1984 mustang lx 5.0L

• Sponsors (?)

It's a CFI car. There are 2 fuel pumps on the early fuel injected cars, low pressure in-tank & high pressure under the car. If clearance is needed you can run a '86-up high pressure in-tank pump and eliminate the under car pump. No wiring changes necessary, just use the whole pump assembly from the newer car. Leave the '84 sending unit alone, it gives a different reading than the later unit. However, there should be clearance without fuel pump changes, mock it up and let us know.

Of bigger concern is the rear brake line. Unless the rearend has already been swapped to the later 8.8 with centered body to differential brake line then there will be insufficient clearance between passenger side pipe to rear soft brake line, creating a potential safety hazard of having no rear brakes at some point in the future.

The brake line can very easily be changed, again using factory parts. Just get the hard brake lines from any '86-up Mustang 8,8. They are direct fit to the earlier 7.5 housing and have a center location for the body to diff brake line. Use a new soft line for the later car. Better yet, get a braided stainless line from Maximum Motorsports. Super easy & cheap upgrade, but a necessary one far a safe car, in my opinion. While swapping the hard lines it is a great time to replace the rear wheel cylinders if they have any age on them.

As a fellow 1984 LX owner I'd love to see pictures of your car. There aren't that many of them out there.

Jonathan

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
It is injected. I did also see the interference with the brake line also. I did get the exhaust up and definitely to close the the fuel pump. I do like the idea of going with the hi pressure pump in the tank. Didn't know there were 2 pumps. Thanks for the info I will get some pics up as soon as I figure out how. Lol

Jonathan, here is a pic bought it out of indiana 2 yrs ago 135,000 miles well kept. small surface rust on deck lid and 2 spot in the floor pan area about the size of 1/2 dollar.

Attachments

• stang_1.jpg
    stang_1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 201
I like that car man !!! My car also came from Indiana. One of my favorite cars was an 84 i owned a few years ago.

Nice whip. Two questions -
1) are the wheels original or did u get the standard sized ones from LMR or where did u fine the metric sizes tires? Coker?
2) how did you end up hanging the muffler on the passener side? What hangers did you go with? Go pics? This is my current headache.
Thx

The wheels were already on the car when I bought it. It does need new rubber they are showing signs of dry rot. And for the exhaust I bought the exhaust hanger and clamp kit from american musle worked out well with a couple of modification to the hangers had to bend and twick a little. I had to relacate the fuel pump to get it up nice and tight on passenger side and worked out great. I will post some pics when I get it back up in the air.

If those are original TRXs, you’ll save money by buying the set on LMRs site.

I mean the wheels and tires from LMR, those stupid tires for the originals are stupid expensive......STUPID EXPENSIVE!

I do like the look of them though.