Progress Thread 1985 GT 5.0 Mustang Restoration/Bringing my dad's old car back to life

Kyle, take a deep breath and relax a minute.

When you are ready, check that all connections are tight, bleed the master (it can be done on the car), and then do the complete bleeding process again.

Check to confirm that the booster vacuum is hooked up correctly.

If your problem is still there then take a hard look at the booster, new or not.

• Sponsors (?)

Bad booster would just feel hard. Sinking to the floor usually means air in the system still, however if the pedal gets rock hard and stays at the top of the stroke with the engine off, it could mean there isn’t air.

All the lines are new? No signs of leaks anywhere in the system?
Yea, no leaks, it builds and holds fine after a couple pumps with the engine off, I replaced the rubber lines, not metal.

Hey how's it going, it's been a while since I last posted on here, but the car is driving, and we got it home. Going to get the exhaust flipped since whoever put in the after-market stuff, put it in upside down. That should seat the exhaust pipes right under the bumper like stock and shouldn't scrap the mufflers over speed bumps any more and the exhaust pipes on driveways. Then it's also getting aligned and new tires this coming week. We also have to replace the heater core and thought why not do the wiring at the same time while the dash is off.

My dad is worried about the old wiring harness causing an electrical fire, so we are looking into getting a new one. Do any of you guys have suggestions for a new harness? Also, we are thinking about getting a new clutch adjusting system, and do you guys have any suggestions for those? Thanks a lot, here are some pictures while we wait on parts... :rock:

yep. I got a manual when I started the project, it's a necessity for restoring these cars. The dash wiring is hopefully good, I don't think it messed with, but it's the engine bay harness thats grubbed by some rats and crappily put back together. any ideas on clutch assembly adjusters??

here, hope they soothe your eyes as they did mine.

Attachments

• front11.jpg
    front11.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 59
  • onstandswnewstuff.jpg
    onstandswnewstuff.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 64
  • newstuff.jpg
    newstuff.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 56
  • newstuff2.jpg
    newstuff2.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 60
  • gasstation1.jpg
    gasstation1.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 59
  • gasstation2.jpg
    gasstation2.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 59
  • gasstation3.jpg
    gasstation3.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 62
  • bootypic.jpg
    bootypic.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 62
  • at shop last.jpg
    at shop last.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 57
  • shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 4 users
Hey how's it going, it's been a while since I last posted on here, but the car is driving, and we got it home. Going to get the exhaust flipped since whoever put in the after-market stuff, put it in upside down. That should seat the exhaust pipes right under the bumper like stock and shouldn't scrap the mufflers over speed bumps any more and the exhaust pipes on driveways. Then it's also getting aligned and new tires this coming week. We also have to replace the heater core and thought why not do the wiring at the same time while the dash is off.

My dad is worried about the old wiring harness causing an electrical fire, so we are looking into getting a new one. Do any of you guys have suggestions for a new harness? Also, we are thinking about getting a new clutch adjusting system, and do you guys have any suggestions for those? Thanks a lot, here are some pictures while we wait on parts... :rock:
What was the solution to the brake problem?

What was the solution to the brake problem?
Well, I like to think that there's just a ton of air in the lines, as I bleed the brakes for hours only getting little bubbles while I had the pneumatic bleeder on it as my dad was pumping the brake pedal. It would bubble in the master cylinder and a little air would come out the line each time. we got the brakes to somewhat work to a driveable manner and are going to take it to a shop for alignment after new tires on her today. We'll have the shop guy check it out because they still don't feel right. I think bleeding it again may have helped but ill know for sure when it's back home.

@Kyle427, the red interior is in amazingly good shape for a 36-year-old car. No cracks in the dash or any of the plastics. The outer panels of the seat backs are faded, but no tears. I do have a set of TMI replacement upholstery, but I don’t think it’s the correct replacement color.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to need an engine harness for my 83 and it seems I will have to build my own... After looking at whats out there I think I will use the weatherpack terminals using Crimp tool #12014254.. I like the Rennsteig pew-12 crimper too, but its a bit much for my bank account....
I have at least one wire coming off of ( where the engine harness plugs into) that the insulation is flaking off I need to replace too... but most of the wiring looks good.... Hoping interior harness( under the dash) is good, but I haven't got there yet....

Are the bleeder valves in the calipers UP? I have seen them installed facing down is why I ask....
Honestly, I'll have to double-check, but I don't think so. We are basically at the same place with the harness I found a guy with an 84 willing to sell the harness so I might be in luck. Other than that the fox went to a tire and alignment shop in the past couple of days. Getting it back tonight well see how it is.

@Kyle427, the red interior is in amazingly good shape for a 36-year-old car. No cracks in the dash or any of the plastics. The outer panels of the seat backs are faded, but no tears. I do have a set of TMI replacement upholstery, but I don’t think it’s the correct replacement color.
Every part of the top dash mat is munched from the sun, but the plastic dash is in good shape, I would like to laser cut my own aluminum gauge cluster, or center console dash. I'm jealous of the red interior, they look beautiful in these cars (IMO).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user