Progress Thread 1985 Thunderbird Fox Body

StrokedBird

Jun 19, 2021
SPOKANE
So, I have been tinkering with my '85 TBird that I picked up about 3 months ago. A little back story, it was an original 5.0L Automatic (AOD) car with a 7.5" rear axle with rear drum brakes, tiny front disc brakes, 54,000 miles and never wrecked, other than a few small door dings it's pretty damn straight and the interior is 98% and all original. I purchased it from a guy that had installed a 351W stroked to 410ci with SCAT forged bottom end, all ARP bolts holding it together and FloTek 180cc aluminum heads along with a small roller retro cam and Edelbrock Performer intake that was killing the power. He had also installed a FiTech fuel injection system on it and after a couple of years messing with it he never got it to run as good as he thought it should. I found several things half-assed and cheaply done prior to my tear down. So I put it up on my lift and grabbed some tools. Out came the motor, transmission, rear end, K-Member and all suspension. I had previously purchased an 8.8" 3.73 geared rear axle assembly with rear disc brakes, UPR adjustable upper and lower trailing arms for a Fox Mustang that I planned to build. After cleaning things up a bit and a little touch up paint, I installed those items this past weekend. Today I removed the steering column pedal assembly and brake booster, I reinstalled the extra Brake/Clutch pedal assembly for the manual transmission going back into the car. I have ordered up and still waiting delivery on a QA1 K-Member, lower adjustable A-Arms Koni Adjustable struts, Brembo ATS front calipers, Taurus 43mm rear Calipers and new rotors for all four corners. Here is a few photos of how things are coming along.

Attachments

• Bird 02.jpg
    Bird 02.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Bird 01.jpg
    Bird 01.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 36
  • Bird 03.jpg
    Bird 03.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Bird 04.jpeg
    Bird 04.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors(?)

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Nice looking project. I've really been wanting to get my hands on a non-Mustang/Fairmont/Zephyr fox platform car for a future project. There are some obscure cars out there that were on that platform: 1981-82 Granada, 1981-88 Thunderbird/Cougar, etc. I'd really like a Granada.

StrokedBird

Jun 19, 2021
SPOKANE
I hear ya, finding a 1981 Granada 2 door would be awesome, but you would probably have better luck being struck by a flying saucer.

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
Connecticut
Looks like a cool project , good luck with it !
Not sure what your plans are for the engine and I'm sure you already know, but those Flotek heads are
robbing you of some power.

Reactions: 1 user

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I liked highway cruising in my 87 Cougar. The extra two cylinders and displacement would have been more fun.
Good luck getting the bugs out.

StrokedBird

Jun 19, 2021
SPOKANE
The FloTek heads are going away and new AFR's are going back on, just not sure yet which ones, probably 195cc runners. The FloTek 180's are a stock OEM style replacement head so you are correct Sir, they are costing me power. I have also bumped the cam profile up a bit, I just don't want too much cam and heads because this thing is going to run pump fuel as a summer driver not a drag race car. I also don't plan on running more than 1-3/4" headers and 3" exhaust on it but may have to back that off to 2-1/2" exhaust to fit properly, another bridge at another time. I am considering running 72cc chamber heads dropping the compression ratio and stuffing a ProCharger in there somewhere.

Bird76Mojo

Jul 12, 2018
Central Illinois
Nice looking project. I've really been wanting to get my hands on a non-Mustang/Fairmont/Zephyr fox platform car for a future project. There are some obscure cars out there that were on that platform: 1981-82 Granada, 1981-88 Thunderbird/Cougar, etc. I'd really like a Granada.
There was a mint Ford Durango for sale on Facebook a couple weeks ago if you really want obscure..

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
There was a mint Ford Durango for sale on Facebook a couple weeks ago if you really want obscure..
I'm not necessarily after obscure for obscurity's sake. I just actually like the Granada and Cougar of that era. They look like miniature versions of my '90 Grand Marquis.