close.

"Date: Wed, 3 May 2000
Subject: [uuc] Re: TRX Wheel Question

Hi Keith, back around 1980 or so, Michelin was trying to invent a better
wheel/tire combination. They decided that the bead angle (the angle of the
wheel lip where the bead mounts) should be 60 degrees instead of 90. Since this
was incompatible with everyone else's tires, they came up with their own wheels
in metric sizes. For example, the wheels on the 5-, 6- and 7-series of the mid-
to late '80s are 390 mm x 165 mm, which translates into 15.4 inches in diameter
and 6.5 inches wide. This makes it pretty much impossible to mount a
conventional 15 inch or 16 inch tire on a TRX wheel. Michelin sold these as OEM
to several car manufacturers, including BMW and Ford (Mustang, Capri)."

NosPony said:
Only one company makes tires for these I think its firestone or goodyear.
Didn't read my post I see.

Plenty of folks look for these things for restorations. At the price that Michelin wants for the tires and what the rims go for, you can sell them on ebay or over at FourEyedPride for some good money.

The TRX's are really good tires. They were high priced for awhile. But the last time I bought them, they were like $105 each. Michelin is the only manufacturer, but at least for awhile, you could get a retread version from Sears. I wore out two sets of new ones, and have a set and a half left of the 220-55-390's that I put on when I want to feel retro.

You should be able to find leftover sets cheap.