Electrical 1985 Mustang LX/GT Ignition Coil Wiring Issue

OK friends I have ran into another wiring issue that I need help with. I have the TFI ignition system with the square ignition coil and when someone connected the wires to the coil they used spade terminals instead of a replacement pigtail. I am now trying to install a new pigtail but the previous owner had 2 red with light green tracer wires plugged into the left terminal on the coil and a single dark green with yellowish dots wire plugged into the right terminal on the ignition coil. My issue is the new replacement pigtail is completely opposite with a single red with a blue tracer wire on the left side of the connector and 2 green with yellow tracer wires on the right side of the connector when plugged into the coil. I can re-pin the connector so the two wires are on the left side of the connector and the single wire is on the right side of the connector but I have noticed someone has already burned one of the red with light green tracer wires and the green with yellowish dots wire near where the wires were plugged into the coil and I want to prevent from starting any electrical fires myself with the new connector. I have done research but all I can find in the wiring diagram from my Haynes manual shows a single red with light green tracer wire and a single green with yellow tracer wire coming out of the coil. I have also looked online but the only wiring diagrams I could find were for the Duraspark ignition system with a round coil instead of a square coil like me. I have provided pictures to help identify my issue. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice I can get to tell me how this connector should be wired properly. NOTE: the wire on the right side of the first picture with all of the electrical tape is the green with yellowish dots. Someone put the electrical tape on it to cover the exposed wire since it seems to be burned all the way to where they connected it to the coil.

IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I just replaced my coil and pigtail and the original pigtail had 2 red and one green wire(first pic) The replacement has 2 green and one red. I was concerned at first, but when I looked down into the coil connector the 2 pins are marked + and - so I soldered the 1 red to 2 red wires and the 2 green to the 1 green and she fired right up. 20180518_150208.jpg 20180523_175936.jpg 20180523_180038.jpg

Reactions: 1 user