Progress Thread 1985 Gt I Finally Have A T Top Car.

• Sponsors (?)

I finally used my fender roller!

Was rubbing a tad when the tank was full and over :poo:ty roads, I liked the stance so I rolled the lips vs raising the rear. Attempted to also get an alignment but was turned away ( no appointment ) I should have known.

Finally washed it, and it is raining. Looks pretty good but could use a paint detail/buff
AmRRCfX.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
interesting, i never knew that different years had different internal drive gears. LMR calc says I have a 17 and need an 18, for 15 bucks its worth a shot!

I am assuming this is the stock 85 T5
245/45/17 rear end
3.27s

Reactions: 1 user
interesting, i never knew that different years had different internal drive gears. LMR calc says I have a 17 and need an 18, for 15 bucks its worth a shot!

I am assuming this is the stock 85 T5
245/45/17 rear end
3.27s
You can try it Joe but likely the new 18t plastic gear is going to disintegrate just like my 21t did. Maybe it'll last a little bit longer than mine :shrug: I stuck the stock plastic gear back in and now I use my phones GPS to get my mph

But that throws the odometer off. That would drive me absolutely nuts.

My 21 tooth, and current 20 tooth gear are doing fine. Key is to skip LRS, track down the Ford oem part number and see if the local dealer can get you one.

But that throws the odometer off. That would drive me absolutely nuts.

My 21 tooth, and current 20 tooth gear are doing fine. Key is to skip LRS, track down the Ford oem part number and see if the local dealer can get you one.
Does it make a big enough of a difference in strength? The 21t gear has such thin teeth on it which makes it too weak to hold up to the task. Mine maybe lasted 400-500 miles.

Does it make a big enough of a difference in strength? The 21t gear has such thin teeth on it which makes it too weak to hold up to the task. Mine maybe lasted 400-500 miles.

Yes, the Ford gears look much beefier than the aftermarket LRS versions. I'll see if I have part numbers to see if the local Ford dealer has some. My purple 21 tooth I got from Ford for my AOD lasted 40-50k miles, and the red 21-tooth went 1k before I swapped to an LRS 20-tooth for my new tire size.

Let me see what I can dig up after dinner

So I dug out my gears. Left three are Ford gears I bought at a dealership, right gear is an LRS gear. You can see the difference in plastic, and the LRS gear is lighter too.

There was a list of Ford oem part numbers fit the gears. I'll see if I can pull up once back on a pc

IMG_2734.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
So not to hijack further,

Red 21-tooth (manual) C4OZ-17271-A

This may be OEM (say's it's a Ford part), but I would try a local dealer first to get one that actually comes in a Ford bag.
Amazon product ASIN B000O0V4JWView: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-C4OZ-17271-A-GEAR-DRIVEN/dp/B000O0V4JW

For other gears, check this chart out

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/tipsPDF/SpeedometerGearUsageChart.pdf

If you notice, they only give a partial p/n. The middle digits are all the same, so see above. "17271" is the constant. So for a blue 18 tooth manual gear the part number would be C0DD-17271-B

Unsure if ford has discontinued any of these though

That thing is crazy clean man.

I'm digging it even more each time I see it.

Id be tempted to install one of these:

86saleen3small2im-jpg.506510.jpg

banshee03-jpg.509283.jpg

...but alas, this shaker has been gone a long, long time.

If anyone ever comes across one, snatch it up, even if you don't intend to use it.

Edit:

Oh... Time to repaint the trim and apply tint to the tails. :D