Electrical 1985 Gt Wiring Questions

droopie85gt

Hookers and Beer for life!
5 Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Cordova, TN
A little background. I've had a 85GT for 8 or 9 years and it had a 3g alternator upgrade when I got it. I've converted it to Holley Commander 950. I am in the process of replacing the C950 with the HP ECU and want to redo all of my wiring I used to install it originally. I am also wanting to get rid of the TSAD and all the wiring associated with it and simplify the A/C wiring. I am thinking of doing a partial wire tuck. Hide some of the wiring, and add the underhood fuse/distribution box from a SN95. I'm trying to make heads and tails of the existing wiring. My biggest question is that I want to run a 4g wire with fuse from the alt to the solenoid. Or I should say, I was checking to see WHAT was run.

So there is a 4 or 6g wire from the alt to what looks like the existing wires. From the alt is a black w orange stripe wire. It's spliced to a smaller wire that's black and orange. There's a ton of factory splices and then there's one 14 gauge fusible link that runs to the solenoid. From what I am looking at it would seem that when the car is not running. that one wire is providing power to the entire car. There are lots of 10 gauge yellow wires and other wires with factory splices. Since I didn't see a 85 wiring before it was modified it makes me question what I see.

1st pic is the solenoid. You can see the green wire coming off. (The battery and battery cable are out right now.

1.png

2nd pic...what is this thing? I was thinking diode, but the A/C diode is over on the other side on the A/C harness.

2.png

3rd pic. The cable from the alt is spliced to the car wiring.

3..png

4th pic. The green fusible link is spliced to a red and yellow wire.

4.png

Here's a look at the mass of splices down here between the solenoid and alternator..right by the battery. A lot of them go into the harnesses headed towards the headlights.

5.png

• Sponsors (?)

I cleaned up the part in question. Does anyone know what this is on an 85 5.0 Mustang.

20170902_212814.png

It's tied to a big ground splice (all the lights among other things) and the red/blue wire runs to the rubber plug that goes on the start post of the solenoid. The ground wire if you look close to the bottom of the pic is deteriorating, so I need to fix that. I was wondering if this is a diode or resistor. I was thinking it was for the lights status panel that tells you if you have a light out. But the evtm, makes it look to me like every light has special high resistance wires. I know there's a diode for the a/c clutch but that's on the a/c harness. I've got a wiring digram and the evtm, but I am at a loss.

Oh, and I did this yesterday. I removed the TSAD ecu and started to remove it's harness. I know I have to go back and figure out how to power up the A/C now, but that's the least of my problems. I want to trace the entire tsad harness back thru the driver's side firewall and unpin and remove all that useless stuff. I guess it wasn't useless in 85 but it is to me. I am going to run the A/C with the Holley HP ECU so it will control my WOT throttle cut out.

20170902_160941.png
20170902_160953.png
20170902_172437.png

If anyone has ever removed a TSAD harness and has some tips, I would LOVE to hear them!

Well if you had tips and tricks to give, you're too late. I did it my own way. I am closer to get this pile running or selling it as a pile of disassembled garbage! I was stuck at the point of if I want to remove all this bs wiring, I need to take the dash out. Which I did. ANd somehow managed to get all the connectors undone and the someone managed to get the harness and all those damn connectors out the tiny hole in the firewall. I think there are still some wires I can get rid of, but I am not sure.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Reactions: 1 user