1986 2.3L Turbo dies while driving

CougarGal

Feb 8, 2004
Hi! I've been browsing through threads here for two hours and can't find a possible solution to my Cougar's (current) problem. It has compeltely died on the road 4 times now while traveling anywhere between 40mph and 75mph. It seems to be running along just fine, then - NOTHING - all the gauges drop to zero and it completly powers off. I've been able to depress the clutch (it's a 5-speed) and then release it and it's started back up (sorta like rolling it off with a dead starter) until yesterday - it died at a red-light BUT it started back up after trying it about 5 times and then ran the rest of the way home without a problem. HELP!!! PLEASE?? I'm wondering if it could be the computer going out but every Ford that I've had previously that had a computer problem never started back up once they died the first time. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it's obviously an electrical problem. That is the only type of problem that can be intermittant. I would say the TFI is failing but the fact that it will start right back up if you clutch it disputes that possibility.

It would help greatly if a diagnoses was done after it quit to see what exactly is happening (no fuel, no spark, etc.).

Stinger

Thanks Stinger! When it did it the first time, I thought I had had another fuel pump to go out (replaced it several years ago) but, like you said, it started right back up after a couple of 'hitches' so I ruled that out pretty quick. It's like the entire electrical system just dies and when I initially tried to restart it yesterday, it wouldn't even attempt to crank -- just click, click, click (like a dead battery will do) except that my hazard lights were working! If it were the computer, do you know whether the hazard lights would still work or not? Bear with here, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to all the computerized sensors on these cars - my REAL baby is a 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula with not a computer chip to be found on it anywhere (except the stereo system). I've nevre had to try and trouble-shoot one that had all these sensors and such on it. I noticed that the wiring/plug on the TPS is pretty frayed and if I 'jiggle' it around a bit with the car running, it will either die or idle REALLY rough - I'm wondering whether this would cause it to just cut out like it's been doing or if I need to be looking at other possible causes. Do you know if the computers in these cars will do this intermittent mess or, like the ones I remember, just go completetly out and never work again?

THANKS again for your input.

Well, since the TPS plug is bad I would look into replacing or repairing it. Unfortunately, this will not cause the problem you are having.

Considering the fact that your car would not even crank over, I would take a real close look at your battery cables. If you alternator where going bad AND you had a bad connection at the battery or a faulty cable then it would quit running shortly after the cable lost connection. This would cause all large electrical items to fail but small items (like your hazards) to continue working.

If the computer fails then it's done. It can't "repair" itself nor can it work again after some time.

Stinger

Stinger said:
Well, it's obviously an electrical problem. That is the only type of problem that can be intermittant. I would say the TFI is failing but the fact that it will start right back up if you clutch it disputes that possibility.

It would help greatly if a diagnoses was done after it quit to see what exactly is happening (no fuel, no spark, etc.).

Stinger
Just got off the phone with Auto Zone and have a possibly dumb question as they didn't know what I was talking about: What IS a TFI? Thanks again!

Stinger said:
Well, since the TPS plug is bad I would look into replacing or repairing it. Unfortunately, this will not cause the problem you are having.

Considering the fact that your car would not even crank over, I would take a real close look at your battery cables. If you alternator where going bad AND you had a bad connection at the battery or a faulty cable then it would quit running shortly after the cable lost connection. This would cause all large electrical items to fail but small items (like your hazards) to continue working.

If the computer fails then it's done. It can't "repair" itself nor can it work again after some time.

Stinger
Already thought of that. The battery is new and the terminal connections are both clean and snug. The alternator also is fairly new and seems to be working like it's supposed to be. I'm pretty happy to hear that the computers still do what the older ones did (i.e. go out and stay out) but I have to depend on this car for a daily driver so I'd really like to figure out what's going on with it. I've dropped about $2,000 in it during the last year (replaced ALL the gaskets, complete new brakes, clutch, turbo, water pump, heater core, A/C evaporator and timing belt) and now THIS problem... :bang:

Imagine that, Autozone doesn't have a clue :rolleyes:

TFI-Thick Film Ignition-Ignition module located on the side of the distributor.

Batter and cables are new but yet it doesn't even crank over on occasion. The ONLY thing that could cause that is a bad connection at the batter, starter solenoid, or starter itself. I'm beginning to think that is a seperate, isolated problem.

Start your car and reach down and wiggle the wires on the TFI (again, located on the side of the distributer, directly below the alternator and a few inches to the rear. It's a 3x4" grey box with about 10 wires coming out the back). Anyways, grab those wires and wiggle them around. I have a feeling the engine will studder and die just like the TPS.

Stinger

Oh, also...don't buy a TFI from Autozone. They are lifetime warranty BUT they tend to go out ever 6-12 months. You're better off spending the extra money and getting one from Ford (IF we decide that's the problem....though I don't think it is at this time).

Stinger

Stinger said:
Imagine that, Autozone doesn't have a clue :rolleyes:

TFI-Thick Film Ignition-Ignition module located on the side of the distributor.

Batter and cables are new but yet it doesn't even crank over on occasion. The ONLY thing that could cause that is a bad connection at the batter, starter solenoid, or starter itself. I'm beginning to think that is a seperate, isolated problem.

Start your car and reach down and wiggle the wires on the TFI (again, located on the side of the distributer, directly below the alternator and a few inches to the rear. It's a 3x4" grey box with about 10 wires coming out the back). Anyways, grab those wires and wiggle them around. I have a feeling the engine will studder and die just like the TPS.

Stinger

Now you know why I don't call Auto Zone more often. Of course, I didn't feel quite so dumb when they didn't know what it was either LOL. I'll give your suggestion a try in the morning when it's light outside again. The only time the car's failed to start up properly is when it's died while running like this. It turns right over every morning without even having to touch the accelerator and generally just purrs like the big cat it is EXCEPT the four times now that it's decided to just quit in the middle of the road, that is. I'm still hoping that the problem IS one of these sensors or the wiring to one of them. Thanks again for your help!

One more thought is to scan for codes. This is the computer telling you what it knows is wrong. Autozone CAN do this for you if you don't have a scanner (about 30 bucks from Autozone). Sometimes they won't do it unless your check engine light is on...being a "gal" though you shouldn't have any trouble talking them into it without a CE light ;)

Stinger

Stinger said:
One more thought is to scan for codes. This is the computer telling you what it knows is wrong. Autozone CAN do this for you if you don't have a scanner (about 30 bucks from Autozone). Sometimes they won't do it unless your check engine light is on...being a "gal" though you shouldn't have any trouble talking them into it without a CE light ;)

Stinger
Oh, they'd probably run them for me :D (they know my car and me there very well) but my own honey will take care of it for me, no doubt. But thanks for the advise, just the same.