1984 Mustang/ Lexus Sc300.

SC300FOX

Feb 13, 2017
Hello everyone,

I realize I'm going to get a lot of grief for putting a Japanese engine and trans in my Mustang, however I am still going to try and learn from y'all and build the best drift car I can.

I will be using a 1992 2JZ GE engine from a Lexus SC300 and the W58 Transmission that is attached to it.

I want the car to be low and handle well while going sideways and any info I can obtain through this forum to achieve that would be much appreciated.

The first picture is of my actual car.
The second is of paint scheme inspiration (I will be incorporating Toyotas red/orange/yellow on my car)
Third is my wheel choice (Diamond racing steel wheels)
Fourth is of my fender flares (they are from a 280Z and will add 6 inches to the rear and 4 inches to the front for wider wheels and steering angle up front.

Attachments

• 13619910_125712677867263_2050684929264038856_n.jpg
    13619910_125712677867263_2050684929264038856_n.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 257
  • toyota-Celica-GTU_DV-08-MH_p05.jpg
    toyota-Celica-GTU_DV-08-MH_p05.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 789
  • diamond racing wheel.jpg
    diamond racing wheel.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG3651.jpg
    IMAG3651.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet.

I know just the guy to talk to about that Japanese engine. @TOOLOW91

They really are badass though. Monster power from them.

Start a new thread in the '79-'95 general talk subforum showing us your progress. We (generally) are judgemental about what you do to your mustang, and there are a lot of mechanics amongst us, so we can help a bit as well.

Good to have you with us.

To each his own, but I would think it would be cheaper and easier to just use a built windsor based small block ford. Besides there is nothing like the sound of a 500+ hp old school small block that is all motor.
I agree with the idea of keeping a ford a ford.

But, for interest sake, google what that little japanese six cylinder can do. 1500hp on a stock block.

Still doesn't sound like a V8. But holy crap, the 2JZ is loaded with potential. I can't blame a guy that isn't held up by keeping with ford only parts.

The block may handle 1500 hp but can you actually get 1500 all motor hp out of it? You probably can't get more than 450 w/o the help of a hair dryer and/or some juice. Look what they do in nascar, they're getting around 950 hp out of a 358" small block and its all motor. N/A motors are more forgiving too when the tune is not right. You push a 1500 hp turbo motor to the limit with a bad tune and you've got a paper weight.

While I agree with your points you are making here, and I will stay ford with my mustangs, I understand the interest in this engine.

I guess the point i'm making is that you wouldn't need to replace the block or internals as far as that goes and it will take 800hp. It's an impressive engine. So I do understand the interest, it's just not my cup of tea.

I personally will be putting a mildly built, bored and stroked 351 in my new project car. The sound of of a V8 can't be beat to me.

All that said, I would love to watch the build of this guys car. I love detailed stuff like this and all the modification/fabrication involved in making it work.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your self a favor and use a windsor based block for your build. The windsor blocks have a much better oiling system and the Cleveland blocks have a reputation of spinning bearings at higher hp levels. Also there is less parts to build a big cube cleveland than a windsor.

Do your self a favor and use a windsor based block for your build. The windsor blocks have a much better oiling system and the Cleveland blocks have a reputation of spinning bearings at higher hp levels. Also there is less parts to build a big cube cleveland than a windsor.
That's my intention.