1986 Fuel Injected To Carb Swap

Paul98

Jul 7, 2016
Not a whole lot of people seem to want to do this, but I'm curious. If I swap out the newer fuel injected 302 with older carbed 302 would I have to change the transmission? On top of that the older one doesn't have a computer with it, is that going to be a huge issue as well? I've done work on carb engines just fine, not so much on fuel injected because after mods I don't have the tools to tune and sync everything properly. Never swapped an engine either. Seems like fun. Thoughts/input?

• Sponsors (?)

Two questions here
#1 why are you swapping to an older engine with a carb
#2 why are you not keeping it efi?
Now for the transmission question: depending on the year engine you want to use there is a flywheel balance difference, some are 28oz some are 50oz, also there are front drive accessory issues, fuel pump pressure issues and wiring for ignition.
It would be easier to keep it efi if thats what the car was originally setup with.
Efi to carb can be done and look good and be efficient but it also drops the value of the car.
Disclaimer: you will catch some flack from some on here but I assure you its mostly in fun, most here have seen the butchery that can happen when someone embarks on this path.
If your serious about it there is a person that has a recipe for a successful conversion.

I'm not too worried about value of the car, it's a toy, my baby and a lifer for me. And I saw it done once, however the never got it running so he's clearly not the one to ask. My biggest thing is after the swap I, me myself, can fix tweak and upgrade anything on it and know it'll work without a sensor not cooperating or something like that. Plus I think it'd be easier to put turbos on with a carb engine. But then again I'm not sure. Just got to a point where I can finally start making this thing fast after years of waiting

You don't need to swap the trans. It's not computer controlled.

You'll need to address the high pressure fuel system though.

You don't need to tune the efi system for every mod you do. Perform a mass air swap and then you could do an H/C/I swap and still not need a tune.

Convert it to mass air. Fuel injection is better than a Carb. Driveability is better, tuning for different environments and altitudes is computer controlled, and I would think a turbo would be easier to do.

I agree with everything jm said except efi being better than a carb. That is a subject that's like a bumpy road.
If you chose a carb setup just do a clean job and and don't hate the haters.
Most of it here is good clean razzing anyway.
Start a thread and document your work here and I guarantee at least one follower.

My first mustang was Carb. After dealing with that, I can't stand them. Of course very large elevation changes don't help.

Reactions: 1 users
turbo with a carb easier than with an EFI and easier to tune with a carb vs. efi?
upload_2017-5-16_0-28-39.gif

My $0.02

Stay with EFI. Convert to mass air or go with aftermarket EFI. There are good and bad points to both until you throw a turbocharger into the mix, then EFI is much easier to deal with.

I'm biased, I'll admit it. I dislike dealing with carburetors so much I went EFI on my Mustang II. (Though my Capri is, and will be staying, carbureted for the forseeable future.)

I'm 36.

I came into the driving age in the late 90's. I think Carbs were pretty much phased out by then.

My lawnmower has a carb, but I do zero maintenance on that POS.
So you are older than me.

I started driving in 2000, but I was poor trailer trash, so my first three cars had carburetors. (1975 Chevy pickup and two 1984 Camaros) :rlaugh:

I'm 36 as well, but couldn't afford newer cars. I once was one of those guys that thought fuel injection sucked, was slow, and throttle response was lacking. Then after being an auto mechanic most of my adult life, I realized how much better efi was overall.